Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Costume prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Costume prog?
    Posted: August 18 2020 at 05:19
Do you know any other prog singer or musician than Peter Gabriel that wears costumes and changes them between songs?
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 05:31
Sleepytime Gorilla Museum play dress up. Chrome Hoof and Secret Chiefs 3 do the whole cowled monks robe look but don't change them through the set.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 05:40
Psych/pagan/prog swedish band Goat

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 06:02
Manuel Cardoso from Tantra, although it seemed more like an emulation Peter Gabriel's style.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 06:19
Hi,

I have to look back and read more on this ... but it is thought and understood that PG copied OSANNA in a tour in Italy, I think ... and I believe that ANGE also used costumes, probably in the earlier material.

I would caution the question though, as Europe has had a very long and large history of musical dramas, including Kurt Weill and Bertold Brecht, all of which were completely costumed for performance, and some were outlawed in their countries and went to a different place. The "fantasy", or "story book" stuff that GENESIS created, is all but a continuation of the line of this material that could even go as far back as the GRIMM Brothers, whose stories were stolen by Walt Disney left and right to the point where most think that the WD version is the original, and IT ISN'T.

In England, FISH used costumes in some shows with Marillion, and I think this is one of the things that did not stay with Marillion at all, and instead ended up relying on the singing of the new person ... however, many folks prefer the older version, although the tendency is to state that it was a PG copy, and it WAS NOT since PG is not an actor ... FISH was an actor that sang ... 

One other one, and odd one for many folks, THE INCREDIBLE STRING BAND, in the early days, were all about the costumes and the show ... and seeing one of their films, it looks like a left over hippie thing, but I'm not sure that it was just that ... Robin Williamson has stated many times, that their experiments into POETRY, THEATER and other performance attributes were just a nice mix between himself and Mike Heron ... and the presentation was different, though you could tell that the amount of money their presentation had was probably 5 nickels and 1 dime ... and a cup of coffee! Specially compared to bands that had a few more bob to spend, like GENESIS, though they mostly spent their money getting more instruments and better gear from the early days!

In America, this whole thing never really took off as it became a sort of lash-back to the hippie days, and the media onslaught saying how bad it was with all the sex, drugs and rock music! And some still say that the death of a couple of the musicians, was the reason why it all died ... their theatricality was no longer viable and the media made sure to punish it! Conversely Europe has a much more extensive history of the arts in performance ... up to and including things like opera ... things that have a history of over 300 to 400 years, and the suggestion is that these things were around before as well!

And this leads to something else ... there is no way that the "public" that saw the shows at THE GLOBE did not hear or see music, since most of them other than a handful of nobles, were street people standing up around/outside the stage area ... which means it had to have some music to counter some of the stuff and make sure the folks watching were not having fun ... after the witches, do you really think those folks could just stand there and listen to the endless spiels? I doubt it ... even today!

Edited by moshkito - August 18 2020 at 06:24
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 06:31
The Residents

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 06:59
The Residents and Goat are good choices, but they don't change costumes to suit the songs, like Gabriel did...
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 10:00
Other than Peter Gabriel? No. The Chicago prog band Von Frickle wore masks with white clothes. Apparently they are no longer together though.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 18 2020 at 10:06
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 12:24
Me. Once my music partner and I get our band going and have a significant fanbase and resources, we will team with my friend who can write lyrics incredibly quickly and well. He has created an idea for a musical universe, with stories that reference each other. This group will be dubbed The Lighthouse, and we will blur the lines between concerts and musical theater. That's the dream anyway...
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 12:25
Also Matthew Parmenter of Discipline would dress up a bit and where make-up similar to the level that Fish did.
softandwet View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote softandwet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 17:23
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

Me. Once my music partner and I get our band going and have a significant fanbase and resources, we will team with my friend who can write lyrics incredibly quickly and well. He has created an idea for a musical universe, with stories that reference each other. This group will be dubbed The Lighthouse, and we will blur the lines between concerts and musical theater. That's the dream anyway...

Holy crap, keep me informed!
So don’t evade the surgeon’s blade
Cos the answer could be in your mind
Maybe one cut and we’ll find
We’re just a wavelength behind

But we are entwined

And I know what you need
Mudpuppy64 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mudpuppy64 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 18:24
IQ
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 19:32
Unfortunately it's not as well known as it should be but Peter Gabriel and Genesis borrowed HEAVILY from the Italian band Osanna who started the whole costume / face paint prog thing first.

Due to England's domination in prog fame, facts like this tend to get overlooked but if you research the timeline of who did what first, there's no denying that OSANNA was in the forefront of costume prog.

If you want to get into proto-prog scenarios then The Crazy World of Arthur Brown could be considered the cutting edge of both prog and metal shenanigans that followed.

Edited by siLLy puPPy - August 18 2020 at 19:32

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 19:33

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 19:48
Another underappreciated band was the proto-punk, proto-metal, pseucho-prog band ZOLAR X who haunted the L.A. club scene in the 70s. They failed to score a record label during their popular run as an L.A. strip entertainment behemoth but they had a few proggy songs such as this one. They very well could be considered prog related but i've never suggested them.

Unfortunately very little live footage survives of their alien impersonating stage antics but nevertheless they were pretty out there for the 70s.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 19:50
From 1974

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2020 at 22:37
The only performing musician I know of who changes costumes that frequently is Lady Gaga!!  She's a killer piano player and excellent vocalist, I bet she'd do "Lamb" proud in concert!  

Edited by cstack3 - August 18 2020 at 22:49
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 00:18

DO IT.

If you need a live bass player that's incredibly athletic and can also move and play at the same time; hit me up! Wink

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 01:24
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

DO IT.

If you need a live bass player that's incredibly athletic and can also move and play at the same time; hit me up! Wink

Well, I hope you live in Los Angeles! Otherwise it could be difficult.

Edited by Awesoreno - August 19 2020 at 01:24
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 07:05
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Unfortunately it's not as well known as it should be but Peter Gabriel and Genesis borrowed HEAVILY from the Italian band Osanna who started the whole costume / face paint prog thing first.

Due to England's domination in prog fame, facts like this tend to get overlooked but if you research the timeline of who did what first, there's no denying that OSANNA was in the forefront of costume prog.

If you want to get into proto-prog scenarios then The Crazy World of Arthur Brown could be considered the cutting edge of both prog and metal shenanigans that followed.
Hi,

Thanks ... I would, however, make sure folks knew that there was a lot of this kind of music/theater in Europe, before "rock music" even came in the scene. It's been (likely) one of the richest parts of theater history in Europe, since most of the 20th century is almost only marked by big name tenors, sopranos or conductors, and a couple of composers otherwise.

And then you see something like MARAT/SADE which has a large amount of music in it, and you wonder ... where is the band? Which, of course, would be the patients in the room! (Gawd ... I so want to direct a rock version of this stuff!) ... and it was a theatrical presentation just begging for more live music! Not that it needed it at all ... since it stands out as a period piece beautifully ... but it allows it to be modernized really well! AND, it was noticed! The same director had done MIDSUMMER NIGHT'S DREAM in what amounted to a kid's school yard play ground! How's that for taking something serious and making it sound like a child's play? A child's play it is, too!

But you don't do BAAL, without the costumes and the staging! Something that most folks that like DB will never really have seen, or can relate to! But it was a part of the acting and staging side of things that DB felt important to his expression!

Edited by moshkito - August 19 2020 at 07:07
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>