Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What's/are the scariest movie(s) that you watched?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's/are the scariest movie(s) that you watched?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:53
When I was about 8 or 9 years old I saw some "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde" movie on TV while my parents were at the opera. When Jekyll changed into Hyde inadvertently for the first time it scared the bejesus out of me.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:09
Hi,

Having been into "gothic literature" going back to its start with Horace Walpole and Ann Radcliffe ... and I did a "lecture" (on it) for my Literature class at the Junior College ... I was not exactly scared by films, because a lot of the images from the books were way stronger than any film could do, or EVER did. 

For an example, there are passages in Mathew Gregory Lewis THE MONK that are absolutely horrific, but trying to put that on stage, or film, is not likely to get you a lot of fans sitting in and paying for it. Also when you read things like Lord Polidori's work (he was a doctor ... remember that) ... his stories and work is laced with blood, guts and gore and then some! And of course, at this same time, a woman stood up to the men, and wrote a great story, that is still better than any film has EVER been able to do! Mary Shelley's FRANKENSTEIN ... kinda looked at all the elements around her .. poetic and otherwise ... in their Missolonghi nights for stories and drinking fun ... when even Lord Byron made fun of it by saying that writing in the bathtub was heavenly!

However, of all the films that EVER got me stunned enough (not scared!), there are a few experiences that are hard to ignore, although they do not belong in the "gothic" or "horror" area at all ... and here goes a small list.

DON'T LOOK NOW - 1973 - Film with Donald Sutherland and Julie Christie that has a very strange and upsetting end, that is harder to stomach when you factor in all the images that show a future and a past ... sometimes almost in the same image! A great film, but very tough otherwise.

I STAND ALONE - 1998 - Film by Gaspar Noe, and a film that was shown at the Film Festival here, and over half the audience had left before it was over ... why? ... a variety of things ... the film is almost all of it inside the man's mind, and it runs riot non-stop. But the one thing that is harder to deal with is a sort of Godard bit ... a gunshot separates the parts of it, and the timing is often not expected ... it's like it is random ... and it shocks you some at times, just when you get comfy with the idea/story of the film. And its visualization is brutal to say the least, but it creates a film that is really hard to determine if it is good, or just bad. The "innovations" in the ideas as the film is shown is downright original and impossible to ignore, but the conventionality that we seem to be attached to? Gets assaulted right off the bat! ... and yeah ... that is good ... we're so Hollywoody-sized that it is pathetic, and we do not even realize the lack of attention to details that would make the film better and closer to literature than it does something stupid like a shot/crossshot (worst literary significance, because the point of view changes!) and/or a kiss (the proverbial peeper ... on various sides of the two kissers!

Far worse for me are films that are way out there ... that create images in your mind that are simply way out of town ... and downright strong ... I remember watching AGUIRRE, THE WRATH OF GOD and that last 20 minutes is amazing and the filming is done beautifully, making sure that you see the arrows coming from all sides of the boat ... and the work that Klaus Kinsky puts in during those minutes are insane and amazing ... as a theater/film addict, seeing that is total magic ... as an image, it is downright horrific, and you know the end is around the corner ... but likely because of Klaus Kinsky's improvisation, it ended up being longer and scarier ... 

There are a couple of other films, but all in all, being a person that is into "perception" and specially aware of the surroundings (it's hard for folks to scare me!), makes for films a bit of a fake image ... and the only thing left is the idea ... of it all ... for example, seeing ROMAN POLANSKI'S TESS, and specially the rape scene ... is scary, because the handheld camera is the rapist! You don't always pay attention to the literary point of view in a lot of films and the cinematography, and how it affects you ... but something like this is downright scary and all I can think of is a lion finally getting his prey and start eating from it. An image that is not comforting for us at all ... but we know that it is "life", and it is something that we often dismiss!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:29
I'd have to say easily....The Exorcist did it for me, it still gives me chills and nightmares. I saw Jaws at the movies I was 10 or 11, I went to the bathroom like 5x.
Texas Chainsaw (original version) was simply disturbing, not sure I was scared but man.....I would say the last movie that probably scared me was Alien, the surprising nature of the Alien Xenomorph was intense.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

^If you watched Get Out you may change your mind about horror movies nowadays.

I have and I haven't.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 07:28
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Some others that freaked me out when I was a kid were Dracula Prince of Darkness and The True Story of Frankenstein (the one with James Mason and Michael Sarrazin in)

I loved that version of Frankenstein. Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:10
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

Some others that freaked me out when I was a kid were Dracula Prince of Darkness and The True Story of Frankenstein (the one with James Mason and Michael Sarrazin in)

I loved that version of Frankenstein. Scared the hell out of me when I was a kid. 

