Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ranking Every Single Camel Song

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ranking Every Single Camel Song
    Posted: August 23 2020 at 19:20
Day 1: 113-108 (The text is copied from the r/camelband subreddit where I am originally making these posts. I will be updating here on this post every day on top of creating a new post on that subreddit daily. Feel free to throw in your own two cents on my rankings!)

I've decided to go through the grueling undertaking of ranking every single Camel song from worst to best, i'll be posting 6 a day starting with my least favorites. Now lets immediately make it clear, this is not an objective ranking. This is how I personally would rank every song and thus, there are going to be placements you probably don't agree with and that's alright. Also, it's important to note that there is a margin for error here. As in, if I sat down right now and listened to all of these songs in a row the ranking would probably end up pretty different. I'm going to make it clear now and say that I like pretty much all of these songs, so if you see one you like near the middle or even on the somewhat lower end, I probably like it as well and that'll be made clear because i'm going to do a short write-up for every song, they will probably get longer over the course of the list as I start to have more and more to say about the songs I like. I also left a couple tracks exempt mostly due to short length and for some of the concept "suite" tracks I just combined them, here's a list of those tracks:

Exempt Tracks:

Survival (I Can See Your House)

Lullabye (The Single Factor)

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Combined Tracks:

The Great Marsh/Rhayader/Rhayader Goes to Town (Snow Goose)

Sanctuary/Fritha/The Snow Goose (Snow Goose)

Friendship/Migration/Rhayader Alone (Snow Goose)

Flight of the Snow Goose/Preparation (Snow Goose)

Dunkirk/Epitaph (Snow Goose)

Fritha Alone/La Princesse Perdue (Snow Goose)

Hearts Desire/End Peace (The Single Factor)

Irish Air/Irish Air (Reprise)/Harbour of Tears (Harbour of Tears)

Cobh/Send Home the Slates (Harbour of Tears)

Under The Moon/Watching the Bobbins (Harbour of Tears)

Generations/Eyes of Ireland (Harbour of Tears)

Rose of Sharon/Milk and Honey (Dust and Dreams)

Mother Road/Needles (Dust and Dreams)

Dust Bowl/Go West/Dusted Out (Dust and Dreams)

Storm Clouds/Cotton Camp/Broken Banks (Dust and Dreams)

Sheet Rain/Whispers/Little Rivers and Little Rose (Dust and Dreams)

Hopeless Anger/Whispers in the Rain (Dust and Dreams)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Let us begin!

113: Remote Romance (I Can See Your House From Here)

This is.... Camel? Painfully cheesy and just an extremely wimpy attempt at a hit song. Somehow Kit Watkins still stands out with his unique and distinct tones. That's really the only nice thing I can say though, I really can't stand this song and the fact its wedged between Hymn to Her and Ice surely doesn't help.

112: Your Love is Stranger than Mine (I Can See Your House From Here)

I can somewhat echo the same sentiments I said about Remote Romance for this song, albeit this one is a bit more listenable to me. Just painfully cheesy, wimpy and Mel Collins cant even save it.

111; The Homecoming (Nude)

I really enjoy Nude, but at the end of the day this is just marching band music and while it works perfectly fine in the context of the album, nobody is going to listen to this track on its own.

110: Rainbows End (Breathless)

A bit of an underwhelming conclusion to an album I dearly love. I believe it's about Peter Bardens departure from the band, while the subject matter can make me gain an appreciation for it, there's just something off about it that for me makes it stick out like a sore thumb on the album. Perhaps because it's so melancholy on an otherwise very pleasent and upbeat sounding album. I'm also not sure about that falsetto in the chorus.

109: Rain Dances (Rain Dances)

Sort of similar to Rainbows End for me. We got this weird instrumental and somewhat orchestral reprise of First Light. While I don't have anything particularly negative to say about it, it's really just a shrug to me.

