Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)
    Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:44
ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE: THE YES ALBUM that never was, although it's generally regarded as a YES album in all but name amongst fans. Interestingly, the album has the Arista catalogue number 90126, indicating in a subtle way that the ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE album was a follow up to the commercially successful 90125 YES album. In the sometimes FRAGILE relationship between band members, TIME AND A WORD has it that there was a MAGNIFICATION of tensions within the band and Jon Anderson wasn't happy with the musical direction YES was taking with Trevor Rabin's strong influence in the band. There was even TALK of Anderson being CLOSE TO THE EDGE of leaving the YES line-up altogether. In the ensuing DRAMA, Jon Anderson regrouped with sometime YES members Steve Howe, Rick Wakeman and Bill Bruford. Unable to use the YES name for legal reasons, and maybe lacking inspiration for a new band-name, this new YES line-up found themselves GOING FOR THE ONE most obvious band-name of all and named the band after themselves. And so, in something of a YES re-UNION in the constant RELAYER race of YES line-ups, the four erstwhile band members set off for London, Paris & Montserrat to record the album. Upon the album's release in the summer of 1989, it may not have moved HEAVEN & EARTH, but it was a BIG GENERATOR of album sales and ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE climbed THE LADDER of success to reach No. 14 in the U.K albums chart.  The album also went on to sell over 500,000 copies in the USA alone, equalling sales of the legendary TALES FROM TOPOGRAPHIC OCEANS album in the first year of its release in the USA. The future for YES was glowing as brightly as a bright red TORMATO and the stage was now set for a full re-UNION of eight YES members in their following album in 1991. And so, it's time now to gather the KEYS TO ASCENSION and OPEN YOUR EYES and ears to this rather splendid album we have here. There are nine YESSONGS on the ANDERSON BRUFORD WAKEMAN HOWE album and I'll post the videos below before I FLY FROM HERE. Smile

All YES albums in BLOCK CAPITAL highlights

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 08:45
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:56
1. Themes

2. Fist of Fire

3. Brother of Mine

4. Birthright

5. The Meeting

6. Quartet

7. Teakbois

8. Order of the Universe

9. Let's Pretend

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 11 2020 at 06:20
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 05:57
ABWH was not released as a Yes album because no Squire, no Yes. 

This album never did much for me and I've tried. Big smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:11
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ABWH was not released as a Yes album because no Squire, no Yes. 

This album never did much for me and I've tried. Big smile
I'm hearing the ABWH album for the very first time today and it was an instant hit with me, despite lacking the distinctive sound of Chris Squire's thunderous bass lines. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 11 2020 at 06:46
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:21
We get Tony Levin instead of Chris Squire.
Side 1 of ABWH is a winner. Side 2 not so much.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:31
I think it's a solid album. 3.5 stars.

The DVD - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe An Evening of Yes Music Plus, if you can find it, is superb. Something all Yes fans should own.

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - August 11 2020 at 06:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 06:39
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

I think it's a solid album. 3.5 stars.

The DVD - Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe An Evening of Yes Music Plus, if you can find it, is superb. Something all Yes fans should own.

I have it right here. Smile

Ghost Whistler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ghost Whistler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:44
A wonderful album. In that DVD you can see Geoff Downes working on the record as well.

Funny, Union gets stick for being a studio mess where session musicians were used over the band. Yet ABWH isn't that different.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 07:55
It's a good album, slightly marred for me now by the outdated drum sounds. Probably 3.5 stars.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:17
Yes, a decent 3-3,5 star album. Saw them on tour in Rotterdam back then and that was a great performance they delivered there. With the absolutely fantastic Tony Levin on bass (not Jeff Berlin who is in the vid above), and I still remember very well the drum/bass duet between Bruford and Levin where at some point Bruford was drumming on the strings of Levins' bass... Great moment!
But I must say that I'm not that much fan either of the electronic drum sounds at times.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:21
I actually took this one out of mothballs recently.  Not my favorite but there is some good stuff on it. 
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 08:28
I'm okay with the electronic drums. Bill was first in line to use new technology and experiment. He used it on his first few Earthworks albums.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:24
Superb album, and it was hearing Bruford’s drum sound that convinced Anderson he should be part of the project.

It is a real shame that Union marked the end of this collaboration, because this album showed huge potential. As usual, the egos got in the way.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:30
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Superb album, and it was hearing Bruford’s drum sound that convinced Anderson he should be part of the project.

It is a real shame that Union marked the end of this collaboration, because this album showed huge potential. As usual, the egos got in the way.
I've yet to hear the Union album, but I really enjoyed seeing the eight-member Yes Union tour recently, so I hope the album lives up to the promise of the tour.  Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I've yet to hear the Union album, but I really enjoyed seeing the eight-member Yes Union tour recently, so I hope the album lives up to the promise of the tour.  Smile

spoiler alert!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it does not... LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:43

it does not... LOL
Awww. You burst my bubble now, when I was so much looking forward to hearing Rick Wakeman's self-proclaimed "Onion" album for the first time. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 09:47

it does not... LOL
Awww. You burst my bubble now, when I was so much looking forward to hearing Rick Wakeman's self-proclaimed "Onion" album for the first time. Wink

like you didn't know the album has a bad reputation. 
It's got a few good songs on it, I think you'll enjoy it more than I do. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 10:32
^ Well, the "Onion" album has a bad reputation with Rick Wakeman, that's for sure. Tongue

I'm easy to please, so I think you're probably right when you say I'll enjoy the album more than you do. Smile
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 13:27
Too many lightweight moments (the concert with Jeff Berlin was excellent though).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

Too many lightweight moments (the concert with Jeff Berlin was excellent though).
It's the lightweight moments I enjoy the most on the album, especially "Brother of Mine" Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>