Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90125 vs Three of a Perfect Pair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [47.69%]
27 [41.54%]
7 [10.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:04
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

90125 is the clear choice for me, the KC album is shy of 'perfect'.

Yep, the question isn't which one is more prog it's which one do you prefer? I would like to start over since one person on here technically cheated but there doesn't seem to be a way to delete the poll at this point so I'll keep it. However, if 90125 has one more vote or is tied just keep in mind someone on here didn't hear the other one so technically it's a tie if 90125 is up by one. Wink

Shall I vote ToaPP to calibrate then? Shocked

Yes but only if you don't actually feel that TOOPP is better than 90125. I know it sounds weird but it would balance things out and we can call it even if you do. ;)

Both are straight up 7/10ers for me.

Went and did it, so there ya go. All is right with the world.

Or is it? LOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:12

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

90125 is the clear choice for me, the KC album is shy of 'perfect'.

Yep, the question isn't which one is more prog it's which one do you prefer? I would like to start over since one person on here technically cheated but there doesn't seem to be a way to delete the poll at this point so I'll keep it. However, if 90125 has one more vote or is tied just keep in mind someone on here didn't hear the other one so technically it's a tie if 90125 is up by one. Wink

Shall I vote ToaPP to calibrate then? Shocked

Yes but only if you don't actually feel that TOOPP is better than 90125. I know it sounds weird but it would balance things out and we can call it even if you do. ;)

Both are straight up 7/10ers for me.

Went and did it, so there ya go. All is right with the world.

Or is it? LOL

I like both albums quite a bit. KC's is more interesting and more prog but it also took me a very long time to warm up to where as 90125 didn't.  
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:15
^ Similar situation with me. There was a time Yes would've won this comfortably. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 20:34
I own both of these albums. I’m a big Adrian Belew fan (especially his solo work). Robert Fripp and Bill Bruford too, the latter who has been in so many of my favorite bands (Yes, UK, and KC, among others). I also absolutely love Fripp’s stuff with Andy Summers. But, of that rendition of KC, which was a great one, Three of a Perfect Pair is excellent, but not their absolute best. For me, Discipline is the best one. Beat is also a better album.

On the other hand, I love Trevor Rabin’s music from this time period, and 90125 is among my top ten favorite albums of all time. He batted that one out of the park. On top of that, his solo album Can’t Look Away from around the same time period is super, too. He had this highly imaginative burst of creative energy.

Since we are voting on album, I would have to say that Rabin comes out on top.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 22:25
MY SKIN

IS METALLIC NOW
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:32
Actually...

...Both on this one.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 01:34
90125. I like every track, but half of TOAPP bores me.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 03:04
90125 - 2.5*
TOAPP - 2*

Two albums which did not survive the "moving to a smaller house and need to get rid of all the c**p in my massive vinyl collection" moment about 15 years ago.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:03
I prefer King Crimson of these two.
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:21
Both equally
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:30
King Crimson for sure. The songs are more exciting to my ears.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:49
Yes by far. ToaPP was the weakest of the 80's KC. The band was falling apart when they made this and you can hear it in the lackluster performances. Industry is awful. Sleepless, Man With an Open Heart, Nuages. All not good. Only the first and last track were good.

All tracks on 90125 were good.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:43
Three is cool prog---90125 is not. It's stadium power pop. 

So KC.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:11
3 is the least of the primary colors trilogy.
90125 was fresh when it came out, but not as prog as before.
Both slightly disappointing at the time.  90125 a little less.

90125 gets my vote.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:21
Don't mind what label we stick on either album, I like them both. But to me 90125 is more consistent high quality.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:08
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Three is cool prog---90125 is not. It's stadium power pop. 

So KC.

Again, the question isn't what album is more prog but which you prefer. It sounds like you prefer it just because it's prog and the other one isn't.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:09
KC
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 13:38
'Pair makes the other look like a children's album.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr prog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr prog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 15:56
Three is crimsons second best album behind Poseidon. Even with smelly Sleepless
All I like is prog related bands beginning late 60's/early 70's. Their music from 1968 - 83 has the composition and sound which will never be beaten. Perfect blend of jazz, classical, folk and rock.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:08
Three of a Perfect Pair by quite some distance for me.
Between the two, back in the day I loved 3 more than 90210 [Wink], and I think 3 survives the era a bit better as well.

It's funny to me that some focus on Perfect Pair's pop quality given how far out everything from Nuages on is. Honestly it's one of the stranger and more experimental albums of the period. I'd risk saying that you'd have to go to the farther edges of the 80s industrial and Goth scenes to find equivalent experimentation at that time.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>