Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

90125 vs Three of a Perfect Pair

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which album do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
31 [47.69%]
27 [41.54%]
7 [10.77%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:12
Originally posted by questionsneverknown questionsneverknown wrote:

Three of a Perfect Pair by quite some distance for me.
Between the two, back in the day I loved 3 more than 90210 [Wink], and I think 3 survives the era a bit better as well.

It's funny to me that some focus on Perfect Pair's pop quality given how far out everything from Nuages on is. Honestly it's one of the stranger and more experimental albums of the period. I'd risk saying that you'd have to go to the farther edges of the 80s industrial and Goth scenes to find equivalent experimentation at that time.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you ever heard Birdsongs of the Mesozoic or Djam Karet? Univers Zero were around in the 80's too. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of experimental prog going on then.
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:19
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Between the two, back in the day I loved 3 more than 90210 [Wink], and I think 3 survives the era a bit better as well.

It's funny to me that some focus on Perfect Pair's pop quality given how far out everything from Nuages on is. Honestly it's one of the stranger and more experimental albums of the period. I'd risk saying that you'd have to go to the farther edges of the 80s industrial and Goth scenes to find equivalent experimentation at that time.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you ever heard Birdsongs of the Mesozoic or Djam Karet? Univers Zero were around in the 80's too. I'm not an expert but I'm pretty sure there was a lot of experimental prog going on then.

Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!
But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. 
I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 16:27

But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. 
I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more "out there" although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 17:31
Well ... I knew that folks here on PA would never allow such a poor showing for KC (not the Sunshine Band by the way) and so they finally ... after many many votes ... rounded up their proggy forces for a real squeaker. But, you've gotta hand it to him. Trevor Ray-Bans hung in there pretty well against the likes of Fripp, Belew, and Bruford. Hee hee!

(and if you take away the 5 or so people who didn't read the rules and voted based on progginess alone, a clear disqualification, Rabin still wins the day!)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 18:12
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Well ... I knew that folks here on PA would never allow such a poor showing for KC (not the Sunshine Band by the way) and so they finally ... after many many votes ... rounded up their proggy forces for a real squeaker. But, you've gotta hand it to him. Trevor Ray-Bans hung in there pretty well against the likes of Fripp, Belew, and Bruford. Hee hee!

(and if you take away the 5 or so people who didn't read the rules and voted based on progginess alone, a clear disqualification, Rabin still wins the day!)

No, what annoys me the most is when people vote when only knowing one album.
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 18:48

Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Three is cool prog---90125 is not. It's stadium power pop. 

So KC.

Again, the question isn't what album is more prog but which you prefer. It sounds like you prefer it just because it's prog and the other one isn't.

no Three has more prog credibility but there are a few proggy songs on 90125---but that album sounds dated and the other doesnt--so I prefer Three now---
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 20:13
Dated back to the awesome 80s!   Nothing wrong with that.     90125 is even better than 90124!

(The MTV video for Owner ... was pretty bad, though not as bad as Journey’s Separate Ways. I preferred all the fence jumping in Saga’s On the Loose and the Indiana Jones video of Don’t Cry by Asia).

Edited by Jaketejas - August 11 2020 at 20:22
countdm View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote countdm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 21:09
definitely ToaPP
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 21:19

Three is cool prog---90125 is not. It's stadium power pop. 

So KC.

Again, the question isn't what album is more prog but which you prefer. It sounds like you prefer it just because it's prog and the other one isn't.

no Three has more prog credibility but there are a few proggy songs on 90125---but that album sounds dated and the other doesnt--so I prefer Three now---

To be honest I think they both sound dated but that doesn't prevent me from enjoying them. I think some of the synths and electronic drums on three sound dated. As for 90125 I guess just the all around production is a bit dated and maybe some of the keyboards. Two different albums regardless. I'll admit 90125 is more poppy. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 11 2020 at 21:19
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 03:07
Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Three is crimsons second best album behind Poseidon. Even with smelly Sleepless
Levin is insane on Sleepless. It sure is commercial, but is such a dramatic song I can’t help but love it. It’s Man with an Open Heart (surgery ha ha) that is the worst song ever by Crimso IMO.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:24
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by dr prog dr prog wrote:

Three is crimsons second best album behind Poseidon. Even with smelly Sleepless
Levin is insane on Sleepless. It sure is commercial, but is such a dramatic song I can’t help but love it. It’s Man with an Open Heart (surgery ha ha) that is the worst song ever by Crimso IMO.

