Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mellotron and Moog synthesizer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2020 at 21:25
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The ARP Odyssey (used by Triumvirat's Jurgen Fritz) and the Solina String Ensemble do what the Mellotron can do, minus the 8-second duration.

Hi,

And the ARTURIA VST is also just as strong and good ... in fact, I was thinking that King Crimson might even be using it! Not sure though but the sound is very clean to what I have on the software!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
elpprogster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote elpprogster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 05 2020 at 14:29
www.planetmellotron.com

For ALL things MELLOTRON! :)
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 01:39
The Yamaha GX1 is another keyboard instrument that I can readily name . JPJ and Keith Emerson used it in the late seventies but it never really caught on because it was very expensive and prog was dying on it's arse anyway. The Neo prog bands used cheaper keyboards to create the sounds they wanted in the 80's although Emerson carried on using it (allied with MIDI) until he moved over to Korg synths and then more or less dumped it.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 02:30
The Mellotron is unique in that each individual key plays a note that was recorded by a living, professional musician.  Therefore, if you listen, you will hear bow inflections in strings, breath variation in woodwinds, and subtle timber changes in vocals.  (a music major in college pointed this out to me many years ago).  

Although there have been many attempts to emulate the Mellotron with digital circuitry (ARP String Ensemble, Polymoog etc.), they are as sterile sounding as CDs compared to vinyl records.  Mellotron sounds are more organic and rich, which is heard best on songs like “The Revealing Science of God.”  

There are now many digital synths and even iPad apps available that utilize samples of genuine Mellotron tapes, and I had the pleasure to watch King Crimson play Mellotron samples on iPads in their concert on 26 September, 2014 in Chicago.  Bob Fripp would sometimes trigger Mellotron samples with his guitar, and others in the band held up iPads.  It was remarkable to watch!  I even have the software on my own iPad (Mellotronics), it is fun to play with! 

Interestingly, many of the musicians who recorded the music samples we hear are probably now deceased, so in a real sense, playing a Mellotron with authentic tape samples is to summon the music of ghosts.  I find that a fascinating aspect of this amazing instrument.  

Here we see Prof. Fripp with the only black Mellotron I've ever seen!!  

Edited by cstack3 - September 06 2020 at 02:34
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 03:31
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

The ARP Odyssey (used by Triumvirat's Jurgen Fritz) and the Solina String Ensemble do what the Mellotron can do, minus the 8-second duration.

Hi,

And the ARTURIA VST is also just as strong and good ... in fact, I was thinking that King Crimson might even be using it! Not sure though but the sound is very clean to what I have on the software!

The Arturia one is a toy, and not a very good one. 

King Crimson using it TongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongueTongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 03:40
Contrary to popular belief, the Moog modulars were never massively popular. 

For a start, Moog only ever made about 150 modular systems. Huge Moogs were virtually unheard of, and most of the production was geared towards Model 55 (and smaller) systems. The high spots were probably around 1968-74 or so. Really, the Minimoog took over from there. 

Early Minimoogs were dreadful, the oscillator tuning and scaling on them was hit and miss in the extreme. Most early analogue synths had very poor build quality, as the components were pretty spotty quality, with resistors varying massively in value, leaky capacitors, crackly potentiometers. It's only when builds shift to a more integrated circuit based design with, say, ARP's range of synths that buying an analogue synth became less hit and miss. 

Polymoogs and polyphonic synths are slightly out of the "classic" period of prog rock as well. The Polymoog came in in 1975, but, the world being what it was at the time, it was a good few years before bands could find them, let alone afford them. 

Also in the pot are early string synths, like the Elka, which rarely get a mention, but were much more common. 

As for the Arturia VST range, they bear as much resemblance to the original instruments as a VST drumkit does to a real one. Toys. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 03:43
A famous quote about the Mellotron is "Tuning a Mellotron.... doesn't". 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 10:54
These two posts on the mellotron and minimoog by cstack and davesax were excellent. It's wonderful to hear from two experts on the subject.

Edited by SteveG - September 06 2020 at 10:59
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

The Mellotron is unique in that each individual key plays a note that was recorded by a living, professional musician.  Therefore, if you listen, you will hear bow inflections in strings, breath variation in woodwinds, and subtle timber changes in vocals.  (a music major in college pointed this out to me many years ago).  

Although there have been many attempts to emulate the Mellotron with digital circuitry (ARP String Ensemble, Polymoog etc.), they are as sterile sounding as CDs compared to vinyl records.  Mellotron sounds are more organic and rich, which is heard best on songs like “The Revealing Science of God.”

All of the above is true and accurate. Guys like Jurgen Fritz and Joe Zawinul used the ARP because it's a synth, not a tape machine, and thus wouldn't detune rapidly — plus the aforementioned note duration. But they were mainly used for string sounds, like the Solina (which, IMO, sound as good as the 'Tron's).