108: Hearts Desire/End Peace (The Single Factor)

A decent and kinda atmospheric instrumental to close out the album. But really, I find it just bland and forgettable. It's pleasent when i'm listening to it, but I just listened to it 3 times tonight and I couldn't tell you how it goes.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That's all For Today (Nods and Winks), I don't like writing negatively about Camel, but these tracks are the bottom of the barrel for me. I'll be back tomorrow with 6 more songs ranked! Also, join the discord if you haven't!

Edited by dougmcauliffe - August 23 2020 at 19:22
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 23 2020 at 20:27
Very ambitious Doug!
I am split on your least favourites.  For instance I strongly dislike Remote Romance but actually enjoy "Your Love is Stranger than Mine".  I also liked the "Immunity" album by Rupert Hine, who produced ICSYHFH and "your Love" is basically a Rupert Hine song  :)  I honestly don't remember "The Homecoming" and haven't listened to "Nude" in years but my recollection is that there are several great tracks at the beginning and then one near the end ("Lies") and the rest...meh.  But I do like "Rainbow's End", falsetto and all, and I don't mind "Rain Dances", even if it's a tad synthetic sounding.

so if I was naming least favourites "remote romance" would probably win.  Others - hmm maybe "Freefall".  Not a fan.  And there are a few from the first album that do little for me.  "Metronome" is another I don't like at all.  I don't recall disliking much from the last few albums but also am not crazy about much from them either.  

I'm not sure about your Snow Goose combinations because to me the title cut and Princesse Perdu should be on their own it's so amazing, and Rhayader/goes to town as well because I love Rhayader but am less crazy about Goes to Town.

Looking forward to your next post

Edited by kenethlevine - August 23 2020 at 20:35
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 00:38
I agree with Keneth Levine: I strongly dislike Remote Romance, but Your Love is Stronger Than Mine is very uplifting and it's my favourite song from the I Can See Your House From Here album.

These were voted the collective favourite Camel songs in one of my recent Top 5 polls:--

1. Lunar Sea (46 points)
2. Lady Fantasy (27 points)
3. Ice (22 points)
4. Never Let Go (20 points)
5. Song Within a Song (16 points)

Bubbling under:-

6. Echoes (14 points)
7. La Princess Perdue (10 points)
7. Chord Change (10 points)
7. Earthrise (10 points)
10. White Rider/Nimrodel (8 points)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 24 2020 at 00:43
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 01:26

I really enjoy Nude, but at the end of the day this is just marching band music and while it works perfectly fine in the context of the album, nobody is going to listen to this track on its own.

To some extent this illustrates the futility of the task; this is surely not meant to be listened to, appreciated, and ranked on its own. Also various other closing pieces you list have a function on the album and ranking them as if they were meant to stand on their own is something of an injustice.

That said, don't read this as too critical of what you're doing... ranking is always a game and doesn't correspond to anything "real", it's meant to be fun, and I actually appreciate that you play this game with Camel and the devotion to them that you show in this way; it's nice to read and I'll probably follow it further.

Edited by Lewian - August 24 2020 at 01:27
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:19
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

To some extent this illustrates the futility of the task; this is surely not meant to be listened to, appreciated, and ranked on its own. Also various other closing pieces you list have a function on the album and ranking them as if they were meant to stand on their own is something of an injustice.

That said, don't read this as too critical of what you're doing... ranking is always a game and doesn't correspond to anything "real", it's meant to be fun, and I actually appreciate that you play this game with Camel and the devotion to them that you show in this way; it's nice to read and I'll probably follow it further.

