Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is PF - DSotM psychedelic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Is "Dark Side of the Moon" psychedelic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [28.95%]
27 [71.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is PF - DSotM psychedelic?
    Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:25
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Very interesting to see so many opinions presented like facts. The Internet is great.

Thanks for presenting another Internet stereotype: those who have utterly nothing worthwhile to offer, but still feel the necessity to type.

Haha, you got me! It brings out the "best" in all of us. Anyway, I did actually give my thoughts on the matter at hand earlier in the thread. I'm just not a fan of saying it like "PF is..." or "PF is not..." when this is something so subjective.

Everything everyone has to say is opinion. At long last people are getting their confidence back after years of having some belligerent attacking "opinion" as "opinion!". Good to see people being forthright and not having to say imo etc.

Just as it was good to see PF progressing psychedelia. Didn't they do well.

Echoes is equally as structured. All the sections are superbly cued and paced. Psych is more improv than prog is. PF couldn't jam out too much on Dark Side - no room. Doesn't stop some from sl*g.ing off Money for this function even when that it also equally structured, precise and thus able to be expanded live.

IMVVVVHO....
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 01:17
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yes, absolutely.

I try not to ever bring it up, and I know nobody asked, but for the sake of this argument i'll put it out there that i've used psychedelics before and I think that album captures really well the sort of reflective and introspective head space that psychedelics put you in. Also, the song "On The Run" does a phenomenal job of imitating the auditory hallucinations that you can sometimes experience while tripping, its generally a little more ambient in real life though. The actual music is just on the same wavelength, but the subject matter deals with topics and ideas that you generally can really deeply explore while on planet Lucy. It's hard to describe but i'm voting a hard "yes" on this one. To add on, i've never listened to the album while on psychs, so that isn't skewing my perception. Perhaps Piper or Meddle are more psychedelic in the traditional sense, but Dark Side is psychedelic in a more "night time introspective trip" way
I was just thinking to "On The Run". Absolutely psych, as well as the clocks on "Time".
"Us and Them" is Psych enough, too IMO.

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 12:29

Very interesting to see so many opinions presented like facts. The Internet is great.

Thanks for presenting another Internet stereotype: those who have utterly nothing worthwhile to offer, but still feel the necessity to type.

Haha, you got me! It brings out the "best" in all of us. Anyway, I did actually give my thoughts on the matter at hand earlier in the thread. I'm just not a fan of saying it like "PF is..." or "PF is not..." when this is something so subjective.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:55
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

Is that good or bad?
Works for me! We were asked to offer our opinions on a classic prog album, and we offered them. Wink
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:51

Is that good or bad?
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 06:42

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 23:19
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:48
It's probably because of Pink Floyd that Psychedelic and Space are mixed.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:30
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Deadwing Deadwing wrote:

More space rock than psychedelic, maybe? At least for me most tracks fits in that category except The Great Gig In the Sky and Money.
I'd go along with that. All of Pink Floyd's albums sound more Space Rock than Psychedelic Rock to me in my hippie part of the universe. Smile

I see a strong distinction between space rock and psychedelic rock, which is why I asked about Hawkwind earlier. To me, Hawkwind are the quintessential space rock group, but they don't sound psychedelic to me. By contrast, Nektar - Journey To The Centre Of The Eye sounds both space rock and psychedelic. Thus, I ask whether Dark Side of the Moon is psychedelic without any mention of space rock.

I always think of Space Rock and Psychedelic Rock as being entirely separate too, even though they're both lumped together as one music genre on ProgArchives. In the same way as Hawkwind are the quintessential Space Rock band without sounding psychedelic, The Doors  are the quintessential Psychedelic Rock band without sounding spacey. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 11 2020 at 06:32
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:02
Since they started as a Sychedelic band, they always had some inflluences on their music, but gradually they evolved into a very ditincit sound, combining blues ans synphonic influences with it.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:30
I think Dark Side is psychedelic, space rock and prog at the same time, if that's possible. So I voted yes. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 04:28
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

More space rock than psychedelic, maybe? At least for me most tracks fits in that category except The Great Gig In the Sky and Money.
I'd go along with that. All of Pink Floyd's albums sound more Space Rock than Psychedelic Rock to me in my hippie part of the universe. Smile

I see a strong distinction between space rock and psychedelic rock, which is why I asked about Hawkwind earlier. To me, Hawkwind are the quintessential space rock group, but they don't sound psychedelic to me. By contrast, Nektar - Journey To The Centre Of The Eye sounds both space rock and psychedelic. Thus, I ask whether Dark Side of the Moon is psychedelic without any mention of space rock.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 04:08

I'd go along with that. All of Pink Floyd's albums sound more Space Rock than Psychedelic Rock to me in my hippie universe. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 11 2020 at 04:24
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:59
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:45
"Dark Side of the Moon" has nothing to do to "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" in terms of psychedelic. So, definitely, "Dark Side of the Moon" has very few to do with psychedelic music, in my opinion. Besides, only "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn" is a totally psychedelic album. Even "A Saucerful Of Secrets" isn't a pure psychedelic album. It's more a transitional album. The pure psychedelism on Pink Floyd's music ended with the departure of Syd Barrett from the band, I think. 
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:31
My favorite overrated album of all time from this website - it's definitely progressive rock!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:26
I'm not really even certain what 'psychedelic' means, but in music, for me personally, it seems to indicate a quirky, whimsy, eccentric, colourful and slightly childish approach, which aims to emulate the personal filter stripping properties of hallucinogenic drugs, laying bare ones inner child, wide eyed and innocently fascinated by the world around them...all the while wearing a ridiculous shirt.

So, no I don't regard DSOTM as psychedelic. It's a dark examination of mortality and sanity among other things.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:14
No. DSOTM is not psychedelic nor prog. It's art rock.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 00:18
No, the psychedelic elements in PF's music disappeared into the past with the 1960's, except for a word in the title of one single album track.

Edited by someone_else - August 11 2020 at 00:20
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 22:30
There's no way On The Run or Any Color You Like aren't psychedelic. But as with all things DSOTM doesn't fit cleanly into any one box. I'll say generally it's pretty psychedelic, just ask anyone who dropped acid to it in the 70s.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>