Poll Question: Who is your favourite ?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
34 [60.71%]
22 [39.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Two bands I have a hard time liking.
    Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:25
Probably done before.But not sure.
But two bands that to me are rather ,ehh ,...I do not really appreciate ,but find somewhat similar.quirky.
Though I love Quiet Zone Pleasure Dome.
But that's about it.Van is my choice.  

Edited by gr8dane - August 13 2020 at 17:40
Shake & bake.
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:28
I do enjoy some Van der Graaf Generator songs, and I recognize that they have several excellent albums, but most of their stuff just isn't my thing.

I have a bit of the same problem with Gentle Giant, but to a much lesser extent.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:31
Both are great and among the best prog bands ever but went with VDGG.
gr8dane View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gr8dane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:38
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Probably done before.But not sure.
But two bands that to me are rather ,ehh ,...I do not really appreciate ,but find somewhat similar.
But that's about it.Van is my choice.  

Shake & bake.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 17:42
Originally posted by gr8dane gr8dane wrote:

Good pick, their most underrated masterpiece. Got to say I love most of them though.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:52
I kind of feel the same way about both bands.  I think it might have something to do with them having zero radio play in the US.  I have no history with them.  I bought most of their albums long after I was into the main 6 or 7 prog bands and can't say that I have any nostalgia with them.  With VDGG I'm not really a fan of the cat's tail in the grinder saxophone playing nor Peter Hammill's voice...which is weird because he is an influence on Rob Halford, who is one of my all-time favorites and Matthew Parmenter from Discipline reminds me of him, and I am a big fan of him and Discipline.  I guess that I like them well enough...but they are just kind of another band to me, nothing special like they are with so many PAers.

With Gentle Giant, they are a good band.  Nothing really objectionable with them.  I enjoy listening to their albums, but again I just don't really have a history with them so they are again, just another band, nothing special.  Their vocal harmonies are top notch though and Knots is a pretty awesome song...so I guess I've typed myself into voting for Gentle Giant. 
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:54
Like them both so it's a bit of a disservice to VDGG to be voting for GG.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 20:57
VdGG
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 21:43
well one band I really dislike and find pretentious  and the other one has a great rhythm section and can really groove---in a quirky way.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 21:54
From the eighties, when I started to listen prog, I have tried to like GG, but I just canīt. I have tried their albums many times without result. VdGG was also in the eighties band that really didnīt fully open me. Now I really love Pawn Hearts & Godbluff and they havenīt made a bad album. But still they arenīt in my top10 greatest progbands list. So my vote is VdGG.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:05
I don't have a strong liking for either one, neither really does anything for me. But I chose VdGG as I have a slight liking for more of their albums than GG.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:34
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

well one band I really dislike and find pretentious  and the other one has a great rhythm section and can really groove---in a quirky way.

I can't really see anyone calling VDGG pretentious(except for maybe their lyrics)so I'm going to guess that GG is who you are referring to and that you voted for VDGG(the quirky one). 
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2020 at 22:58
VDGG but love both .
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 02:45
I know EXACTLY how you feel.
For all the 70s and 80s, I hated GG. I just could not understand what they were trying to do. Then someone made me listen properly to Free Hand, and suddenly, I understood. I don't like everything they have done, but some of it (Knots, Proclamation, Free Hand amongst many others) is amongst the best prog ever and I listen to them a lot.
VDGG I just cannot cope with at all. They have a fine keyboards player, but Peter Hamill's voice drives me away immediately and their compositions just don't appeal.
And I feel exactly the same about King Crimson. They may be extremely talented musicians, but I cannot stand most of their music and I find Fripp's guitar style to be cold, unemotional and about as pleasant as finger nails scraping down a blackboard.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 02:52
These are two top tier prog bands, and I love how they divide this board so much. This means they're doing something right in regards to progressive rock IMHO!

#2Prog4U 

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:16
I chose Gentle Giant before I even looked at the poll choices. Smile
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 03:20
VDGG. I like the derangement and darkness in their music.

Never really took to Gentle Giant. Octopus was a good album, but overall there were just a few tracks here and there I liked. A lot of the time I found them quite irritating.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 04:15
I can't vote because I like them both pretty equally.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:46
VDGG just over GG.
It was mentioned before, both great bands, but neither spend a lot of time on my turntable.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

I can't vote because I like them both pretty equally.

Same here, love them both.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>