Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, Who Exactly is a Member of the Big Six?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 14:07
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

But even so, those groups do not compare to Pink Floyd, Genesis, Yes, ELP, Jethro Tull, King Crimson as far as THE Big Six are concerned.

So, my answer to the OP's question of who THE Big Six are, without regard to my own personal preferences, is:

1. Pink Floyd
2. Genesis
3. Yes
4. ELP
5. Jethro Tull
6. King Crimson

it depends on what criteria you use for the definition of "Big Six". my criteria happen to be different from the criteria of most others

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 14:11
> Pink Floyd: Brought many many people to prog including me (together with Manfred Mann's Earth Band) and many of my friends. More progressive most of the time than 95% of what people who don't want to see PF in the list call "real prog".

> Can: Well done Jose mentioning them! @lazland: You apparently have no idea how many 80s and later musicians name them as major influence. I'd say you find clearly more than for Yes, Jethro Tull, or ELP.  

BTW, if you ask rateyourmusic for the top progressive rock albums according to user ratings, the top 10 are 4 Pink Floyd, 3 Can, 2 King Crimson, and 1 Yes.

Edited by Lewian - September 07 2020 at 14:16
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 14:15
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

it depends on what criteria you use for the definition of "Big Six". my criteria happen to be different from the criteria of most others

There is only one "THE Big Six" (with uppercase definite article to emphasise uniqueness). And the criteria of most others is the correct criteria for that.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 14:57
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

> Can: Well done Jean mentioning them!

Fixed. Wink
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 15:06
Michael Jackson 
Kanye West 
Snoop Dog 
Janet Jackson 
Lady Gaga 
Insane Clown Posse 

....I teach middle school, and the kids have no idea what we are talking about, nor me about their choice most of the time.  It makes for interesting conversations!  I turned a few kids onto Yes, they dug it. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 15:38
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Yes
Genesis
Pink Floyd
King Crimson
ELP
Gentle Giant

To my understanding these are the big six. I didn't include Jethro Tull because then it would be unfair to the Moody Blues. GG were more firmly a prog band so they get my vote instead. I was tempted to add Rush but they didn't really make their mark until a bit later so they are not really part of the first wave. Also, this is not a list of personal favorites for me and I hope no one treats it that way.

Think this list makes a lot of sense.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 16:00
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

in no specific order:

Van der Graaf Generator
Magma
Gong
Amon Düül II
Embryo
Can

You could make a fairly convincing argument on the influence VDGG had on a pile of artists, some pretty successful. As for the rest, they strike me as being your favourites, which is not the question being asked. The remaining 5 were influential in their own, pretty small, circle. As far as the outside world was concerned, they were as influential as my wiping my arse of a morning.

Well u could argue that Magma inspired its own genre (zeuhl), Gong are one of the originators of Space Rock, CAN and Amon Duul II were at the forefront of the German psyche moment. All have been influential just not in mainstream prog.
Other than people on this site, which is not many anymore, virtually nobody could describe anything about it...More influential from a world perspective in Space Rock would be Hawkwind.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 16:07
My point was that the poster stated they had zero influence, my response was that it may not be as big as the big 6 but was more than zero.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 18:52
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

The Big Six are actually The Big Five plus a sixth one of your choosing. This allows everyone to think that their favourite band is part of The Big Six...
It's "the Big Four", actually. I mean, four British bands from the early days of movement that have achieved commercial success on both sides of the Atlantic, i.e. Jethro Tull, Emerson, Lake & Palmer, Yes and Genesis.
As "Psychedelic rock" and Pink Floyd were almost synonyms in the 70's, Pink Floyd weren't considered as a "Progressive rock" band back in the day so they couldn't be one of "Big Four".
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:02
If you're talking a Big 4 its Yes, Genesis, Crimson & Pink Floyd. However much you guys try to discount them you can't ignore Floyd they had too big a footprint on the period.
Ian

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:10

If you're talking a Big 4 its Yes, Genesis, Crimson & Pink Floyd. However much you guys try to discount them you can't ignore Floyd they had too big a footprint on the period.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:11

I don't think anyone is discounting them I just think some people don't consider them prog or prog enough maybe. 

As for ELP they were big but aside from King Crimson they were the only major prog band who didn't have any platinum albums(all of their 70's albums went gold but that's it). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 07 2020 at 19:14
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:16

I don't think anyone is discounting them I just think some people don't consider them prog or prog enough maybe.
Even in Progarchives, Pink Floyd are categorized as "Psychedelic rock".
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:25

As for ELP they were big but aside from King Crimson they were the only major prog band who didn't have any platinum albums(all of their 70's albums went gold but that's it). 
King Crimson have disbanded in 1974. Thus, they have been the past already in 1976.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:29
Implying no particular order:

1. King Crimson
2. Genesis
3. Yes
4. Jethro Tull
5. Pink Floyd
6. Frank Zappa (and the Mothers of Invention)
7. ELP
8. Rush

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:43
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

King Crimson have disbanded in 1974. Thus, they have been the past already in 1976.

That doesn't mean much. They were still very much part of the first wave of prog. Also, you could argue that things started to go downhill after 1974 anyway.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 07 2020 at 19:44
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:45
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

Implying no particular order:

1. King Crimson
2. Genesis
3. Yes
4. Jethro Tull
5. Pink Floyd
6. Frank Zappa (and the Mothers of Invention)
7. ELP
8. Rush

Nice list but I personally would have hard time having a list of 8 bands from the first wave that didn't include Gentle Giant. I'm not sure why so many people on here neglect them. Could it be an age thing?

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 07 2020 at 19:46
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:48

Even in Progarchives, Pink Floyd are categorized as "Psychedelic rock".

And thus 'prog'.
Ian

Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:55

Oh fantastic ClapClapClapClap

I'll take Discipline through The Power To Believe 100 times out of 100 ahead of:-

Going For The One onward
And Then There Were 3 onward
Works Vol 1 onward
Animals onward

Exactly how many times have Yes broken up and reformed?
Ian

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2020 at 19:59

you could argue that things started to go downhill after 1974 anyway.
Actually, "Prog" was the most popular in 1975-1977 when the younger generation of fans arrived.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>