Thanks for the feedback! I had a lot of trouble ranking The Snow Goose, Harbour of Tears and Nude because I think anyone can agree the whole is the sum of its parts, you really just have to listen to those albums front to back to fully appreciate the songs but in the end i'm happy with where they're coming in with the list. I probably have about 2 more days of songs I don't really care for, there's gonna be some surprises but i'm just excited to get a chance to really write about every Camel song once this really gets going Smile
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:39
I'll put in a good word for Rainbow's End and Rain Dances too. Also Your Love Is Stranger Than Mine, whilst a bit poppy, isn't a bad song.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 08:46
Ranking Every Camel Song Day 2: 107-102

Welcome to the second day of ranking every Camel song! We're still in the section of the list where i'm not incredibly keen on the songs, but soon we'll be getting into the more personally favorable stuff! Lets go:

107: End of the Line (Dust and Dreams)

I haven't heard too many other Camel fans opinion on this track, but it's somewhat of a live staple for the band in recent years. I've just never liked it, not even the live version of the album off "Never Let Go" which i'll talk about more in the future (Long story short: I think it blows the studio version out of the water). There's a lot of guitar playing, but very little of it is actually memorable and in turn the song just kind of drags on for me. I know it's somewhat of a centerpiece of the album, but its generally a skip for me.

106: Neon Magic (I Can See Your House From Here)

This one is kinda a bouncy pop rock tune. It's got a decent instrumental in the middle but I think the vocal performance is pretty weak and honestly like some other tracks on the album, it just doesn't satisfy what I want to hear from Camel. At least it reprises the main melody from Rhayader towards the end. If i'm in the right mood this can be a fun song, but it's a bit of a far cry from even the highlights on its own album.

105: Manic (The Single Factor)

Just somewhat of a forgettable song and I think that can be attributed to lack of a memorable hook or melody throughout the song. There's a sort of soft and whimsical interlude a little over halfway through that's a nice little change of pace, but it's not enough to save the track for me.

104: Sheet Rain/Whispers/Little River and Little Rose (Dust and Dreams)

My issue with this is less the music than it is the context. It really felt like we were building momentum with the previous 3 tracks on the album and in turn, these tracks just feel like an intermission to the album. These are all very mellow and somewhat pretty, I actually quite like Sheet Rain but as a whole these three tracks just don't have anything all that great going for them.

103: Heroes (The Single Factor)

I actually think the instrumental on this song is kinda nice but the vocals and main hook sort of lack for me. There's nothing terrible I can say about this one, but similarly to manic, it's just kinda plain.

102: After Words (Stationary Traveller)

A short, alright instrumental that serves its purpose of kinda painting a dreary and hopeless feeling atmosphere that is somewhat of a constant on its respective album. I got nothing overly negative to say about it but it just sorta comes and goes without leaving too much of an impression.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List So Far:

(Best)

After Words

Heroes

Sheet Rain/Whispers/Little Rivers and Little Rose

Manic

Neon Magic

The End of the Line

Hearts Desire/End Peace

Rain Dances

Rainbows End

The Homecoming

Your Love is Stranger Than Mine

Remote Romance

(Worst)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 24 2020 at 09:12
I have a soft spot for Heroes; would probably rank it much higher, and no. 1 of that album. End of the Line would also end higher up in my list, though I'm not really a fan of Dust and Dreams.

Edited by Lewian - August 24 2020 at 09:13
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 07:41
Ranking Every Camel Song Day 3: 101-96

Welcome to the third day of ranking every single Camel song worst to best. This probably the last day of the kinda "meh" songs for me, after these songs I think things start getting progressively and quickly better. Anyways:

101: Todays Goodbye (The Single Factor)

An alright tune from The Single Factor with some nice harmonies going for it as well as a decent hook. Doesn't quite knock my socks off or leave much of an impression however.

100: Fingertips (Stationary Traveller)

I find this to be a bit of an Adult Contemporary dud that sort of overstays its welcome. I can enjoy it if i'm in the right mood but its never a highlight for me. Mel Collins guests here but I think his saxophone playing just gives it more of a kinda wimpy Adult Contemporary feel.

