Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Barclay James Harvest vs The Enid

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
19 [50.00%]
10 [26.32%]
2 [5.26%]
2 [5.26%]
3 [7.89%]
1 [2.63%]
1 [2.63%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Barclay James Harvest vs The Enid
    Posted: September 09 2020 at 18:41
Sometimes I get accused of having bands who sound nothing like each other and shouldn't go up against each other. Hopefully that won't be the case here especially since there is a connection. 

Anyway, which band do you prefer? Being that these are both relatively lesser known bands I added more options than I usually do(which is saying something). 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 09 2020 at 18:42
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 19:32
BJH is hardly lesser known, though they are definitely frequently mocked and unappreciated here.  Enid leaves me cold, while BJH was one of the first serious bands I got into in the mid 70s
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 19:45
Enid 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 19:54
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

BJH is hardly lesser known, though they are definitely frequently mocked and unappreciated here.  Enid leaves me cold, while BJH was one of the first serious bands I got into in the mid 70s

Compared to the usual suspects as well as Gentle Giant, Focus, Renaissance, Nektar, Camel, VDGG, Magma, etc they are. I would put them just below Strawbs and Eloy in popularity.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 20:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Compared to the usual suspects as well as Gentle Giant, Focus, Renaissance, Nektar, Camel, VDGG, Magma, etc they are. I would put them just below Strawbs and Eloy in popularity.

BJH never made much of a dent in the US but had a fair bit of UK success and absolutely MASSIVE success in Germany for some reason.  The album "Gone to Earth" was on the German charts for literally years.  Internationally overall they are better known than Strawbs, but Strawbs had more North American success (similar to Gentle Giant as I mentioned) and much more Canadian success, though obviously that's a relatively small market.   It's hard for me to gauge Eloy's success, but it was considerable in Germany, with several chart albums, and a variety of other countries, minimal in NA.   Anyway thanks for including BJH in a poll!  The first song that I heard by them was "Child on the Universe" in the radio in about 1975.  I always wondered if Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" (the song) was influenced by that BJH track, but I think they came out at about the same time.  To me there are some similarities

Edited by kenethlevine - September 09 2020 at 20:35
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 09 2020 at 22:43

BJH never made much of a dent in the US but had a fair bit of UK success and absolutely MASSIVE success in Germany for some reason.  The album "Gone to Earth" was on the German charts for literally years.  Internationally overall they are better known than Strawbs, but Strawbs had more North American success (similar to Gentle Giant as I mentioned) and much more Canadian success, though obviously that's a relatively small market.   It's hard for me to gauge Eloy's success, but it was considerable in Germany, with several chart albums, and a variety of other countries, minimal in NA.   Anyway thanks for including BJH in a poll!  The first song that I heard by them was "Child on the Universe" in the radio in about 1975.  I always wondered if Supertramp's "Crime of the Century" (the song) was influenced by that BJH track, but I think they came out at about the same time.  To me there are some similarities

Yes, they were pretty huge in Germany at one point(as was Eloy) and probably other parts of Europe too. I suppose I'm judging them from a US perspective as far as over all popularity goes but also based on what I see and how often they are mentioned and rated in prog circles after spending much time online on prog related sites. I'm not saying they weren't important just that they don't even seem to pop up that much when second tier bands are listed. Also, not that it means much but I've never heard them on the radio not even college or independent radio. Maybe once or twice on deep tracks on satellite radio but that's about it. I still maintain that they are relatively lesser known with the key word being relatively. Again, compared to other prog bands mentioned on here(such as those that would make the big ten) is what I meant by that.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 09 2020 at 22:45
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 03:43
Probably BJH. I always loved them. They wrote some great things. They were very popular in Portugal at the time. They deserve to be better known.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 03:47
I'be not heard much BJH, but based on what I have heard I prefer The Enid.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 05:07
I know only BJH
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 05:47
BJH.
Both are good listens, though.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:33

It's hard for me to gauge Eloy's success, but it was considerable in Germany, with several chart albums, and a variety of other countries, minimal in NA.

