Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Focus: What do I listen to next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote anoopanunya Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Focus: What do I listen to next?
    Posted: August 09 2020 at 18:16
So long story short I知 a millenial who just got into prog rock a year or so ago. I absolutely loved Moving Waves (especially Eruption, I知 a drummer lol) and I知 not sure where to go next in terms of their discography. What would you suggest?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 18:41
Most would say Hamburger Concerto for the next Focus lp

...but if you are a drummer you need to listen to ELP...the first one to hear Carl Palmer.

And then this ....Close To The Edge to hear Bill Bruford....

And I'm sure the other PA members will recommend other things...

Edited by dr wu23 - August 09 2020 at 18:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 19:24
Hi,

HC is probably right ... but for a drummer? 

I think that listening to the early Guru Guru is probably the best idea ... to see how a drummer who likes to say that he doesn't drum with anyone except the music, and I like to think that often this is not something that most players are used to ... since in Guru Guru, for the first 6 albums (through Tango Fango), it is not exactly about the rhythm ... specially in the early days of the experiments and stuff that Ax Gernrich did with them. How do you drum to the LSD march? You kinda don't ... you just add touches to it! Not "drumming".

Nowadays, you would get a strict time keeper that could not let off his snare drum, and ruin the freedom of the music by sticking it to plastic!

I would recommend Bill Bruford, btw, but not in the early days ... what he does in YES is nowhere near as good as some of his work in KC ... and then later when he was able to do complete improvisations with a guitar player and they never discussed anything they would do or did ... move along to something else ... and knowing, feeling, and wanting to "color" those moments is what the music is about ... not time keeping ... Berklee music can not get its head around that yet! 

And then ... there is one drummer, that does not use his snare a lot ... he uses a circle of toms instead ... but this is probably too advanced to suggest to a "drummer" maybe?

I would rather suggest you hear someone like Steve Gadd, and what he does for Rickie Lee Jones (early albums), and many years later to Kate Bush (Snow) ... and in this last one, there is no "format" or time keeping, because she is already on to the next phase or section of a song, that is continuous and not "time" tied! At that point ... it is all ... what do you do when you should NOT be keeping time ... something that most drummers have no idea how to do and refuse to learn!

In one example, this group had a marvelous piece of music, and one of the saddest drummers I have ever heard ... it's like he was hitting the snare hard to ask the band to return to the beat ... and he did not know how to color anything, except hit the snare ... it was by far, one of the saddest exercises in drumming I have ever seen ... and his drumming was the same the whole thing through.

Carl Palmer is something special, and it's hard to not look at his impact in ELP ... his work is about helping the ACCENTS in the lyrics and how Greg Lake sings them, and then help Keith maintain the solo ... but strict time keeping as most drummers do today, would ruin the flavor of the music ... think about this ... "don't tell me lies" ... boom boom boom ... quick silence ... not snare drum ... you have to think outside your beat keeping to add to the music ... and this is a good learning thing from CP ... and in a lot of ELP's work. 

All depends on how you look at things ... develop into something special or just go back to high school tempo and time! 

Edited by moshkito - August 09 2020 at 19:27
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 19:57
Those are good suggestions by Dr. Wu. However, if he has been into prog for a year my guess would be has already heard close to the edge and ELP by now. ;) At least I hope so. Tongue I would think most would discover those before Focus. 
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 20:19
I just love this oddly titled closing track from Sebastian Hardie's "Four Moments" album.  Recommended for Focus fans

Edited by kenethlevine - August 09 2020 at 20:19
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 22:40
Focus 3. Hamburger Concerto is great quality material, but I always found it too brief, especially after Focus 3, which was a double album. I'd recommend Focus 3, but that's me. In and Out of Focus is their first album and a must listen. It alternates Prog pieces with more accessible pieces. Both of those albums also have the same drummer, Pierre Van Der Linden, who you heard on Moving Waves. Hamburger Concerto does not.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:11
If we're talking drummers, I second Steve Gadd. The group he's in with Michael Brecker is great (Steps Ahead). One of the greatest drummers of all time in my opinion is Vinnie Colaiuta. He can be heard on plenty of albums. He played with Zappa from 1978-1980 (so he HAS to be good, it's a requirement), and he played on one of my favorite Allan Holdsworth albums, Secrets. In general, I think any drummer needs to hear the playing on Zappa's records, particularly from his 70s and 80s output (including posthumously released live albums, his groups were better live). Aynsley Dunbar, Ralph Humphrey, Chester Thompson, Terry Bozzio, Vinnie, Chad Wackerman, all essential.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:13
The ideal solution would be to give the Dutch band Solution a listen. I think you'll like them. Smile
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:16
Hamburger Concerto is maybe the best Focus album in terms of material, but if you're a drummer you might want to try Focus 3 first as that's a double album with longer arrangements and features some great work by Pierre van der Linden, especially on Anonymous II.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
Cactus Choir View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cactus Choir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:18
Originally posted by Cactus Choir Cactus Choir wrote:

Hamburger Concerto is maybe the best Focus album in terms of material, but I agree with HackettFan if you're a drummer you might want to try Focus 3 first as that's a double album with longer arrangements and features some great work by Pierre van der Linden, especially on Anonymous II.
"And now...on the drums...Mick Underwooooooooood!!!"

"He's up the pub"
SouthSideoftheSky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Symphonic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SouthSideoftheSky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:19

Hamburger Concerto is excellent. And the live album Live in England is fantastic.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 02:49
Originally posted by anoopanunya anoopanunya wrote:

So long story short I知 a millenial who just got into prog rock a year or so ago. I absolutely loved Moving Waves (especially Eruption, I知 a drummer lol) and I知 not sure where to go next in terms of their discography. What would you suggest?

Welcome!  Please enjoy this recent recording by Jan Akerman, a reprise of a song on Moving Waves:

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 03:00
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The ideal solution would be to give the Dutch band Solution a listen. I think you'll like them. Smile

Absolutely. Stunning music (vocals less so, but most of their stuff is instrumental) and the musicianship is stellar.

I'd also give Moonmadness a listen: Andy Ward is a stelllar drummer.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 03:01
Focus 3 and Hamburger Concerto. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 06:15
Any of the first 4 Triumvirat releases.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 06:50
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

A good suggestion actually; there is a connection with Moving Waves: The 6th part of Eruption, Tommy, is a guitar adaptation of Solution's Divergence, written by Tom Barlage.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 07:25
I wouldn't skip on 'Ship of Memories' as well, perhaps my favorite Focus record. A bit more jazz/fusion-like, but the compositions are quite diverse and intense.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 07:48
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I just love this oddly titled closing track from Sebastian Hardie's "Four Moments" album.  Recommended for Focus fans

Love that one..recommended it on another thread recently.
Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 12:58
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Love that one..recommended it on another thread recently.
Smile

yeah it captures such a wonderful almost pastoral mood.  And, well, the mellotron solo is to die for
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:23
Focus 3, their best album
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>