Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

This Place is a Zoo #1

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Which of these songs about zoo animals is your favorite?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [2.86%]
4 [11.43%]
7 [20.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
2 [5.71%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
5 [14.29%]
0 [0.00%]
8 [22.86%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
1 [2.86%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: This Place is a Zoo #1
    Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:03
Time to get outside and make a trip to the progressive zoo.  Which of these songs is your favorite?

Edited by rushfan4 - May 15 2021 at 21:06
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 22:26
Das Machine 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:01
To try something new, I have created a YouTube playlist of all of these songs if this makes it easier for people to listen to the songs.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:20
Jethro Tull, "Bungle in the Jungle."
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2020 at 23:32
I deliberately tried to avoid big name bands.  Hence no Elephant Talk by King Crimson or Main Monkey Business by Rush or When The Tigers Broke Free by Pink Floyd.  I threw in Jethro Tull's Sea Lion since it is from one of their later albums, and unlike Bungle in the Jungle is not on a greatest hits compilation (which also doesn't have an actual animal name in the title so doesn't qualify for the poll anyways).  I also threw in Wot Gorilla because it always seems to fall on the hated Genesis song list, so I'm curious to see how many votes it gets.  

Edited by rushfan4 - September 12 2020 at 23:42
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 03:26
I like Wot Gorilla, but Hibou is hard to beat
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 04:43
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

To try something new, I have created a YouTube playlist of all of these songs if this makes it easier for people to listen to the songs.

Very useful, thanks! Thumbs Up

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:01
So, I have been listening to the playlist (while watching the Tour de France stage at the same time...) and it was quite a nice listen in general, despite the fact that I skipped some of the tracks. Looking at the first votes, I'm afraid there's some pavlovian voting going on: we vote for the bands we know without listening to the others. That's a pity.

I very much like Genesis' Wot Gorilla, Ozric Tentacles and Big Big Train, but I knew them before, so they were not surprising me.
For me there are three good surprises of bands that I didn't know before: First, The Lounge Lizards, great musicality and great fun; second the Ultraviolet Hippotamus - a great song too. But my vote goes to Tiger Moth Tales. He has the advantage of a 15 minute-track in which he can put many things, but overall this song stood out for me. So, the Tigers get my vote in this Zoo.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:02
I could have easily picked one I was familiar with. Not this time.

Mirthkon is superb! Reminds me of Bubblemath.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sadly they are no moreCry. Their mainman, Wally Scharold, moved to Italy a few years ago (his wife is Italian). We were lucky to catch them live at Orion Studios a few years ago - a fantastic double act with their fellow Oaklanders MoeTar (with which they shared keyboardist Matt Lebofsky). MoeTar also split up a couple of years ago.

Hard not to vote for the fabulous Ut Gret, but I'd like to listen to the other tracks before making a decision. Thanks for a great pollClap!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:12
Pain of Salvation - Panther
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:37

Thanks! I am amazed at how few of these songs I have heard
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 07:58
Wot Gorilla
Welcome to the middle of the film.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 08:59
Originally posted by judahbenkenobi judahbenkenobi wrote:

That is the fun of creating a poll like this for me.  In this poll, all of these songs are in my collection, but I am really only familiar with a handful of them.  Many of them I've probably only listened to a couple of times and probably then just as a casual listen to the album without individual focus on this particular song.  Highlights for me are the songs from Ut Gret, Gran Torino, Ulraviolet Hippopotamus, Mirthkon, and The Lounge Lizards.  "The moral of the story is to feed the fever and starve the yak". 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 09:07

That is the fun of creating a poll like this for me.  In this poll, all of these songs are in my collection, but I am really only familiar with a handful of them.  Many of them I've probably only listened to a couple of times and probably then just as a casual listen to the album without individual focus on this particular song.  Highlights for me are the songs from Ut Gret, Gran Torino, Ulraviolet Hippopotamus, Mirthkon, and The Lounge Lizards.  "The moral of the story is to feed the fever and starve the yak". 

surprised, in a good way, to see Kumm in the list. They were great. Out of the ashes of Kumm came out Byron. I enjoy them more than Kumm. Check them out (if you haven't already). 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 09:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

surprised, in a good way, to see Kumm in the list. They were great. Out of the ashes of Kumm came out Byron. I enjoy them more than Kumm. Check them out (if you haven't already). 
I think it was one of the older members from Romania that introduced me to Kumm and byron.  I just finished listening through my K albums so I had just recently heard the Kumm and Kundalini songs.  I like both of them but in a sense they weren't highlights for me since I had recently heard them.  I am pretty easygoing with my musical tastes and pretty much like everything in this list.  There are probably songs that others would think are duds but I think this made a pretty strong playlist.  I listened through it last night and quite enjoyed it.  It kept me occupied and entertained for 2 hours.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 11:53
Sealion.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 13 2020 at 19:02
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Sadly they are no moreCry. Their mainman, Wally Scharold, moved to Italy a few years ago (his wife is Italian). We were lucky to catch them live at Orion Studios a few years ago - a fantastic double act with their fellow Oaklanders MoeTar (with which they shared keyboardist Matt Lebofsky). MoeTar also split up a couple of years ago.

Hard not to vote for the fabulous Ut Gret, but I'd like to listen to the other tracks before making a decision. Thanks for a great pollClap!
I don't think that I knew that either of those bands had broke up, but I see that Snacks was from 2013, so it has been 7 years since anything new.  I also wasn't aware of the Final Four from MoeTar, which was released in 2018.  I will have to check that out on BandCamp.
judahbenkenobi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote judahbenkenobi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 19:11
Heard all except Soft Machine because the video was not available. Sealion was the only one I'd heard before. I have to admit it was a difficult choice between Tiger Moth Tales, Ut Gret, Mastodon, and Kundalini.

Went for Tiger
King of Loss View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King of Loss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 14 2020 at 22:09
Soft Machine!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>