Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd and the Great Labeling Wars of '20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:06
Who's on first?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:28
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

No offence, but are you trying really hard to annoy people? Confused
Of course not, we are just discussing. This is a discussion board, isn't it? Well, If someone says untrue things out of ignorance or to substantiate their claims, it should be pointed out.
I just meant that by saying the Doors and Hendrix weren't at all psychedelic... you have opened a can of worms. 
Jimi Hendrix was just occasionally psychedelic. Actually, he was 'Rock' (with capital 'r' and without 'roll').
Re "The Dark Side of the Moon", I would say that from "Ummagumma" onwards, a label that seems to me as the most apropriate for describing Pink Floyd could be "psychedelic art rock". 

you sure like arguing.
you are worse than those users that call DSotM pop music. 

Not arguing, just debate.

Well, I wouldn't call TDSotM "pop music", but given that I said that the label "psychedelic art rock" might be the most appropriate for their post-"Ummagumma" albums, and given that "Art Rock" is actually Pop-Rock but with a strongly expressed artistic approach, I'm not very far of it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:37
^^^ Third bass!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:38

Of course not, we are just discussing. This is a discussion board, isn't it? Well, If someone says untrue things out of ignorance or to substantiate their claims, it should be pointed out.
I just meant that by saying the Doors and Hendrix weren't at all psychedelic... you have opened a can of worms. 
Jimi Hendrix was just occasionally psychedelic. Actually, he was 'Rock' (with capital 'r' and without 'roll').
Re "The Dark Side of the Moon", I would say that from "Ummagumma" onwards, a label that seems to me as the most apropriate for describing Pink Floyd could be "psychedelic art rock". 

you sure like arguing.

Well, I wouldn't call TDSotM "pop music", but given that I said that the label "psychedelic art rock" might be the most appropriate for their post-"Ummagumma" albums, and given that "Art Rock" is actually Pop-Rock but with a strongly expressed artistic approach, I'm not very far of it.
'"Art Rock" is actually Pop-Rock but with a strongly expressed artistic approach'
Doesn't that make it art pop, then? 

"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 12:51

you sure like arguing.

'"Art Rock" is actually Pop-Rock but with a strongly expressed artistic approach'
Doesn't that make it art pop, then? 

Not exactly; Kate Bush is Art Pop...Art Rock, like 10cc, Be-Bop Deluxe or Cockney Rebel, but psychedelic, that's post-"Ummagumma" Pink Floyd.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 13:55
^Ok...
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^^^ Third bass!
Sorry, but... what are you talking about?
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 14:05
Pink Floyd were amazing... In just one song Atom Heart Mother you can see where Magma (Zeuhl 13:30 into song) , Gong and Krautrock, Jazz, Eclectic got a lot of their sounds from.  It's like you don't need any more examples, it's all captured in one song, including Progressive Rock, symphonic... and so on.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 14:08

Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Psychedelia went out with The Doors, Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix
It's simply not true.

Amon Düül II - "Wilhelm Wilhelm" (1975)

I am sure the 12 people that actually bought that album might agree with you. But even so, all the releases from Amon Düül II are varyingly listed across the internet as krautrock, space rock and progressive rock. Rather like Hawkwind, multiple designations. Your asinine need to put music into little bins is tedious. 

Sort of like one of the great psychedelic albums of all time, In the Court of the Crimson King. Which some sites list as prog. Which is silly, because prog wasn't even invented yet. LOL
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 14:09
Regardless of how they are labelled, Pink Floyd is one of my favourite rock bands, and I consider Dark Side to be one of the greatest and most accomplished pieces of music in the 20th Century.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 14:12
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Regardless of how they are labelled, Pink Floyd is one of my favourite rock bands, and I consider Dark Side to be one of the greatest and most accomplished pieces of music in the 20th Century.
Same... substitute DSotM for WYWH though...
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 14:19
I think a lot of people are not listening to their albums prior Dark Side of the Moon.  Atom Heart Mother, Meddle, Obscured by Clouds are as good as they come.  Over the years I have listened as much to Meddle as Dark Side.  Dark Side was just a commercial pinnacle for them.  In my listening ears Meddle is just as good.
The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 17:20

Same... substitute DSotM for WYWH though...

I know WYWH is more popular here, and it's a great album for sure. However, I think it is less diverse. It is more in the same mood throughout the album, and then there are "Have a Cigar" and the title track which I find somewhat underwhelming (not bad songs in any way though). "Shine On" is of course magnificent, especially with the guitar work.

DSOTM on the other hand I think is more interesting sonically, and there's a better balance between the different types of tracks (f.e. from the bluesy "Money" to the ballad "Us And Them").
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 18:00

It's simply not true.

I am sure the 12 people that actually bought that album might agree with you.
Amon Düül II commercial popularity was increasing since 1972, both in Europe and in the UK, and in 1975 they signed with Atlantic Records in the US. And no, Psychedelia wasn't "went out" with The Doors, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix.

