Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Costume prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2020 at 09:44
^ oh for sure. Prog basically borrowed from classical, jazz, rock or whatever. Operas were all about getting dressed up but this thread was about prog itself so as far as i know Osanna wins unless you count Arthur Brown.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 02:42
San Francisco-based band The Tubes weren't Prog Rock, but certainly were a part of the mid-70's underground Art Rock scene.

BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 04:53
I'd like to mention Robert Anton Wilson's play "Wilhelm Reich in Hell" which has a lot of music in it. here a link to a production of the play:

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 07:41
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I'd like to mention Robert Anton Wilson's play "Wilhelm Reich in Hell" which has a lot of music in it. here a link to a production of the play:

Hi,

I wish that America had a history of theater and productions ... that went way beyond the fluff in "musicals" that continually get redone in NY ... !!! The media in this country has killed meaningful theater ... and arts!

How quickly we forget that the same corporate folks that own the studios and the media ... will always make sure they support themselves first ... they are killing the arts!

THE TUBES, btw, were great ... were it not for the fact that in 9 out of 10 bars in the West Coast, their thing would not go well ... do that in a couple of small towns, and they will get run out of town, more than likely ... but do that in SF, or LA ... and they were fine. Loved their 1st album, but it declined from there ... the record company told them to slow down their stage show and concentrate on the music! The music is fine, but with the stage show, it is even better!

What do you want from Life ... white punks on dope ... lovely album!

Edited by moshkito - August 24 2020 at 07:46
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:56
San Francisco-based band The Tubes weren't Prog Rock, but certainly were a part of the mid-70's underground Art Rock scene.

No, the Tubes typically would not be considered prog rock although I personally think they have a few songs that might qualify as prog. Over all more like art rock like you say. However, if Roxy Music are on this site(and they are)the Tubes should at least be on here for prog related. I tried to get them on but no dice. Oh well.

Anyway, I've seen them live twice and customes were always a big part of their show. I think initially it was more than just the lead singer Fee Waybill but later on it was just him donning the costumes. He had some outrageous ones but was still no match for those worn by Peter Gabriel in the earlier days of Genesis. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - August 24 2020 at 08:58
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 15:43
Not really Prog per se, but quirky and interesting - Devo.
And perhaps the early chapter of Split Enz.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12