99: Eye of the Storm (I Can See Your House From Here)

A really sort of average Camel instrumental that never really has any sort of payoff. It just kinda does its thing and fizzles out without much of cling onto. I don't have too much else to say about it, nothing inherently bad about this track, but its subpar when they got instrumentals like First Light and the Sleeper not far removed from this album.

98: Pressure Points (Stationary Traveller)

A nice little opener to the album with piercing guitars and a steady synth rhythm. It's more here on the low end because its pretty short and simply serves its purpose as opening the album. However, the live version off the album "Pressure Points" extends this instrumental out to 7 minutes and it's definitely my preferred version. It has some awesome fretless bass and generally more breathing room.

97: Please Come Home (Nude)

A very short track meant to sort of advance the concept of the "Nude." It really doesn't work as a standalone track in turn, but in the context of the album it's a nice little emotional song in between two more in a similar ethereal and kinda atmospheric vein.

96: Camelogue (The Single Factor)

A pretty decent track with a memorable hook that sticks with me as well as some nice guitar playing. It doesn't perhaps blow me away, but it ends up leaning more towards the best of the Single Factor.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List So Far:

(Best)

Camelogue

Please Come Home

Pressure Points

Eye of the Storm

Fingertips

Todays Goodbye

After Words

Heroes

Manic

Neon Magic

The End of the Line

Hearts Desire/End Peace

Rain Dances

Rainbows End

The Homecoming

Remote Romance

(Worst)

Edited by dougmcauliffe - August 25 2020 at 07:42
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 08:25
interesting choices...I'm very partial to Stationary Traveller so don't agree on those tracks, but I do agree on most or the others you just listed with the exception of "Camelogue" which I quite like.  I love the melody and the guitar licks.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 09:10
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

interesting choices...I'm very partial to Stationary Traveller so don't agree on those tracks, but I do agree on most or the others you just listed with the exception of "Camelogue" which I quite like.  I love the melody and the guitar licks.

Pretty much exactly what I'm thinking.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2020 at 10:19
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

I do really enjoy Stationary Traveller and even the Single Factor even if the list here doesn't really reflect it all that much. They do both end up near the bottom of my list of favorite albums but that's just because I like the other albums more
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 08:49
Ranking Every Camel Song Day 4: 95-89

Here we are on Day 4, quickly getting into the songs I tend to favor!

95: Selva (The Single Factor)

This is a pretty nice, pleasant soft and spacey instrumental, I don't have too much to add on top of that.

94: Who We Are (I Can See Your House From Here)

I know this song has its fans but i've always had some very mixed opinions on it. I think the intro is really good and always gets the head bobbing with a nice punchy bass and upbeat playing from the rest of the band. However, once we get into the verse and chorus it just takes a very sappy turn with cheesy lyrics, kinda lame adult contemporary orchestration and a really corny hook. I can see it as a guilty pleasure song, but it just doesn't have enough grit for me.

93: Reflections (Nude)

This is a somewhat short subtle and ambient instrumental with a guitar melody similar to the main melody from the verse of "You Make Me Smile" off breathless. Overall its pretty pleasent but it only really works in the context of the album.

92: Pomp and Circumstance (Nude)

This is similar to reflections where its a very meditative and delicate piece with some really nice synths and flute playing. It's very short though and once again is more of an album song ending with the sound of gun shots which is Nude fulfilling his military obligations from the island he's stranded on.

91: Highways of the Sun (Rain Dances)

This song is kinda clearly an attempt at a hit and it sort of misses the mark a bit in that department. It's very steady and can get a little stale quickly but I like the striking electric piano during the pre-chorus. Peter Bardens saves the day with his really cool synth soundscape in the middle accompanied by some pretty groovy drumming. The hook is catchy enough, but unfortunately this song isn't a highlight from it's respective album.

