Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog musicians juggling music career and work?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 12:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Recording an album no longer costs much. A laptop, interface, headphones and instruments. Anyone can make an album. Problem after that is how are you going to interest people to listen. It used to be the job of the record company or manager to push your music to get played on the radio to get exposure. They would pay radio stations to play a song so many times a day. Now the artist has to wear all hats and many of them don't have the patience, time and money to do that. There are too many musicians trying to juggle work and music. I can't think of many that are successful enough to quit their day job. And sales from albums are nothing unless you sell millions. Most weekend prog musicians are lucky to sell 100 copies of an album. Streaming revenue pays even less. The artist gets approximately 1/1000 of a cent for one play. Very dismal. By touring and merch sales maybe the artist can break even, but if your job pays more, and covers health insurance, it seems like you would take that over poverty for your passion.

It still costs a lot according to my friend who plays in a rock band. 
Also, 1/1000 of a cent is wildly wrong, with the real number ~500 times higher, as can be googled in 10 secs.

Edited by Homotopy - August 13 2020 at 12:06
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 10:25
Most prog musicians have day jobs. That's true. Some actually have jobs in music though and make a full time living out of music but just not usually full time out of prog. For example, I know that is the case for two members of echolyn, the keyboard player also teaches music full time and another member is an engineer, producer, and also a teacher.

Even musicians who probably could make a living out of just prog choose to do other things. One example would be Steven Wilson. There's no doubt in my mind that he could do nothing but just have a solo career and or PT and be successful with just that. However, he's also an engineer, producer, and remixer. About a year ago he got married. He stated in the past that he didn't want kids but who knows what the future will bring for him. People change their minds. 

There's also Neal Morse. I'm pretty sure he makes a living out of just music also but he does christian music as well as prog.

Another example is Mike Portnoy. Mike has been in a plethora of bands so it's no real surprise he is able to do it. He seems to be always very busy like the other above examples.

Anyway, I'm not sure about others but I would say that about 99 percent of prog musicians do not make a living in music.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 13 2020 at 13:20
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 09:59
Music might be your passion, but to make a living, for a lot of artists (specially in the prog scene) it's treated as a hobby. You need a job to pay the bills, and music is just a side endeavor that fulfills your emotional needs, but nothing more than that. Quite unfortunate for most, and a very sad reality.   
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 09:32
Recording an album no longer costs much. A laptop, interface, headphones and instruments. Anyone can make an album. Problem after that is how are you going to interest people to listen. It used to be the job of the record company or manager to push your music to get played on the radio to get exposure. They would pay radio stations to play a song so many times a day. Now the artist has to wear all hats and many of them don't have the patience, time and money to do that. There are too many musicians trying to juggle work and music. I can't think of many that are successful enough to quit their day job. And sales from albums are nothing unless you sell millions. Most weekend prog musicians are lucky to sell 100 copies of an album. Streaming revenue pays even less. The artist gets approximately 1/1000 of a cent for one play. Very dismal. By touring and merch sales maybe the artist can break even, but if your job pays more, and covers health insurance, it seems like you would take that over poverty for your passion.
GolfBoi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolfBoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 08:12
It's no secret that for most artists engaged in it, progressive music isn't a source of great wealth and fame. How do underground legends and aspiring musicians manage to get by when the sole process of recording an album demands great costs?

The major prog acts of old have no doubt succeeded to guarantee themselves an extravagant lifestyle through the sales of legendary albums, but how do those who operated in niche regional scenes (e.g. Rock Progressivo Italiano) fare? I would imagine music production and songwriting for more mainstream acts to be two common career paths?

Curious to hear the input of those well-versed in prog lore from reading numerous biographies and interviews as well as users who produce music in this style themselves. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678