Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd and the Great Labeling Wars of '20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Your question technically is asking the wrong question because here on PA there is no music genre category labelled "Progressive Rock". All the categories are sub-genres of Progressive Music, they all lead up to Progressive Music, the over riding umbrella here on PA. 
Its the same thing as a Family Tree, you ultimately are connected to the top family member. So being listed here the bands can be called Progressive Music or bands that make/made progressive music.

Pink Floyd is labeled Psychedelic/Space Rock so that is really the only thing you can question if you want.....To answer your question YES they are considered Progressive Music, or in general terms they are a progressive rock band. 

Well said, I agree!  I used to grit my teeth at calling PF "Progressive," but upon years of reflection, I think they earned the label.  A progressive rock band seems right.  Albums like "Meddle" certainly fit the bill.  Cheers, C!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 05:49
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Pink Floyd is a great band, either it gets the labels of being progressive or not. I quite enjoy their music and that's all I care about.

SPOT ON!!
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 06:04
If they're not prog rock, I don't know what they are.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 06:15
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

If they're not prog rock, I don't know what they are.

don't you know?! 
they're cha-cha-cha 
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote friso Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 07:30
The Atom Heart Mother suite should even be considered to be an avant-prog piece.
I'm guitarist and songwriter for the prog-related band Mother Bass. Find us at http://www.motherbass.com. I also enter stages throughout the Netherlands performing my poetry.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 00:19
In the seventies Floyd were not prog . Part of this was probably because they were not 'showy' enough perhaps or just way too big to be bracketed with anything else.
Prog rock was ELP , Yes , Crimson, Tull and Genesis etc.
However the jazz rock fusion stuff was also very much separate and now that gets lumped in as does Supertramp who also were never regarded as prog as I remember.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 01:38
See if you recognize anything about the soundtrack of the upcoming movie version of "Dune"

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 04:12
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

In the seventies Floyd were not prog . Part of this was probably because they were not 'showy' enough perhaps or just way too big to be bracketed with anything else.
However the jazz rock fusion stuff was also very much separate and now that gets lumped in as does Supertramp who also were never regarded as prog as I remember.
Exactly. It should also be mentioned that back then there was a certain, not huge, but still a difference between the terms "jazz-rock" and "jazz-fusion". Thus, the bands like Brand X, Pierre Moerlen's Gong, Soft Machine, Hatfield and the North, Back Door, Mahavishnu Orchestra and Return to Forever belonged to jazz-rock that has been regarded as a part of the zeitgeist of so-called Progressive Music as a meta genre, and hence they belonged to the rock music in general, while acts like The Tony Williams Lifetime, Miles Davis (fusion era) and Weather Report belonged to the jazz-fusion as a sub-genre of Jazz (what was a blasphemy for jazz-purists at the time).
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 04:13
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

See if you recognize anything about the soundtrack of the upcoming movie version of "Dune"

Yeah Pink Floyd's music is there but also that guy looks like Syd Barrett, isn't?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 07:05
They should get an award for most ironic rock lyric ever: "We don't need no education."   
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 07:20

I think they were progressive just like Tull (more than Tull even), KC, Yes, ELP and Genesis. I don't know what you mean by showy, being way too big does not negate their music. JTull had massively popular albums in the US and UK with TABB and APP, charting way up and in the US APP became their 2nd #1 album......So based on history here on PA, most throw out bands that are Billboard popular, have #1 albums in the US and don't give them progressive music credit because of it. Confused

PF seems to get trashed because so many claim them to be psychedelic only, but that is progressive, and also that DSOtM charted over 900 weeks on Billboard top albums list and sold more than 40 million records.......PA  does not like popularity, but that does not mean its not prog or progressive.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 10:31
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I think they were progressive just like Tull (more than Tull even), KC, Yes, ELP and Genesis. I don't know what you mean by showy, being way too big does not negate their music. JTull had massively popular albums in the US and UK with TABB and APP, charting way up and in the US APP became their 2nd #1 album......So based on history here on PA, most throw out bands that are Billboard popular, have #1 albums in the US and don't give them progressive music credit because of it. Confused

PF seems to get trashed because so many claim them to be psychedelic only, but that is progressive, and also that DSOtM charted over 900 weeks on Billboard top albums list and sold more than 40 million records.......PA  does not like popularity, but that does not mean its not prog or progressive.
As many of us stated elsewhere, over and over for years, if you were there in 1973 when DSotM was released, no one called it "psychedelic". Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix. It was so 60s -- cool still, but not in discussion with new music of the time. 

Floyd may have dragged out psychedelia further than most bands, but anyone listening to Dark Side of the Moon in 1973 fully realized that this was quite different from Ummagumma or even Meddle. This was Floyd "progressing" beyond endless psychedelic noodling. The sound, the cohesion, the concept was radically different from what Floyd previously released. This was not your older brother who returned from Nam and became a hippy's Floyd. And as I posted elsewhere reviewers of the time also noted the change from Floyd's old psych bit. They had progressed beyond pysch and this became more evident with Wish You Were Here and Animals. Anyone with a brain in his/her head can see the difference.

But to be honest, no one called it "prog" either. That's because no one referred to Floyd, Yes, Tull, Genesis, Zeppelin, Sabbath or The Who as anything but great rock bands. There were references to "hard rock" and then "glitter", but no one ever said in 1973, "Dude, pass the joint and put on some symphonic prog."

But in retrospect, as for all progressive rock bands, Floyd is prog now. Just as Tull is prog now. And Yes, Genesis, etc. It is a revisionist view of history and our need to put everything in bright shiny buckets so we can have lists of each band we drop in each bucket.

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 11 2020 at 10:42
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 11:04
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

They should get an award for most ironic rock lyric ever: "We don't need no education."   
LOL
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 11:24
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix
It's simply not true.

Amon Düül II - "Wilhelm Wilhelm" (1975)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 11:31
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix
It's simply not true.

Amon Düül II - "Wilhelm Wilhelm" (1975)

No offence, but are you trying really hard to annoy people? Confused

Edited by FatherChristmas - September 11 2020 at 11:32
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 11:39
Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Of course not, we are just discussing. This is a discussion board, isn't it? Well, If someone says untrue things out of ignorance or to substantiate their claims, it should be pointed out.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 11:44

Of course not, we are just discussing. This is a discussion board, isn't it? Well, If someone says untrue things out of ignorance or to substantiate their claims, it should be pointed out.
I just meant that by saying the Doors and Hendrix weren't at all psychedelic... you have opened a can of worms. 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:00

I just meant that by saying the Doors and Hendrix weren't at all psychedelic... you have opened a can of worms. 
Jimi Hendrix was just occasionally psychedelic. Actually, he was 'Rock' (with capital 'r' and without 'roll').
Re "The Dark Side of the Moon", I would say that from "Ummagumma" onwards, a label that seems to me as the most apropriate for describing Pink Floyd could be "psychedelic art rock". 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:04

Jimi Hendrix was just occasionally psychedelic. Actually, he was 'Rock' (with capital 'r' and without 'roll').
Re "The Dark Side of the Moon", I would say that from "Ummagumma" onwards, a label that seems to me as the most apropriate for describing Pink Floyd could be "psychedelic art rock". 
Admittedly, I wouldn't call Hendrix completely psychedelic.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:04

you sure like arguing.
you are worse than those users that call DSotM pop music. 

Edited by Cristi - September 11 2020 at 12:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>