90: Mother Road/Needles (Dust and Dreams)

This is another live staple for the band and its in the live environment where I feel like it gets dragged out to its full potential, with that said, I don't think its the most essential Camel track. The verse and hook are decent enough, but this song reaches a pretty satisfying peak when the main guitar melody really kicks in around the 2:24 mark. I think it could use a little more power and intensity on the studio version but in general I really like this section of the song along with the vocals that accompany it. Needles is an alright mellow instrumental, not the most memorable thing on the album but it's pleasant to listen to.

89: The Hour Candle (Harbour of Tears)

I'm a big fan of Harbour of Tears, but I feel like there's something kinda missing from this song and I can't put my finger on it. It does a very fine job of painting a picture of someone staring out at the ocean from the shore, but I can't help but feel that songs like Ice and Stationary Traveler just do this type of song better. I think there could've been some kind of better lead up into the solo, coming straight out of Coming of Age into this track isn't the most satisfying conclusion for me. Overall though, its a pretty nice song. I will say though, the 20 minutes of Ocean Sounds at the end is total overkill, but I won't count that against it.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List So Far:

(Best)

The Hour Candle

Mother Road/Needles

Highways of the Sun

Pomp and Circumstance

Reflections

Who We Are

Selva

Camelogue

Please Come Home

Pressure Points

Eye of the Storm

Fingertips

Todays Goodbye

After Words

Heroes

Manic

Neon Magic

The End of the Line

Hearts Desire/End Peace

Rain Dances

Rainbows End

The Homecoming

Remote Romance

(Worst)

Edited by dougmcauliffe - August 26 2020 at 08:50
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2020 at 14:24
not much argument from me on these with the exception of "Mother Road" which I like a lot.  I don't even remember the Nude tracks so that says something - as I said most of the Nude beyond the first 4-5 tracks and "lies" is a yawn to me.  "Highways of the Sun" isn't terrible and I do like the synthy middle part, but yeah.   Keep up the good work.  It would be nice to post this somewhere searchable as I think it can be a nice resource for Camel fans and potential fans

Edited by kenethlevine - August 26 2020 at 14:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 08:16
Ranking Every Camel Song Day 5: 88-83

Here's our next batch of Camel songs for the ranking!

88: Down On The Farm (Breathless)

Well here it is, to many Camel fans its "that song," so where do I stand on it? I actually quite like it, its very upbeat, goofy and fun. I like the somewhat subtle flute playing during the chorus and throughout. The actual verse and vocal performance is very nice and catchy. I think the intro motif that is repeated throughout might be a bit too in-your-face, but I think this song is good and fits the vibe of Breathless.

87: Rose of Sharon/Milk and Honey (Dust and Dreams)

This song is conflicting for me, if I was ranking the version off "Never let Go," it would likely be in my top 20, its that good. Matter of fact, the song here is still very good but the female vocals just really miss the mark on the studio cut. Nothing against female vocals, but her voice and the effect put on it just don't sound good to my ears. When Latimer and Colin Bass sing this song together its magic. I love when it kicks into that spacey middle section bringing us into the "Oh Rose You'll Never Know..." part. It's very emotional, but the explosive guitar solo towards the end steals the show. However, this is a rare case in the Camel discography where the vocals really bother me and hinder my enjoyment of a song. Milk N' Honey is another very mellow, spacey inoffensive filler track on Dust and Dreams.

86: One Of These Days I'll Get an Early Night (Rain Dances)

I really did not like this song for the longest time. Coming off of the first 4 albums when I heard that jazz-funk groove open the song I remember asking myself what band I was listening to. However, it's sorta revealed itself to be a bit of a slowburn and one with a good amount of replay value for me. It's Camels attempt at a Jazz Fusion song, yes, this is what they kicked Doug Ferguson out for. With a steady and constant rhythm throughout, the stage is set for Peter Bardens, Andy Latimer and Mel Collins to trade off solos and play off of each other. Peter Bardens has some very nice electric piano playing that sometimes feels a tad bit long winded. Mel Collins and Andy Latimer come in next and Latimer has a really nice and impressive guitar solo closing out the track with a backwards tape loop effect. Overall, I quite enjoy this track and it gets better with time and familiarity. I find it to be a very strange song in the Camel canon and it was very jarring to me at first.

