Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Pink Floyd and the Great Labeling Wars of '20

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 08:57
This has truly become a labeling war

So far both sides have presented somewhat reasonable arguments
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 14:38
Let the music speak for itself.

Pink Floyd - "The Dark Side of the Moon" Live 1972 / 73

Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 14:59
Not only are Pink Floyd the pioneers of many of the genres listed under Progressive Rock, it seems they also influenced Progressive Reggae (tongue in cheek) Tongue  Here is Dub Side of the Moon:

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 16:37
A simple way to answer this question is by trying to place an album like DSotM alongside other albums of it's time. Can it be placed alongside other hit albums like Hotel California, Frampton Comes Alive, Born To Run or Rumors? If it doesn't sit alongside those albums comfortably, why? My take is that there's too many experimental or avant garde elements mixed with it's standard rock song formats. Rendering the album outside of the standard rock format and placing only where it really could fit: progressive rock.

Edited by SteveG - September 14 2020 at 05:06
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 23:54
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

A simple way to answer this question is by trying to place an album like DSotM alongside other albums of it's time. Can it be placed alongside other hit albums like Hotel California, Frampton Comes Alive, Born To Run or Rumors?If it doesn't sit alongside those albums confortably, why?
Can a country-rock album such "Hotel California" be put down "comfortably" alongside those 'Rock' albums you mentioned? If one is a genre purist, no.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 00:01
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

A simple way to answer this question is by trying to place an album like DSotM alongside other albums of it's time. Can it be placed alongside other hit albums like Hotel California, Frampton Comes Alive, Born To Run or Rumors?If it doesn't sit alongside those albums confortably, why?
Can a country-rock album such "Hotel California" be put down "comfortably" alongside those 'Rock' albums you mentioned? If one is a genre purist, no.

In what world does Hotel California not sit comfortably next to Rumors and Born To Run? So it has a little country influence, so what? It also has the title track, Life In The Fast Lane, and Victim Of Love which are really about as far from country as the Eagles ever got.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 00:33
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

In what world does Hotel California not sit comfortably next to Rumors and Born To Run? So it has a little country influence, so what? It also has the title track, Life In The Fast Lane, and Victim Of Love which are really about as far from country as the Eagles ever got.
If you can "comfortably" to listening to a country-rock album such "Hotel California", you're not a 'Rock' purist, or vice versa. And If you are not a genre purist, you'll love "Hotel California" and "Born to Run" as well as "The Dark Side of the Moon" which is also, regardless its "psychedelic" nature, just another 70's commercial album that was created for the masses as a pleasant music to listen to.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:07

Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

If you can "comfortably" to listening to a country-rock album such "Hotel California", you're not a 'Rock' purist, or vice versa. And If you are not a genre purist, you'll love "Hotel California" and "Born to Run" as well as "The Dark Side of the Moon" which is also, regardless its "psychedelic" nature, just another 70's commercial album that was created for the masses as a pleasant music to listen to.

what's a rock purist? The way it sounds, it just singles narrow-mindedness. DSotM commercial? A friend of mine was telling me she used to break up parties by playing it. I told her she wouldn't have got rid of me this way. LOL

Commercial has such a negative connotation, people use it to say that something is bad. 

Steve answered his own question to make a point. I think you missed it. 

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:15
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

DSotM commercial?
Of course, especially if you compare TDSotM with, for example, Fripp & Eno "(No Pussyfooting)" the album released the same year.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:19

DSotM commercial?
Of course, especially if you compare TDSotM with, for example, Fripp & Eno "(No Pussyfooting)" the album released the same year.

Commercial is a derogatory term that Pink Floyd does not deserve. 
Comparing DSotM with an inaccessible album like No Pussyfooting is just wrong. Apples and oranges. 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:36

DSotM commercial?

Comparing DSotM with an inaccessible album like No Pussyfooting is just wrong. Apples and oranges. 
SteveG already put "apples and oranges" (i.e. "Hotel California" and "Born to Run") in his post as an attempt to prove that TDSotM is an "experimental" album, which it is but just a little and strictly within the given framework of a commercial album such as TDSotM has been carefully created to be.
I took "(No Pussyfooting)" as an example, maybe it's extreme, okay, here I replace it with "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", also released in 1973, and what? Can LTiA be as much a "comfortable" album for the masses as TDSotM? Of course not.

Edited by Boboulo - September 14 2020 at 01:37
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:46

DSotM commercial?

SteveG already put "apples and oranges" (i.e. "Hotel California" and "Born to Run") in his post as an attempt to prove that TDSotM is an "experimental" album, which it is but just a little and strictly within the given framework of a commercial album such as TDSotM has been carefully created to be.
I took "(No Pussyfooting)" as an example, maybe it's extreme, okay, here I replace it with "Larks' Tongues in Aspic", also released in 1973, and what? Can LTiA be as much a "comfortable" album for the masses as TDSotM? Of course not.

I don't think DSotM is a comfortable album, i don't play it when I have friends over LOL
Maybe DSotM is not a difficult listen, but commercial it is not. 

I also think whoever listens to Eagles, also listens to some Bruce Sprigsteen, but not Pink Floyd. 
I always find it annoying how many times I heard Floyd and DSotM referred to as stoner music. It can't get more belittling than that. Confused
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:51
@Boboulo
Svetonio, why do you show your location as Europe, can't you be more specific............Like Serbia?? When is your "Definitive Guide To My Twisted Views On Progressive Music" book going to be released? 
What you should explain to everyone is how you were trashing this site and its members/admins on Hoffman Forums because PA lists Miles Davis KoB on the PA Top Albums.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:57

Of course it is. And not only that TDSotM is (great) commercial album, especially if you compare it to any "progressive rock" album released the same year or earlier, but it's also commercial compared to all Pink Floyd's previous and later albums; in fact, only "The Wall" is even more commercial than “The Dark Side of the Moon”.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 01:59

Of course it is. And not only that TDSotM is (great) commercial album, especially if you compare it to any "progressive rock" album released the same year or earlier, but it's also commercial compared to all Pink Floyd's previous and later albums; in fact, only "The Wall" is even more commercial than “The Dark Side of the Moon”.

...Looks like someone had more than a Momentary Lapse of Reason
The most dangerous man in America.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 02:00
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 02:12
Originally posted by Scorpius Scorpius wrote:

...Looks like someone had more than a Momentary Lapse of Reason
I didn't even consider their 80's albums.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 02:15

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 02:31
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"What is Prog?"

This!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 05:12

DSotM commercial?

And this type of reasoning is the crux of the problem. We as prog fans naturally compare DSotM with the more outre prog albums that we like, such as LTiA or Hot Rats, which puts DSotM into a very commercial view. But that doesn't detract from the fact that a bizarre instrumental like "On The Run" is experimental, or that the wordless "Great Gig In The Sky" is avant garde. Commerciality has nothing to do with genre.

Edited by SteveG - September 14 2020 at 05:13
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>