The bit that tipped me over the edge was the demise of 'Jane Seymour'; that kept me awake for many a night.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:28
^ That was a creepy one.   My favorite Frankenstein, after the original, is the one with DeNiro and Branagh.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:58

Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

The bit that tipped me over the edge was the demise of 'Jane Seymour'; that kept me awake for many a night.

Yea,that scene was particularly disturbing.  Frankenstein "Why!?"  -  The Creature " Beautiful , Victor, Beautiful"  

Edited by Argo2112 - August 14 2020 at 13:59
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:23
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

The only movie that's ever given me nightmares (mainly because I was really too young to watch it) was "Quatermass and the Pit".

fantastic choice. There is some top grade scary stuff in the film. I love the scene in the abandoned house where the policeman describes why no one lives there anymore. There is a classic 'jumpy' moment when the carcass of the dead alien creature seems to be alive for one moment when it moves. 

I would also mention The Quatermass Experiment made about ten years earlier that was a massive influence of films like Alien and now the recently released Russian film Sputnik which appears to have lifted the plot in it's entirety. The man behind the Quatermass films Nigel Kneale was such a great writer of the horror genre.

Edited by richardh - August 15 2020 at 05:31
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:28
One that never gets a mention is Mothman Prophecies . That really creeped me out big time. Some great actors Laura Linney and Will Patton. Richard Gere is well cast in the lead and for me this is probably his best film.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:31
Just thought of another. The first Friday the Thirteenth, notably the very final scene when she is being called over by the police and everything is calm and drifting in the water and, well you know what. On the way back from the cinema my friends and I were daring each to walk down a very dark enclosed alley on their own. I nearly s**t myself - and yeah I ran, expecting J to come out and grab me. A similar ending in the sequel too.

Edited by Gentle and Giant - August 15 2020 at 05:33
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:36
The Curse of Frankenstein ( the first Hammer film studio release in the 1950's ) was also very effective scary film. Over a period of time the Hammer films became somewhat salacious sadly (and have been lampooned to death it seems) but the very early ones were excellent scary films.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:41
The other one I have to mention is Jaws. That was so tense it was nearly unbearable. The severed head dropping out the bottom of the boat ... classic!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:43
Ok one more ..

An American Werewolf In London

easily John Landis' finest moment. The London Underground scene especially ... run!!
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 06:18
Annabelle gives me the creeps but im also very facinated by evil soruces and energies lik that if Pennywize and Cenobites, like there is a deeper lore beneeth the fabric. I am very intrgued by Clive Barkers surreal imaginaation
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 06:22
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ That was a creepy one.   My favorite Frankenstein, after the original, is the one with DeNiro and Branagh.

I am also in the fanflub of Branaghs Frankenstein interpretation, i feel he and Coppola had a deal when the both directed Frankenstein and Dracula almost silmutainiously, both eery and yet exprriement with different scopes of horror movie themes
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 06:36
Not being a fan of horror films, I haven't actually seen a film that really scared me since I was young, when I was often frightened by stuff I saw on TV, so I suppose that put me off watching scary films. However, a friend of mine told me about a film called the Babadook that was apparently very frightening. Not bothering to watch it, I read the plot on Wikipedia. Well, it didn't exactly give me nightmares... but it did make sure I was never, ever going to actually watch the film. LOL

Edited by FatherChristmas - August 15 2020 at 06:37
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 11:10
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Annabelle gives me the creeps but im also very facinated by evil soruces and energies lik that if Pennywize and Cenobites, like there is a deeper lore beneeth the fabric. I am very intrgued by Clive Barkers surreal imaginaation

I used to love Clive Barker books, and can strongly recommend The Books of Blood. Sadly his later books were poor but you can't go wrong with The Great and Secret Show, Imajica, The Damnation Game and Weaveworld.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 15:03
Another movie that gave me the 'Willies' as a kid (and even a little today as an adult), was Village of the Damned (1960).  Not the POS remake from the 90s.

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 15:21
Not a big fan of scary movies, so I don't have many, but these have left the greatest impressions on me: 
The Talented Mr. Ripley
Jaws
Irreversible
The Exorcist
A Clockwork Orange
Midnight Express
The Blair Witch PRoject
Manhunter
Silence of the Lambs
Alien
No Country for Old Men
Primal Fear