85: West Berlin (Stationary Traveler)

This track is very dark and moody. It packs a pretty memorable chorus with some nice instrumentation to back it up. In the middle there's a pretty cool delay guitar section which comes again and expands in the final minute of the track. There's nothing particularly earth shattering about this track, but all in all its a good, memorable song.

84: Missing (Stationary Traveler)

Very interesting song here, its one of those classic Camel instrumental jam tracks, but done with the instrumentation and production value seen throughout Stationary Traveler. The whole song is in 7 with a keyboard groove kinda reminiscent of the song Lost and Found off of Rajaz. Andy Latimer absolutely tears it up on guitar. After a somewhat brief 80s keyboard solo Andy Latimer hops back in going even more ham on his guitar while the instruments around him progressively build up the soundscape accompanying him. The 80s piano comes back in and the track slowly fades out. It's a pretty strong instrumental, perhaps not the most dynamic or explosive of its sort, but its among the more exciting and fast paced parts of Stationary Traveller.

83: End of the Day (Harbour of Tears)

This a very soft, low-key and somber track with acoustic guitar playing and Latimer vocals as well as a nice main melody in the middle. This leads us into soft melodic flute playing which seamlessly flows into a guitar solo that interestingly works as a continuation of the flute solo. Overall this track is pretty short and works as a nice softer contrast to the following track "Coming Of Age."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List So Far:

(Best)

End of the Day

Missing

West Berlin

One Of These Days I’ll Get an Early Night

Rose of Sharon/Milk and Honey

Down on the Farm

The Hour Candle

Mother Road/Needles

Highways of the Sun

Pomp and Circumstance

Reflections

Who We Are

Selva

Camelogue

Please Come Home

Pressure Points

Eye of the Storm

Fingertips

Todays Goodbye

After Words

Heroes

Manic

Neon Magic

The End of the Line

Hearts Desire/End Peace

Rain Dances

Rainbows End

The Homecoming

Remote Romance

(Worst)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2020 at 10:28
I'd probably have "Down on the Farm" even higher up. It works really well as a fun song (I'm one of those who think Breathless is hugely underrated in Camel's catalogue). Otherwise not much disagreement - maybe I'd also rate some Stationary Traveller higher. Re kenethlevine, I think Nude is a great album, but it's really the whole of it that makes it worthwhile. I don't think one can do justice to Nude as well as Snow Goose in a song ranking, but I said this before and keep on going anyway! 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 07:57
Ranking Every Camel Song Day 6: 82-77

Here we are on day 6 with another set of 6 tracks! Thank you to everybody who has been throwing in their two cents on these tracks and the rankings!

82: Lies (Nude)

A pretty decent track, its got a nice guitar solo and some heavy hitting organ work in the middle. Overall it doesn't blow my socks off but its an alright track for the latter half of Nude.

81: Wait (I Can See Your House From Here)

Pretty good track, the opening always makes me feel like i'm booting up Super Smash Brothers. The song has a really smooth and fast paced flow from section to section. The verse almost kinda sounds like something Dire Straits would do, I can't say the verse or chorus are my favorites, but the jam it kicks into at 2:04 is sick and unfortunately ends up being one of the only times Kit Watkins is allowed to let loose on the album. He is originally from US prog band Happy the Man and his keyboard work on their first two albums is not only incredibly impressive, but it's just dripping in creativity and originality. Now back to the song, I really enjoy the melodic guitar stretches towards the end which expand on the intro riff. All in all, one of the highlights from its respective album.