I love Rick's use of the Mellotron on TFTO. Tangerine Dream made spectacular use of the 'Tron, it goes without saying. There really is no "replacing" a real Mellotron!

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 06 2020 at 11:53
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Early Minimoogs were dreadful, the oscillator tuning and scaling on them was hit and miss in the extreme. Most early analogue synths had very poor build quality, as the components were pretty spotty quality, with resistors varying massively in value, leaky capacitors, crackly potentiometers. It's only when builds shift to a more integrated circuit based design with, say, ARP's range of synths that buying an analogue synth became less hit and miss. 

Polymoogs and polyphonic synths are slightly out of the "classic" period of prog rock as well. The Polymoog came in in 1975, but, the world being what it was at the time, it was a good few years before bands could find them, let alone afford them.

Ever listen to Saga's early albums, Dave? Their synth arsenal is comprised of mostly Moogs: MiniMoog, MemoryMoog, PolyMoog, MultiMoog, a Moog Vocoder ("Careful Where You Step") and even the MicroMoog! They also used the Yamaha CS-80, PPG Wave 2.0, etc.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 00:12
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

These two posts on the mellotron and minimoog by cstack and davesax were excellent. It's wonderful to hear from two experts on the subject.

Thank you, Steve!  I'm not even a keyboard player (well, what I play on keys could not charitably be called "music.")

Nay, THIS chap is the expert!!   A Brit friend of mine (Steve Carney, former lead vocalist in Yes trib band "Fragile") told me "You have been anointed!" 

Edited by cstack3 - September 07 2020 at 00:12
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 00:55
There's a great mention up there of the Solina. Solina and Elka string synths rarely get a mention, but sometimes when you think you've heard a Mellotron, it's an old string synth. 

I've got a modern Waldorf Streichfett here, they really are a very good modern repro. 

One note (no pun intended) about the Mellotron was that it was an utterly impractical instrument. New sound ? Change tapes. This was NOT easy. Basically, a huge compromise due to the limitations of the technology: it was always going to fail. Like tape echoes, they were always going to be replaced by electronics, as soon as something came along. 

One of my musician friends has a modern Mellotron, which sounds excellent. At the end of the day, it's playing digital samples..... the original Trons played samples in the form of tapes. I fail to see what the difference is. If you want it to sound "tapey" then there's all kinds of effects you can apply to it later. It's actually best to have an instrument which sounds perfect which you can then alter than to have an instrument which sounds imperfect which you can't. ;-)

Yes, I've got some VST Mellotrons as well. Like all VST stuff, they sound dead and lifeless. The subtle dynamics aren't there. VSTs have a place, they're for people who can't afford the real thing (who can ? Oh yes, King Crimson) , or don't want to have the brain ache of having to maintain vintage instruments.

That's fine, where it becomes "not fine" is where companies like Arturia market them as being replacements and someone buys them and tries to convince you a sub $100 plugin is ever going to sound and behave like a $150,000 Moog modular.

No it doesn't, as if it ever would, and here's someone with the hem hem knowledge having played both instruments rather than the hem hem opinion of having read something on the internet. Dunning Kruger time again. 

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 05:43
^ There's nothing like a real synth especially for lead sounds but there are times where cold lifeless synths is what a song needs. I don't think VST's are a replacement, just a tool for another trade.

A cool thing you can do with Mellotron VST's that you can't do with a real one is sequencing it. It sounds so cold and creepy, which is perfect for an horror movie soundtrack.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 06:23
Mellotron samples can't be stretched by wear or suffer unpredictable changes in pitch like a real Mellotron. Another set of it's endearing features. But yes, aside from that, samples sound fine.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 06:26
@cstack3: I know that you are a bass player but you're still an expert on the 'tron. Cheers.

Edited by SteveG - September 07 2020 at 06:29
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 07:11
To address the OP's original question...

The very nature of progressive music is to "progress', to push the boundaries, to explore new sounds and  techniques. The Mellotron and Moog synth offered opportunities to incorporate sounds that were not previously accessible (Moog) or to incorporate sounds (string sections, oboe, etc) that might be impractical to incorporate from a personnel point of view. Just like incorporating jazz, classical or middle-eastern motifs in their compositions allowed prog artists to separate themselves from mainstream rock, so did the Mellotron and Moog. That separation is what we all like about prog. Otherwise it would just be plain old rock 'n roll.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 12:16
If you want to hear what Heaven sounds like, skip ahead to 4:10.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 16:23
Well, at least no one posted about the dreaded Synclavier. 😋
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 16:44
Quote Although there have been many attempts to emulate the Mellotron with digital circuitry (ARP String Ensemble, Polymoog etc.)

I dunno if I understood what you meant to say but the ARP and Polymoog were all analog.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2020 at 10:16
The attempts to emulate them have been using digital technology. 

Here's what I use for string synth simulation. 

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>