Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in the 1980's: The Year 1983

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.26%]
1 [1.28%]
1 [1.28%]
1 [1.28%]
8 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.56%]
3 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
7 [8.97%]
1 [1.28%]
19 [24.36%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
6 [7.69%]
1 [1.28%]
2 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
2 [2.56%]
1 [1.28%]
12 [15.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DarkTower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:04
Marillion
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:32
Possibly my faves from 1983 are two albums not in the poll - Pablo El Enterrador and Amenophis, both their debuts, s/t
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:44
Had to give this one some thought...went with Frontiers from Journey.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 13:58
update below

Edited by Jaketejas - August 14 2020 at 14:27
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 14:27
Some good choices here. There sure don't make 'em like they used to! I'm trying to dig back into my memory. Asia had a top-10 hit with Don't Cry. Journey had another great full-length album (and some funny choreography with Separate Ways on MTV). Sky was about to say goodbye to John Williams (whaaaa! ). Marillion was ramping up and heading towards their most selling album.   (Sorry, though ... I have not been able to get into that particular Pink Floyd album ... I tried ...). Styx tried to do something extremely outlandishly progressive by going out onto arenas with some kind of theatrical robot musical, which eventually caused lots of booing and the band to implode. Saga was at full steam, but about to head into declining popularity ... as was ELO. Holdsworth was going full bore with his OUTSTANDING collaboration with Paul Williams (strange ... my two favorite albums are just before and just after Road Games). And, while Steve Howe was doing some Indiana Jones videos with Asia (isn't he the one who was pushed off the mountain?), Yes received a new fuel-injection system with Trevor Rabin, launching them back onto every radio station. And, that my friends, is my re-cap of 1983.   
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 14:29
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

Possibly my faves from 1983 are two albums not in the poll - Pablo El Enterrador and Amenophis, both their debuts, s/t

Amenophis is one of the albums I had to drop from the poll, simply because I didn't have room for it, having used up all 25 available poll slots.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 14:37
IQ followed by Floyd and Yes.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:03
Marillion, followed by Bacamarte, IQ, Genesis, and ELO.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:05
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Amenophis is one of the albums I had to drop from the poll, simply because I didn't have room for it, having used up all 25 available poll slots.

but you had a slot for Bad Religion LOL
or Styx 
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:52
It's not even close. Script For a Jester's Tear. One of the strongest prog albums of the 80s, probably third behind Misplaced Childhood and Moving Pictures imo.

As for everyone asking about Bad Religion: it may be an odd inclusion, but their 1983 album was in fact, if not fully prog, a prog-influenced album, with lots of organ and piano and even a 7-minute, four-part suite.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:52
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

You prefer Fugazi to Script!?

I do! Clap
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 15:55
Other: Eddie Jobson – Zinc/The Green Album.
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 16:03
Hm, none of these particularly jump out at me. I voted for Crises because of its nostalgic value to me (even though nowadays I think it's a bit flawed)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 16:39
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

or Styx 
I know nothing about Bad Religion or Amenophis but I do know about Styx. Smile

Maybe you'd like to do a 1980's prog poll with all of the albums I had to leave out. Wink
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 16:55
Steve Hackett gets my vote. Two albums in one year, including his first full classical guitar offering. 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 17:05

or Styx 

Maybe you'd like to do a 1980's prog poll with all of the albums I had to leave out. Wink

why are you making polls with artists and albums you know nothing about I will never understand. 

Bad Religion is more or less a punk rock band. 

Styx's Kilroy is one of the worst albums of 1983, it killed the band's existence for quite a while. 

At least Amenophis was an attempt at symphonic prog.

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 20:23
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

IQ or Marillion???????

IQ gets it - Script is the weakest of the Fish albums.

I also love The Principle of Moments.

Strange, to me it's the strongest of the Fish albums. I'd have it in my top five Marillion albums.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2020 at 23:58

or Styx 

why are you making polls with artists and albums you know nothing about I will never understand. 
There's no rule that stipulates a pollster has to have listened to every album in their poll, and in the case of Bad Religion, it was clearly a mistake to include them. Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 02:44

or Styx 

There's no rule that stipulates a pollster has to have listened to every album in their poll, and in the case of Bad Religion, it was clearly a mistake to include them. Wink

I never said or implied you've broken any rule creating this poll. Confused
Just that I don't understand, or even better said, makes no sense to me why anyone would create a poll with albums & artists they know nothing about. I would never do such a thing, I don't see the point. Confused
That's all. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 03:07
^ If it makes you feel any happier, I've replaced Bad Religion in the poll with Amenophis' debut album, even though it's a little too late now to pick up any votes. Smile

And on the subject of featuring albums in my polls that I know nothing about, there are still literally hundreds and thousands of great albums out there in the progosphere that I haven't got around to listening to yet. The only albums I've actually listened to in this particular poll are by these artists:- ELO; Genesis; Steve Hackett; Mike Oldfield; Pink Floyd; Robert Plant; Tangerine Dream; and Yes.

I've never heard Marillion's Script for a Jester's Tear before, but it would be rather selfish of me to leave the album out of the poll simply because I've never listened to it, especially considering it's currently leading the poll. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 15 2020 at 03:13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>