I don't know about that: it's got plenty of competition.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:43
90125 for me.

Am I the only person in the world who loves "Changes"? It's my favorite track in that album. And the cover that Enchant did of that song was equally good
questionsneverknown View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote questionsneverknown Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:50
Originally posted by <div><br></div><div>Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!</div><div>But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. </div><div>I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.</div>[/QUOTE

[/QUOTE wrote:

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more "out there" although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 

[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the heads up on DK (well, the Djam one; I'm far more au fait with the one with Jello!)--but Djam is a blank spot for me. Know the name, but haven't listened to them. Will do so.

And, correct, Nuages finished Side One of ToaPP; the transition to the largely instrumental Side Two. It's a good song.
The damage that we do is just so powerfully strong we call it love

The damage that we do just goes on and on and on but not long enough.

--Robyn Hitchcock
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 10:57

Originally posted by <div><br></div><div>Ha! Yes, I'm sure I'm overstating things!</div><div>But, yes, I do know Birdsongs and UZ and oodles of other cool bands from that time. And just prior to all that there'd been stuff like This Heat. </div><div>I think what I was trying to get at is that Three is far from the pop album others seem to be making it out to be, and I recall vividly at the time, when it came out, as a mere teenager, I found the 'out there' quality of Side Two quite staggering.</div></td></tr></table>
<div><br></div><div>Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more out there although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. </div>[/QUOTE

Don't forget DK.;) Yeah, I was a teenager in that decade also but for most of it I was only aware of Yes, Genesis, ELP, Rush and King Crimson. I didn't discover more obscure stuff until the late 80's(and even then only a little)but mostly 90's and later. Yeah, side two was more out there although I remember nuages being the last track on side one on my cassette tape. I was never really a big fan of it but I might feel differently now. 
[/QUOTE wrote:

Thanks for the heads up on DK (well, the Djam one; I'm far more au fait with the one with Jello!)--but Djam is a blank spot for me. Know the name, but haven't listened to them. Will do so.

And, correct, Nuages finished Side One of ToaPP; the transition to the largely instrumental Side Two. It's a good song.

[/QUOTE]

For Djam Karet I say listen to the devouring first. Burning the hard city and reflections from the firepool are supposed to be very good too but I haven't heard them yet.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 12 2020 at 10:58
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 14:36
I recently discovered DK on Pandora. Interesting stuff! From what I’ve heard, I like the improvisational style of the guitar. It’s weird how you’ve never heard of a band before (and that is an old band) and then all of a sudden their name starts popping up everywhere. I’m thinking ... why now?

It is possible that this poll might come down to penalty kicks!   
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 15:46
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

I recently discovered DK on Pandora. Interesting stuff! From what I’ve heard, I like the improvisational style of the guitar. It’s weird how you’ve never heard of a band before (and that is an old band) and then all of a sudden their name starts popping up everywhere. I’m thinking ... why now?

It is possible that this poll might come down to penalty kicks!   

There's what I call the Bermuda triangle of prog. Bands more than say 5 years old sometimes fall in it. I believe Mastermind is in it too. LOL 
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 22:10
Bermuda Triangle of Prog.   That’s great!   
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:28

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

KC, no question. Aside from Man With An Open Heart & Model Man the album is top notch. 

It's funny you say that because those might be my two favorite songs from the album. LOL

Funny old world. My least favourites, sorry Adrian...

Can't really decide between the albums though...
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:58
Industry is a master statement. Sleepless is one of the best and most powerful commercial songs ever; actually I became addicted to it at the time and it is one of my most listened to songs of all time, if not even number one in that respect (although I'm fine with Owner as well). The rest from 3oPP isn't bad either.
90125 is hit and miss. 3oPP by a country mile.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2022 at 11:20
King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>