Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is PF - DSotM psychedelic?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Is "Dark Side of the Moon" psychedelic?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
11 [28.95%]
27 [71.05%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is PF - DSotM psychedelic?
    Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:07
There is currently a poll asking if Pink Floyd is prog. I think they are definitely prog, but I will ask a more specific question about whether "Dark Side of the Moon" is psychedelic. Pink Floyd started their career with the psychedelic album "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", but gradually changed their style with subsequent albums such that "Dark Side of the Moon" is quite different to "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn". So, even though "Dark Side of the Moon" is quite different to "The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn", is it still psychedelic?

What about "Wish You Were Here"? Or "Animals"? Or "The Wall"?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:11
I would say it's not psychedelic and not space rock either. An album of a mature band, bigger than any categories.

As well as "Wish You Were Here", "Animals" or "The Wall".
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:21
Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I would say it's not psychedelic and not space rock either.

Do you think Hawkwind are psychedelic?

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
DarkTower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:39
Not at all
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:39
touches of, certainly not as much as their earlier work. overall, I'd say not. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:42
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by NotAProghead NotAProghead wrote:

I would say it's not psychedelic and not space rock either.
Do you think Hawkwind are psychedelic?

I don't think of Hawkwind at all. Smile
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 13:50
I definitely think that they became something different than psych by the time DSOTM came along.  But I'm one of those who feels, from observation, that psych evolved into progressive music.  As PF evolved as they explored music through their particular strengths.  I actually love their psych era, they became more accessible with DSOTM, certainly.  But they really just are themselves, they never didn't sound like PF, no matter which genres they were stretching.
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:07
There of course is some psych, but I rather it more experimental. All the different tape loops they created for all the different sounds.
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:27
It's not psychedelic in the classic sense but the album definitely redefined what's considered the psychedelic sound.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:29
Yes, absolutely.

I try not to ever bring it up, and I know nobody asked, but for the sake of this argument i'll put it out there that i've used psychedelics before and I think that album captures really well the sort of reflective and introspective head space that psychedelics put you in. Also, the song "On The Run" does a phenomenal job of imitating the auditory hallucinations that you can sometimes experience while tripping, its generally a little more ambient in real life though. The actual music is just on the same wavelength, but the subject matter deals with topics and ideas that you generally can really deeply explore while on planet Lucy. It's hard to describe but i'm voting a hard "yes" on this one. To add on, i've never listened to the album while on psychs, so that isn't skewing my perception. Perhaps Piper or Meddle are more psychedelic in the traditional sense, but Dark Side is psychedelic in a more "night time introspective trip" way

Edited by dougmcauliffe - August 10 2020 at 14:35
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 14:51
I'm always drawn towards threads that have "psychedelic" in the title. Wink

No, Dark Side of the Moon doesn't sound psychedelic to me, but The Piper at the Gates of Dawn and A Saucerful of Secrets DO sound psychedelic. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 15:05
I think the first album has some strong hints of what came to be known as prog but over all I would say it's psych. The same thing with Saucerful of Secrets but that one was even closer to prog(especially the title track). By the time they put out More I would say they were more progressive than psych and the same thing with AHM even though they both have psych elements. To be fair I don't think PF ever really shed their psych or space rock elements or if they did it didn't happen until the wall and by then they were probably only borderline prog at best anyway. The wall to me is more of an art rock album or maybe even hard rock.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 18:18
Not really, no. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:00
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yes, absolutely.

