Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in the 1980's: The Year 1983

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Poll Question: Which is your favourite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [10.26%]
1 [1.28%]
1 [1.28%]
1 [1.28%]
8 [10.26%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.56%]
3 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
7 [8.97%]
1 [1.28%]
19 [24.36%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
6 [7.69%]
1 [1.28%]
2 [2.56%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.28%]
2 [2.56%]
1 [1.28%]
12 [15.38%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 04:31
Voted for Marillion over Genesis, Floyd and I.Q..However it also reminded me that I bought that awful Sryx album, which has depressed me.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 04:40
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

Voted for Marillion over Genesis, Floyd and I.Q..However it also reminded me that I bought that awful Styx album, which has depressed me.

Thanks. In that case, I'll take your advice and avoid that particular Styx album and Kilroy can stay there on the CD rack at my local record store. Smile

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:06
IQ - Tales From The Lush Attic
nothing else close
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:09
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Holdsworth. Thanks for including him. I wish the forums would talk about Allan, after all he was the most innovative and original guitar player ever.

I agree. Allan was the best. He should still be alive. I would love that.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

why are you making polls with artists and albums you know nothing about I will never understand.
There's no rule that stipulates a pollster has to have listened to every album in their poll, and in the case of Bad Religion, it was clearly a mistake to include them. Wink
I never said or implied you've broken any rule creating this poll. Confused
Just that I don't understand, or even better said, makes no sense to me why anyone would create a poll with albums & artists they know nothing about. I would never do such a thing, I don't see the point. Confused
That's all.

On the issue of creating a poll containing entries I'm unfamiliar with, that would depend on the basis of the poll. For example, if I were to create a poll about PA's top 25 albums, then I would see no requirement to be familiar with all 25 albums. That is because PA's top 25 albums are well-defined and independent of me. Thus, it would not matter to the voters of the poll whether or not I am familiar with all or even any of the albums. By contrast, I probably wouldn't even create a poll containing 25 personally selected entries that are not otherwise connected.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:25
Marillion - again. :)
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 05:34
On the issue of voting in a poll containing entries I'm unfamiliar with, that would depend on the poll itself. For one thing, the more entries a poll has, the less likely one is of being familiar with them all, so one should not see a lack of familiarity with some of the entries as an obstacle to participating. But generally speaking, my decision whether or not to vote in a given poll is quite ad hoc.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

IQ or Marillion???????

IQ gets it - Script is the weakest of the Fish albums.

I also love The Principle of Moments.

You prefer Fugazi to Script!?

Without doubt. I think Seasons End is their strongest album, but Fugazi is a VERY close 2nd.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 07:02
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Holdsworth. Thanks for including him. I wish the forums would talk about Allan, after all he was the most innovative and original guitar player ever.

Irrelevant if the music you make is pretty unappealing.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 07:04
Stern Smile Bundles? Unappealing? 
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 07:07
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

Marillion - again. :)

Marillion could be considered the consolation prize for you when there are no Gentle Giant albums to vote for  after 1980. Wink
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 07:08
Originally posted by dougmcauliffe dougmcauliffe wrote:

Stern Smile Bundles? Unappealing? 

I find Holdsworth's style completely unappealing aesthetically, though I'll happily agree that he is technically and creatively a genius.
But so was Beethoven and I don't enjoy much of what he wrote either.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 08:16

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 09:50
You are welcome. It is a terrible album and effectively ended their career. Although the standard of the albums had been declining since pieces of eight nothing suggested that they would deposit that huge turd on the paying public.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by Earl of Mar Earl of Mar wrote:

You are welcome. It is a terrible album and effectively ended their career. Although the standard of the albums had been declining since pieces of eight nothing suggested that they would deposit that huge turd on the paying public.

I bought this Styx compilation instead. Smile

BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 11:54
Voted Genesis though my favorite prog album of the year was ESKATON's Fiction.

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 12:14
^ I've now replaced Styx' "dreadful" album with Eskaton's album, and that's a fact - not fiction. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 15 2020 at 12:15
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 16:59
I wouldn't vote for it myself, but given how Renaissance is your favourite prog band I'm surprised to see you omitted their Time-Line album from this poll (though maybe I shouldn't be surprised considering that album's reputation Confused)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 19:58
Three of a perfect chair? :P
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2020 at 20:56
Eskaton
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>