I'm fairly certain Eloy was Germany's #1 rock band at some point during the '70s. I think they even beat the Scorpions in album sales one year.
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grantman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:47
No one band can be compared the band who wrote MOCKINGBIRD.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:47
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

It's hard for me to gauge Eloy's success, but it was considerable in Germany, with several chart albums, and a variety of other countries, minimal in NA.

I'm fairly certain Eloy was Germany's #1 rock band at some point during the '70s. I think they even beat the Scorpions in album sales one year.

In the early 80's too. 

I remember I had a friend who had a housemate who was in the military and stationed in Germany at one point. This was an american guy. I remember seeing his cassette tapes and they were all the typical usual well known rock stuff except for one and that was Eloy. None of the othe stuff was prog either. I think that right there says something. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 10 2020 at 10:48
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 10:53
Barclay James Harvest 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 13:50

In the early 80's too. 

I remember I had a friend who had a housemate who was in the military and stationed in Germany at one point. This was an american guy. I remember seeing his cassette tapes and they were all the typical usual well known rock stuff except for one and that was Eloy. None of the othe stuff was prog either. I think that right there says something. 

according to the German charts, the biggest Eloy album was "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes".  "Colours" and "Time to Turn" were also big, so most of their chart success was actually in the 1980s.  Perhaps "Ocean" was the one that helped the group hit the bigtime though
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 14:10

In the early 80's too. 

according to the German charts, the biggest Eloy album was "Silent Cries and Mighty Echoes".  "Colours" and "Time to Turn" were also big, so most of their chart success was actually in the 1980s.  Perhaps "Ocean" was the one that helped the group hit the bigtime though

Interesting. I thought "Planets" was their biggest album. As a prog fan I don't equate commercial success with quality and I hope you don't either. ;)

Also, could you post a link to these charts you speak of. I would like to see it for myself.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - September 10 2020 at 14:12
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 20:06

In the early 80's too. 

Interesting. I thought "Planets" was their biggest album. As a prog fan I don't equate commercial success with quality and I hope you don't either. ;)

Also, could you post a link to these charts you speak of. I would like to see it for myself.

agreed, except when I love an album and it was commercially successful...this is so rare that I always point it out.  LOL Strangely enough, with Colours and Time to Turn both charting for some time, it's hard to undertsand how Planets didn't chart being as it was in between them, but it could be that it sold reasonably well over a long period.  

I'm not sure this link will show the Eloy albums but it lets you do a search.  I also copied and pasted the results up to Time to Turn.  After that album most of their albums charted only briefly.  Silent Cries hit the highest spot while Colours was in the chart for the longest.  It's clear that Ocean was their breakthrough.  

https://www.offiziellecharts.de/suche

9EloyTime to turn05/17/1982Weeks: 10 Peak: 38
10EloyColors06/30/1980Weeks: 17 Peak: 28
11EloySilent Cries And Mighty Echoes02/26/1979Weeks: 14 Peak: 17
12Eloylive08/01/1978Weeks: 1 peak: 35
13EloyOcean02/01/1978Weeks: 7 Peak: 28

rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 20:10
I can't say that I am super familiar with either band, but I have heard a number of albums from both.  My vote goes for the Poor Man's Moody Blues.   I'm really not sure why they weren't bigger here in the US.

Edited by rushfan4 - September 10 2020 at 20:10
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 10 2020 at 21:26
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

I can't say that I am super familiar with either band, but I have heard a number of albums from both.  My vote goes for the Poor Man's Moody Blues.   I'm really not sure why they weren't bigger here in the US.

The American rock press was quite open about their disdain for melodically oriented British rock, almost like they didn't understand it.    If an American group had done what BJH did they would havce been hailed as brilliant by the same press, though.  This negative bias certainly didn't help the cause of BJH
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2020 at 00:48
OMG BJH beating The Enid Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>