Amon Düül II - "Flower of the Orient" (1976)

Edited by Boboulo - September 11 2020 at 18:10
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 19:26

It's simply not true.

Amon Düül II commercial popularity was increasing since 1972, both in Europe and in the UK, and in 1975 they signed with Atlantic Records in the US. And no, Psychedelia wasn't "went out" with The Doors, The Beatles, Jefferson Airplane and Hendrix.

You are funny, but only in an ironic sense. Yes, psychedelia was a dead letter by 1973. Amon Düül II had no "commercial popularity". "Commercial popularity" indicates selling more than 12 albums. Amon Düül II never charted in the States or the UK. Did not even make the top 200. They ended up disbanding. Get a clue.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 21:14
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Who's on first?

Dr. Who’s on the bench.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 21:26

<span ="tlid-translation="" translation"="" lang="en">It's simply not true.</span>
<span ="tlid-translation="" translation"="" lang="en">
</span>
</span>
<span ="tlid-translation="" translation"="" lang="en">Amon Düül II - "Wilhelm Wilhelm" (1975)</span>
</span>

You are funny, but only in an ironic sense. Yes, psychedelia was a dead letter by 1973. Amon Düül II had no "commercial popularity". "Commercial popularity" indicates selling more than 12 albums. Amon Düül II never charted in the States or the UK. Did not even make the top 200. They ended up disbanding. Get a clue.

Should this be a logical deductive question or an empirical inductive question? If a logical question, I side Boboulo. If an empirical question, I side with The Dark Elf.

By the way, what was Gong - You?

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 21:34
At RYM, the main genres that are populating the Pink Floyd page are: Progressive Rock, Art Rock, Psychedelic Rock, Rock Opera, Psychedelic Pop, Film Soundtrack.

Sounds rather eclectic to me. Hmmmm.... LOL

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Dan_Migel123 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dan_Migel123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:24
“I can chase you, and I can catch you, but there is nothing I can do to make you mine.”
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 01:26

It's simply not true.

Your point of view is sadly too Americentric. Simple as that, Psychedelia didn't go away with the Sixties.

Ash Ra Tempel - "Night Dust: Head Liner" (1974)

You can't deny that the European Psychedelia has existed through the Seventies as well.

Pop Masina - "Povratak zvezdama" (1973)

Igra Staklenih Perli (ISP) - "Dracula's Dance" (1978)

You can't deny even that the U.S. Psychedelia wasn't completely ceased in the mid-Seventies, because there were The Grateful Dead.
"Blues for Allah: Sand Castles and Glass Camels / Unusual Occurrences in the Desert" (1975)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 07:52

It's simply not true.

Your point of view is sadly too Americentric. Simple as that, Psychedelia didn't go away with the Sixties.

Ash Ra Tempel - "Night Dust: Head Liner" (1974)

You can't deny that the European Psychedelia has existed through the Seventies as well.

Pop Masina - "Povratak zvezdama" (1973)

Igra Staklenih Perli (ISP) - "Dracula's Dance" (1978)

You can't deny even that the U.S. Psychedelia wasn't completely ceased in the mid-Seventies, because there were The Grateful Dead.
"Blues for Allah: Sand Castles and Glass Camels / Unusual Occurrences in the Desert" (1975)

Your view of psychedelia, European or American is misguided. Polka bands have a following, although they, like later psychedelic bands do not feature at all in the conversation of popular music. In fact, I'll bet polka  accordionist Frankie Yankovic sold more albums worldwide than Ash Ra Tempel and Amon Düül II combined (he did, I already checked, and by several million albums and singles).

Svetonio, your provincial Yugoslavian view of music has nothing to do with worldwide musical movements. The psychedelic movement as a music force was spent by 1973; in fact, for the most part it was done by 1970-71. Huge, important acts of the time like David Bowie, Alice Cooper, Deep Purple and Pink Floyd moved on from earlier psychedelic music. The post-psychedelic era had many of the more popular bands leaving psychedelia for prog, glam or hard rock, or in the case of Can and Tangerine Dream, abandoning earlier psychedelic efforts for Krautrock. 

Even the biggest bands like The Beatles and The Stones had moved on from their psychedelic period of the mid-60s (compare Sgt. Pepper's and The White Album to Let It Be and Abbey Road, or Between the Buttons and Their Satanic Majesties Request to Beggars Banquet and Let It Bleed -- nearly completely different styles). Additionally, your view that somehow prog music was the most popular in 1975-1975, and not the factual 1971-1975 time period shows you are clueless.

As far as The Grateful Dead, they began distancing themselves from strictly psychedelia even as early as 1973's Wake of the Flood, which is an amalgam of country folk, ragtime, R&B and jazz. By 1977's Terrapin Station, the album is listed on most sites as progressive rock/jazz rock, and not psychedelic. Because it isn't.

But please, keep grasping at straws, and posting videos of Yugoslavian acts that literally no is interested in but you, Svetonio. Particularly ones like Pop Mašina, who disbanded by 1978 because no one cared.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>