Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

If all crossover prog would vanish

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: If all crossover prog would vanish..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.33%]
4 [9.30%]
31 [72.09%]
7 [16.28%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: If all crossover prog would vanish
    Posted: August 31 2020 at 02:32
Just curious..
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:26
Crossover Prog is, according to PA, Mike Oldfield. For that alone it's a huge loss.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:30
crossover prog-light for a lot of people, but why would it vanish? Confused

Edited by Cristi - August 31 2020 at 03:30
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:36
I'd lose all my Peter Gabriel, which terrible enough, and apparently Duke might qualify for Crossover too, which is even worse. So... awful, I'd lose a big part of my collection.
And worse than that (ok, an exageration), for some reason I can't turn italics off.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:42
I can do without it, k
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 03:49
I voted for "Awful, I'd loose a big part of my music collection" even though I don't have many Crossover Prog albums. But, some of the Crossover Prog albums I do have are among my favourite albums, such as Split Enz - Mental Notes.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why would you have to choose between Genesis and Yes..?
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:40
Originally posted by friso friso wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Why would you have to choose between Genesis and Yes..?

it's not the same thing. Yes and Genesis are two bands, that exist. You've created a "what if" poll (an exercise in imagination) which TBH I don't see the point, that's why I asked why would it vanish? Some people dislike it, I get it,  it's the light side of prog, but still... Confused
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 04:43
A pity but ... Unhappy
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 06:50
It would indeed be very sad.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 08:42
Crossover prog is an artificial construct. No band ever said, “I know, we’ll make a crossover album this year, rather than that symphonic nonsense”.

Having said that, by the extraordinarily loose definition of it on this site, I would lose a huge amount of my collection, so it would be rather awful.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 09:30
This happened with my comic book collection, when somebody ripped off my storage facility and cherry-picked the boxes.

I cried without end.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:07
Supertramp. Enough said.
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:08
KATE BUSH. MORE SAID.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 11:48
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

This happened with my comic book collection, when somebody ripped off my storage facility and cherry-picked the boxes.

I cried without end.

Say what? That's awful. Don't tell me they left you with everything Liefeld worked on...!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 12:27
Not the end of the world, but an absolute, total bummer.
Always good to have those other bits of color in the jukebox.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 12:46
If you mean the category, which was invented for this site, I think it's useful. That said, if we had multi-genre album tagging we wouldn't need the term as descriptor. Prog by nature tends to crossover with other styles, but if just referring to that which crosses over with pop/mainstream, well that's a huge amount of music (most all of PA some would say) that could be said to be crossover and many of my favourite albums could fit that description. I categorise more by album (and even track) than by band, but if you mean if all the bands included in PA's category were to disappear, well, that would be a huge lose for me. It includes favourites of mine such as Kate Bush, David Axelrod, The Advancement, The Alan Parsons Project, Bjork, yes Bjork, Chrome Hoof, Bent Knee, and could possibly include albums by acts such as Stereolab, Pram, some Broadcast and Air.... I consider various David Bowie albums to be crossover.

If every album that I would consider to be on the Crossover side was lost from my collection, it would be a huge loss, and that goes well beyond what is included in PA in the Crossover prog category.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 13:26
For some reason The Moody Blues are in Crossover and I would surely miss them since they have been a big favorite since 1967/1968 for me. Also like PT and Wilson, Bush and Talk Talk...could live without the others.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 14:46
Talk Talk, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield, David Sylvian, Supertramp, iamthemorning, Björk,... some of the biggest. 
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 31 2020 at 15:09
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Talk Talk, Kate Bush, Mike Oldfield, David Sylvian, Supertramp, iamthemorning, Björk,... some of the biggest. 

WordClap. And don't forget Knifeworld and Bent Knee. I am afraid a lot of people who dis Crossover have never had a look at the list of bands and artists included in the subgenre. The usual narrow-mindedness of prog fansWink. Anyway, I think this thread belongs to Just for Fun.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>