Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog in the 1990's: The Year 1997

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
1 [1.69%]
0 [0.00%]
7 [11.86%]
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
1 [1.69%]
7 [11.86%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.69%]
2 [3.39%]
2 [3.39%]
8 [13.56%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [6.78%]
1 [1.69%]
8 [13.56%]
2 [3.39%]
2 [3.39%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [5.08%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prog in the 1990's: The Year 1997
    Posted: September 06 2020 at 17:57
Historically, OK Computer, but, right now, Homogenic
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 12:38
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

I've surprised myself by voting "Radiohead - OK Computer" over "Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase". But I've come to realise that "Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase" is a fairly standard symphonic prog album, whereas "Radiohead - OK Computer" is a masterpiece space-rock concept album loosely based on the "Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy" universe, and therefore fully deserves my vote.

This was sort of my logic as well. Unfolded Like Staircase is definitely more progressive by traditional standards but OK Computer is one of my favorite albums of all time.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 13:46

I've surprised myself by voting "Radiohead - OK Computer" over "Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase". But I've come to realise that "Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase" is a fairly standard symphonic prog album, whereas "Radiohead - OK Computer" is a masterpiece space-rock concept album loosely based on the "Hitchhicker's Guide to the Galaxy" universe, and therefore fully deserves my vote.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 11:21
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

Where is Spock's Beard- Kindness of Strangers? Whoops. 

There does seem to be some revisionist history lately as to when it was released(including from the band's website)which seems to add to the confusion but it seems to me it was actually originally released in 97 and not 98(discogs and at least one other site say so also). If the OP wants to include it in 98 I suppose it's not that big a deal but it would still be wrong.

That's interesting; I'd never seen that dated listed before. Either way it didn't make it into the 98 poll and it wouldn't have made it here either—not by a huge margin, but it didn't quite make the cut.

Well, that's a happy accident that is just as well I suppose. However, if you like Spock's Beard it's definitely an album worth checking out regardless of when it was actually released. 

Oh I certainly agree—it was one of the first Spock's albums I listened to, and I think "Flow" was the first epic of theirs I ever heard.

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 15:34
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

There does seem to be some revisionist history lately as to when it was released(including from the band's website)which seems to add to the confusion but it seems to me it was actually originally released in 97 and not 98(discogs and at least one other site say so also). If the OP wants to include it in 98 I suppose it's not that big a deal but it would still be wrong.

That's interesting; I'd never seen that dated listed before. Either way it didn't make it into the 98 poll and it wouldn't have made it here either—not by a huge margin, but it didn't quite make the cut.

Well, that's a happy accident that is just as well I suppose. However, if you like Spock's Beard it's definitely an album worth checking out regardless of when it was actually released. 
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 13:05
Unfolded Like Staircase over any other album in the 1990s.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 13:01

Edited by tempest_77 - September 04 2020 at 13:02

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 16:45

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 03 2020 at 17:21
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 16:40
IQ with The Flower Kings next
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 15:20
My vote for Pär Lindh Project. I love Porcupine Tree "Coma Divine" live album of 1997.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:52
1997 is one of my preferred years for music.

I vote for Art Zoyd's Häxan, which is one of my very favourite albums. Höyry-Kone's Huono Parturi and Robert Wyatt's Shleep are two other particular favourites. Also much liked is Koenji Hyakkei's second, Björk's Homogenic, and I like the Radiohead and Godspeed You! Black Emperor selections. There is very much goodness for my tastes in this poll.

Not in PA, I love Stereolab's Dots and Loops (it's been one of my most listened to albums over the last couple of years).
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:41
Discipline, followed by Radiohead.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Par Lindh Project for me , but a lot of great albums released this year including Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lantern which didn't even make the list. 

This was another album, like Marillion's This Strange Engine, that was one of the last ones I had to cut to get it down to 25 albums. It nearly made it though.

Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 00:27
Surprised the Beard isn't here.

Edit: Sorry, they didn't have an album this year. Ignore me.

Incidentally, I was born at the end of 1997.

Edited by Awesoreno - September 03 2020 at 00:28
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 15:19
Par Lindh Project for me , but a lot of great albums released this year including Mansun - Attack Of The Grey Lantern which didn't even make the list. 
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 14:34
First vote for After Crying
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 11:22
The previous year was not so good for me but this one is much better. I voted Stardust We are, the Flower Kings at their best. Other contenders, in no particular order are Subterrenea, Imaginary Day, and Curious Corn.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 09:53
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

IQ. Surprised Marillion not at least on the list...

They were one of the last ones that I cut; just wasn't enough room alongside all the excellent releases from this year.

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 08:11
I said it would be easy and it is.
Subterranea by far. Possibly the best album of the 90s, but The Masquerade Overture and 1998's and 1999's best albums might be close contenders.
Both those years will be ridiculously easy choices for me.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2020 at 07:06
Subterrenea.
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>