I try not to ever bring it up, and I know nobody asked, but for the sake of this argument i'll put it out there that i've used psychedelics before and I think that album captures really well the sort of reflective and introspective head space that psychedelics put you in. Also, the song "On The Run" does a phenomenal job of imitating the auditory hallucinations that you can sometimes experience while tripping, its generally a little more ambient in real life though. The actual music is just on the same wavelength, but the subject matter deals with topics and ideas that you generally can really deeply explore while on planet Lucy. It's hard to describe but i'm voting a hard "yes" on this one. To add on, i've never listened to the album while on psychs, so that isn't skewing my perception. Perhaps Piper or Meddle are more psychedelic in the traditional sense, but Dark Side is psychedelic in a more "night time introspective trip" way

It is not psychedelic. It wasn't considered psychedelic in 1973 when I was a teenager, and it still isn't now. Psychedelia in rock had for all intents and purposes died in or around 1971. The last Floyd album with bits of psychedelic accouterments would be Meddle, and that fits with that 1971 time-frame. By the time Obscured by Clouds was released in 1972, Floyd had abandoned the extended-form psychedelic epics like "Echoes", "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", much of Ummagumma, "Saucerful of Secrets",  "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Ovedrive".

DSotM is controlled and purposeful in its approach. The musicianship is very tight -- there is no free-form exposition inherent in psychedelia. The attention to detail in the studio is still a marvel nearly 50 years later. It is conceptual and seamless in how one composition flows into the next. And while one could certainly get high while listening to Dark Side of the Moon (and we did, often and quite heavily), the same could be said of any number of non-psychedelic prog albums of that era; which is probably why A Passion Play, Close to the Edge, and even proggy non-prog albums like Quadrophenia were monster sellers -- because you didn't have to move to touch the record unless it was time to flip sides. Of course, the same could be said of Black Sabbath which, I would suggest, more stoners got high to than just about anything else in the epoch.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:04
The moved from psychedelic to space rock after Syd Barrett, then Obscured by Clouds and Meddle marked a shift away from Space Rock as David Gilmour applied his influence on the band to more melodic shorter compositions (apart from Echoes).
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:07
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Yes, absolutely.

It is not psychedelic. It wasn't considered psychedelic in 1973 when I was a teenager, and it still isn't now. Psychedelia in rock had for all intents and purposes died in or around 1971. The last Floyd album with bits of psychedelic accouterments would be Meddle, and that fits with that 1971 time-frame. By the time Obscured by Clouds was released in 1972, Floyd had abandoned the extended-form psychedelic epics like "Echoes", "Alan's Psychedelic Breakfast", much of Ummagumma, "Saucerful of Secrets",  "Astronomy Domine" and "Interstellar Ovedrive".

DSotM is controlled and purposeful in its approach. The musicianship is very tight -- there is no free-form exposition inherent in psychedelia. The attention to detail in the studio is still a marvel nearly 50 years later. It is conceptual and seamless in how one composition flows into the next. And while one could certainly get high while listening to Dark Side of the Moon (and we did, often and quite heavily), the same could be said of any number of non-psychedelic prog albums of that era; which is probably why A Passion Play, Close to the Edge, and even proggy non-prog albums like Quadrophenia were monster sellers -- because you didn't have to move to touch the record unless it was time to flip sides. Of course, the same could be said of Black Sabbath which, I would suggest, more stoners got high to than just about anything else in the epoch.
  Spoken as from one who was there, Dark Elf.  Wink
And I don't doubt your being able to listen the way you did while psychedelicized, Doug.  Just as psych itself, as the original genre played out and in defining it, Dark Elf explains it well.  It certainly could take one on a trip, but it was a different kind of trip than the psych-tinged earlier music of PF did.  It does miss the free-form experimentalism that was a hallmark of true psych.

Edited by Snicolette - August 10 2020 at 20:14
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 22:21
I definitely hear more space rock elements in Dark Side and Wish than psychedelia. But as been stated before, I'm sure psych fans of all ages dig it.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 22:30
There's no way On The Run or Any Color You Like aren't psychedelic. But as with all things DSOTM doesn't fit cleanly into any one box. I'll say generally it's pretty psychedelic, just ask anyone who dropped acid to it in the 70s.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 00:18
No, the psychedelic elements in PF's music disappeared into the past with the 1960's, except for a word in the title of one single album track.

Edited by someone_else - August 11 2020 at 00:20
TexasKing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexasKing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:14
No. DSOTM is not psychedelic nor prog. It's art rock.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>