5 [6.85%]
24 [32.88%]
28 [38.36%]
10 [13.70%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:32
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Seven Stones +1
Cinema show
Stagnation
Watcher
Entangled

I like all of them.
Surely 8 stones then? LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
digdug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote digdug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 10:42
Watcher of the Skies
Prog On!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:00
Point two - I agree, SEBTP, Duke, Foxtrot, and a few other Genesis albums could be concept albums.
[/QUOTE]

Get the others but --why Foxtrot? 
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:17
Cinema Show
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:20
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Point two - I agree, SEBTP, Duke, Foxtrot, and a few other Genesis albums could be concept albums.

Get the others but --why Foxtrot? 
Same sort of thing as SEBTP, accept Foxtrot is more themed on England's past, wheras SEBTP was about England at the present (when it was released, anyway).
Watcher of the Skies - about a John Keats poem. Great intro.
Time Table - a lament about how old England deteriorated through constant war.
Get 'Em Out By Friday - about corrupt property developers. Admittedly, this seems more SEBTP than Foxtrot, but actually it's been happening since property development and renting flats began in the 12th century.
Can-utility and the Coastliners - about the legendary king Cnut (or Canute).
Horizons - instrumental, no comment
Supper's Ready - who knows? But there are a lot of allusions to old England in there - and, funnily enough, the Book of Revelation from the Bible.

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2020 at 11:49
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Stagnation. Absolutely fascinating song.

Maybe you should vote for it then? Wink
By George, I did forget to check the spot. Fixed - thanks. Silly me.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 02:05

Really? I thought it was about aliens.

EDIT - so the title comes from a Keats poem but the lyrics are about aliens looking down on a deserted Earth.

Edited by chopper - September 04 2020 at 02:07
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 03:59

EDIT - so the title comes from a Keats poem but the lyrics are about aliens looking down on a deserted Earth.
An impact of New Wave science fiction is obvious.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 12:57
Entangled. But I would vote Stagnation perhaps the next time I'm asked.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 23:32

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

The Cinema Show. The other songs here are good choices, but they just don't have the complexity of Cinema Show, which was originally part of a 20-minute suite with DWtMK and Aisle of Plenty. 

Was it?
I mean, I've heard The Cinema Show was conceived as a ~20 minute epic piece, but they ultimately decided against it in order to fit After the Ordeal and appease Hackett. If it was meant to be played with Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, it's already 20 minutes, so why was it cut & split in the first place? Just wondering what's the real story behind it.

To avoid comparisons to Supper's Ready. That was, I think the main reason. It was the same reason they cancelled the Duke suite, and a few others too. I ran a thread on the subject a while ago:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123788
I actually think it was a more strategic idea to have one, uncontested masterpiece, than what for example Yes and Rush did (make loads of possible masterpieces), so people argue about which was the best one all the time.

If it was actually thought about being made an epic like that, the why the hell didn't they? For comparisons to Supper's Ready? What's with them and their fear of comparisons being made with that song... this other epic would have given it a good run for it's money... it might even have ended up being my favourite of the two.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 05:03
The Cinema Show.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 05:03

So we were both right.
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

The Cinema Show. The other songs here are good choices, but they just don't have the complexity of Cinema Show, which was originally part of a 20-minute suite with DWtMK and Aisle of Plenty. 

Was it?
I mean, I've heard The Cinema Show was conceived as a ~20 minute epic piece, but they ultimately decided against it in order to fit After the Ordeal and appease Hackett. If it was meant to be played with Dancing with the Moonlit Knight, it's already 20 minutes, so why was it cut & split in the first place? Just wondering what's the real story behind it.

To avoid comparisons to Supper's Ready. That was, I think the main reason. It was the same reason they cancelled the Duke suite, and a few others too. I ran a thread on the subject a while ago:
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=123788
I actually think it was a more strategic idea to have one, uncontested masterpiece, than what for example Yes and Rush did (make loads of possible masterpieces), so people argue about which was the best one all the time.

If it was actually thought about being made an epic like that, the why the hell didn't they? For comparisons to Supper's Ready? What's with them and their fear of comparisons being made with that song... this other epic would have given it a good run for it's money... it might even have ended up being my favourite of the two.
Well, like I said, I think it was a more strategic idea to have one, uncontested masterpiece, leaving us to argue endlessly about it. Slightly ironic, really, since all the people who didn't comment on my Genesis Hidden Suites thread are now talking about the subject.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 19:31
stagnation for sure. the instrumental section in the middle of that song is one of the most brilliant arrangements to come from Gabriel-Era genesis and its probably the best song on Trespass next to The Knife.  
The most dangerous man in America.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 10:28
Seven Stones needs a vote. Tongue
Frets N Worries View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frets N Worries Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 10:40
Cinema Show

'Cause it's only knock and know all, but I like it...

Working on a New Album, might be one huge track |Bandcamp
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 10:41
Watcher of the Skies
Octopus II View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Octopus II Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 10:45
Another vote for Watcher Of The Skies. Smile
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 10:56
Went for Cinema Show. I'm not sure if WotS is even in my top ten. 
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 12:19
Cinema Show. Everywhere I go they hand me bags of socks.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2023 at 12:29
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

Everywhere I go they hand me bags of socks.

Lucky you! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>