80: You Make Me Smile (Breathless)

A little on the cheesy side, with perhaps a hint of disco, but I shamelessly really enjoy this track. It's got a pretty neat synth and drum groove. Corny lyrics aside, you're never gonna catch me NOT singing along to the chorus. Bardens works some of his synth magic later in the song with some really tasty tones and all in all, while it's not the most challenging or dense Camel song, it's a very pleasant and upbeat song on a very pleasant and upbeat album.

79: Dust Bowl/Go West/Dusted Out (Dust and Dreams)

I really like this opening suite and specifically "Go West" as I see it as the centerpiece of this set of songs. To start off. Dust Bowl kicks things off with a kinda derelict vibe with some really nice instrumentation. It's the intimate and minimalist Go West that really sticks with me with soft and subtle instrumentation, vocals as well as a nice hook with clear lyrics throughout that properly introduce the concept. I will once again plug the "Never Let Go" version of this track as it stretches most the tracks to their full potential. Dusted Out is a more heavy hitting spin on the first two tracks introducing some of the albums main motifs in a less developed and more subtle way. Dust and Dreams (Studio) is probably in my bottom 3 Camel albums, but it really does a fine job with its conceptual elements and reoccurring musical motifs throughout.

78: No Easy Answers (The Single Factor)

I had always heard that The Single Factor was the bottom of the barrel for Camel. When I first put it on I went in with low expectations but this track came on and it kinda caught me off guard because I really enjoyed it. Is it a pop song? Yes, but so what? It's catchy and well written. Don't let reviews or general consensus skew your perception on an album before hearing it yourself. Because lots of times it comes down to the first few people who put their opinions out there ultimately determining the end game general opinion on albums. I know many of the tracks here rank low, but I think it's always a nice listen. Right out the gate this track kicks off with some really catchy vocal lines. I love the "La La La" section with clapping and some really clean acoustic guitars accompanying it. The ending of this track is great as well with some nice synths and a really uplifting guitar solo. Just a really well written and performed pop song.

77: Cloak and Dagger Man (Stationary Traveler)

Another track that was very jarring to me at first but it gets better with every listen for me. It has a very frantic feel with lead vocals from Chris Rainbow. It's hard to explain what it is I like about this track but I just find the all the vocal lines and delivery to be extremely catchy. Towards the end there's these piercing synths that are just fired at you like a machine gun and I think it's just awesome. There's no turning baaaaaacccckkkkk!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The List So Far:

(Best)

Cloak and Dagger Man

No Easy Answers

Dust Bowl/Go West/Dusted Out

You Make Me Smile

Wait

Lies

End of the Day

Missing

West Berlin

One Of These Days I’ll Get an Early Night

Rose of Sharon/Milk and Honey

Down on the Farm

The Hour Candle

Mother Road/Needles

Highways of the Sun

Pomp and Circumstance

Reflections

Who We Are

Selva

Camelogue

Please Come Home

Pressure Points

Eye of the Storm

Fingertips

Todays Goodbye

After Words

Heroes

Manic

Neon Magic

The End of the Line

Hearts Desire/End Peace

Rain Dances

Rainbows End

The Homecoming

Remote Romance

(Worst)

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 08:58
Things become quite decent already... although no way I'd rank You Make Me Smile higher than Down by the Farm. Dust and Dreams is probably the Camel album I'd rank last, but this triplet is quite worthwhile, and I may have it even higher. 
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 17:37
About your comment that the first few people can skew an opinion on a song or album.  All I have to say to that is "Cloak and Dagger Man".  It's a truly brilliant 1980s synth based song that at least one PA reviewer used to justify giving Stationary Traveler 4 stars instead of 5.    I mean get the magnets out of your ears and listen!

OK off the soapbox now
Actually that whole album is that great.

And I like "No Easy Answer" as well.
And "Wait"
and oh yes, "lies".  The version on "Pressure Points" is wonderful
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2020 at 18:26
You should contact ultimate classic rock and submit the list to them. They might even pay you. ;) I say that because I have seen similar lists like this on there like ones for Yes and Rush. Other sites might do it too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>