Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Anderson Bruford Wakeman Howe (1989)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:38
Big fan of the album. I think if I were to rate it I'd give it a 4 out of 5 80's production and all. I agree it hasn't aged well as far as the drum sound but I still couldn't give it less than four stars. Brother of mine alone is one of the best Yes or Yes related things they have done.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 14:46
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Big fan of the album. I think if I were to rate it I'd give it a 4 out of 5 80's production and all. I agree it hasn't aged well as far as the drum sound but I still couldn't give it less than four stars. Brother of mine alone is one of the best Yes or Yes related things they have done.

I gave the ABWH album four stars too and Brother of Mine is also one of my favourite Yessongs, even though my real-life brother prefers Britney Spears to Yes. Smile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 22:34
For me, it's mostly Birthright that I love. Brother of mine is also wonderful... for the first half of the song. And Fist of Fire is enjoyable enough. Too bad to learn that the session musicians use started on this album, and not only Union... but I guess I can just listen to the versions on An Evening of Yes Music (though that means no Tony Levin... though then I could listen to Live at the NEC, but that means lesser sound quality).
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2020 at 23:24
I bought the cassette back in the late 80s but I didn’t like it back then. I remember having to shell out for it, too, and then being rather disappointed. I imagine I was probably expecting something like Asia or GTR. However, I really need to go back and listen to it again, as my tastes have changed quite a bit since those days. I came to appreciate the more organic nature of the early Yes sound after my little band covered a couple of their tunes back in the early 90s.   It’s funny. I don’t really recall the songs off of this album with great clarity, but I imagine that the album is probably a throwback to their earlier sound. Since so many people have posted great things about it here, I’ll have to give it another listen ... after probably 30 years.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 00:25
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

ABWH was not released as a Yes album because no Squire, no Yes. 

This album never did much for me and I've tried. Big smile

Correct!

Also, same Cool.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 02:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

For me, it's mostly Birthright that I love. Brother of mine is also wonderful... for the first half of the song. And Fist of Fire is enjoyable enough. Too bad to learn that the session musicians use started on this album, and not only Union... but I guess I can just listen to the versions on An Evening of Yes Music (though that means no Tony Levin... though then I could listen to Live at the NEC, but that means lesser sound quality).
Birthright - absolutely. Love side 1 for sure, but the 2nd side I can live without.
Union, on the other hand, I really like most of it, except Saving Your Love, which is hideous.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 03:12
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Birthright - absolutely. Love side 1 for sure, but the 2nd side I can live without.
Union, on the other hand, I really like most of it, except Saving Your Love, which is hideous.

You realise I just HAVE to listen to the song now. Wink

I couldn't find the "Saving Your Love" song on YouTube until I realised it's actually calling "Saving My Heart" Confused

That's the first time I've ever heard Yes perform a Reggae song. Smile

Ultimate Classic Rock ranked Union worst in its list of Yes albums, so that doesn't bode well for the album when I eventually get around to listening to it for the first time. Dead
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 03:28
^ Just goes to show how much attention I pay to that song - and I’m usually a stickler for details (except when posting via ipod).
Teakbois is equally hideous, though I guess they had fun with it whilst recording in Montserrat.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 03:49
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Ultimate Classic Rock ranked Union worst in its list of Yes albums, so that doesn't bode well for the album when I eventually get around to listening to it for the first time. Dead

you know UCR are just as subjective as anyone else, just listen to the album and figure things out for yourself. 

I can think of 4 Yes albums I find less interesting than Union, so there you go... 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 04:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

you know UCR are just as subjective as anyone else, just listen to the album and figure things out for yourself. 

I can think of 4 Yes albums I find less interesting than Union, so there you go... 

You're right. I'll try not to be unduly influenced by Ultimate Classic Rock's Yes album rankings, although I may be unduly influenced by what you said about the "Onion" album earlier in this thread. Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 05:04

It's not as bad as their attempt on Caribbean music on the awful "Teakbois".
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 05:18
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

It's not as bad as their attempt on Caribbean music on the awful "Teakbois".

Yes, "Teakbois" does sound like it could have been a Kid Creole & the Coconuts song, although I must admit, I did quite enjoy its happy Caribbean vibe. I think Yes were deliberately sending themselves up with that choice of song, because "Teakbois" contains the lyrics "Cool Running", which was also the name of the comedy movie about the Jamaican bobsleigh team. Smile
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 05:29
......Heaven and Earth is better than Union, and I like Union, I just ignore the fact that 197 people tampered with the recording / mix......
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 06:57
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

......Heaven and Earth is better than Union, and I like Union, I just ignore the fact that 197 people tampered with the recording / mix......

Heaven & Earth was a much better album than I was expecting when I heard it for the first time last week. I just hope the Union album turns out to better than expected too. Smile
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 08:34
I may as well chime in here...I don't love or hate ABWH album, I find it enjoyable. Some tunes, as mentioned (Teakbois) don't live up the level of song writing I'd hoped for. But then again I really like the Big Generator album, although I realize it's a completely different band then ABWH.

As for the 80's drum sound comments, I guess you need to put it in context. It was the sound being utilized by lots of bands. New technologies, new engineers/producers. It defined the era in many ways. But Bruford certainly took them to a level beyond the pop association. I saw them in concert in Toronto and his drum solo was absolutely sublime. He did for 'Electronic Drums' what Carl Palmer did for 'Synthesized Drums'.
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:35
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I'm hearing the ABWH album for the very first time today and it was an instant hit with me, despite lacking the distinctive sound of Chris Squire's thunderous bass lines. Smile

Really? Interesting. I got the album when it was new, and it was pretty exciting at the time. I still like it a lot. It's good "B+" album. The concert was outstanding! They opened with solos in lieu of group, and I got to experience Rick Wakeman's keyboard wizardry "live without a net" for the first time ever. 

The night I saw them, Tony Levin was ill. Jeff Berlin stood in!
Yes, it's surprising that it took me 31 years to finally get around to listening to the ABWH album for the first time and I've still yet to hear the Union and Keys to Ascension albums. Smile
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:37

I'm hearing the ABWH album for the very first time today and it was an instant hit with me, despite lacking the distinctive sound of Chris Squire's thunderous bass lines. Smile

Really? Interesting. I got the album when it was new, and it was pretty exciting at the time. I still like it a lot. It's good "B+" album. The concert was outstanding! They opened with solos in lieu of group, and I got to experience Rick Wakeman's keyboard wizardry "live without a net" for the first time ever. 

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:39

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yes, it's surprising that it took me 31 years to finally get around to listening to the ABWH album for the first time and I've still yet to hear the Union and Keys to Ascension albums. Smile

Wow! Not sure what you'll think of Union (some good songs, but it's inconsistent), while the KTA material is primo!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:42
^ In that case, I'll probably make Keys to Ascension my next featured Yes album. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2020 at 09:53
Saving my heart never bothered me. It's no heart of the sunrise but it's not a horrible song that makes me want to vomit either. Yes did different things. They stretched themselves and sometimes they went beyond the comfort zone of their fans. Good for them for putting their own musical explorations first. Smile Yes, they did prog and that was their bread and butter but like Genesis it wasn't all they did.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>