0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 22:03
First listen takes and thoughts.....I am amongst the eldest of the group here, so please forgive my prior knowledge of a lot of the sixties music.  Plus, I actually was the psychedelic music buyer for a used record store south of San Francisco in the early 80's.  Still, there have been surprises, and I'm sure more will happen.  

The Sixties under 7

Lorenzo:  Gino Paoli “Sassi”  So beautiful and sad, the melody is just gorgeous. Lush and lovely production.   First one out of the box is setting the bar very high! Such depth in this piece.  It’s going to be hard to beat this one.   Spirit “Silky Sam”  One of my favourite bands of the 60’s.  They were the second billing of the first big concert I went to in 1970.  I had the pleasure of working with them later during the 1980s.  This LP and song are wonderful and so innovative.  Neil Young and Crazy Horse “Running Dry”  Another huge favourite of mine, just love him, especially with Crazy Horse.  This is a sad and haunting song.  You’re pulling out all of my favourites with the ones I know…the very creative and funny Bonzo Doo Dah Band “My Pink Half of the Drainpipe”  Just so silly and fun.  Wonderful start to this poll!

Cristi:  Bliss “Cry For Love”  Wow!  Stumped me, never heard this before.  Do you know anything about them?  Kind of heavy/psych/blues sound.  Pretty raw sound, like some of the rough-edged guitar work, lots of energy. Sometimes sounds a little like “Time of the Season,” to me, but then it changes from that. The Doors “Who Scared You” I know it’s out of competition anyway, but thanks for bringing it to attention for those who may not have heard it before.  Eric Burdon & the Animals “Hotel Hell”  I remember this, particularly the whole LP, and have a great love for “San Franciscan Nights.”  Eric Burdon, one of the coolest vocalists ever.  Nice horns in the production here.  The Byrds “Ballad of Easy Rider”  The Byrds were a staple in my home, growing up.  This is such a lovely song.  Has that pretty 60’s production (of course), very representative of the time.  Great choice.  Phoenix “Floarea stancilor”  Never heard this before, either.  Wistful, sad sound to this song…is it a folk song that they covered?  Just has that feel to me about it.  I got the lyrics translated, which made me wonder about the folk possibility, or maybe they just wrote it in a folk style.  You done good.

Greg:  Love “A House Is Not A Motel”  from one of my ever-Top-10-Recordings-Of-All-Time.  Just a fantastic piece, transitioning them from garage to something utterly different, they still take forays into the garage, but go back to the lobby. Arthur Lee, just a fantastic vocalist.  Fine LA psych rock.  Excellent choice!  The United States of America “The American Metaphysical Circus”  More LA music, this time going off in an experimental jaunt.  So very 60’s psych, breaking all the rules.  Donovan “Catch The Wind” One of the most beautiful and perfect love songs ever written.  Donovan wrote some really great songs, didn’t he?  This one is one of the gems.  The Band “Chest Fever”  I remember hearing this when my sisters brought it home.  That organ lead-in is just iconic.  You have excellent taste in music.  😊

I prophesy disaster:  Russell Morris “The Real Thing”  Never heard of him, probably because Australian?  Music was so much more regionally exposed in those days.  Nice voice, interesting choral backup in a pop/psych style.  I would imagine this could have been a bigger hit, had he been from US or Europe.  Kind of almost reminiscent of The Monkees with a little more edge, maybe a Tommy James type.  Followed by “Part Three Into Paper Walls,” This continues on and becomes a bit more contemplative than the first part.  Quite long pieces, also for the type of music.  Remarkable entries.

The Anders:  Steppeulvene “Til Nashet”  Kind of a bluesy sound here, actually reminds me a little of Jethro Tull’s “This Was,” kind of sound.  Young Flowers - "Oppe i træet"  I agree, a little much on the wah-wah, but they were all learning, then.  Definitely very psych feeling.   

"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:47
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Cristi:  Bliss “Cry For Love”  Wow!  Stumped me, never heard this before.  Do you know anything about them?  Kind of heavy/psych/blues sound.  Pretty raw sound, like some of the rough-edged guitar work, lots of energy. Sometimes sounds a little like “Time of the Season,” to me, but then it changes from that. The Doors “Who Scared You” I know it’s out of competition anyway, but thanks for bringing it to attention for those who may not have heard it before.  Eric Burdon & the Animals “Hotel Hell”  I remember this, particularly the whole LP, and have a great love for “San Franciscan Nights.”  Eric Burdon, one of the coolest vocalists ever.  Nice horns in the production here.  The Byrds “Ballad of Easy Rider”  The Byrds were a staple in my home, growing up.  This is such a lovely song.  Has that pretty 60’s production (of course), very representative of the time.  Great choice.  Phoenix “Floarea stancilor”  Never heard this before, either.  Wistful, sad sound to this song…is it a folk song that they covered?  Just has that feel to me about it.  I got the lyrics translated, which made me wonder about the folk possibility, or maybe they just wrote it in a folk style.  You done good.

Bliss is an American short lived band, blues-psyche sound of late 60s, two album, I only heard the debut, just read their second album, released much later is songs from the sessions of the debut, not used, maybe they were working on a second album but it was not released in 1969. The two albums are on youtube if you are curious. 

I thought of posting San Franciscan Nights LOL They got so many great songs... 

Floarea Stancilor is an original song, not a cover. It's from 1968. The music is described (so not my words) as "beat". Well, obviously they were influenced by the Beatles, but obviously it's also 60s psychedelia. The band got in trouble back then for playing covers, for instance Beatles (Lady Madonna), Easybeats (Friday on My Mind). Bands singing in English was forbidden soon after and funny thing bands just made their own lyrics, usually a close translation and tricked the system. LOL Also another 1968 song of their was banned (subtle lyrics of a bird in a cage thinking it can fly, but only to smash its wings in the cage bars, gee, I wonder what's the song about LOL). 

Phoenix are on PA for their 70s prog-folk work, they incorporated elements of Romanian folklore into their music, it was ambitious and well crafted. But in the 60s, they were influenced by the Beat, British Invasion sound, definitely, but I will say they were good songwriters, even in their early line-ups. 

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 04:53

so please forgive my prior knowledge of a lot of the sixties music.  

It's like a scientist saying "forgive me my competence". LOL

Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 08:16
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

so please forgive my prior knowledge of a lot of the sixties music.  

It's like a scientist saying "forgive me my competence". LOL

LOL  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 08:20
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Bliss is an American short lived band, blues-psyche sound of late 60s, two album, I only heard the debut, just read their second album, released much later is songs from the sessions of the debut, not used, maybe they were working on a second album but it was not released in 1969. The two albums are on youtube if you are curious. 

Floarea Stancilor is an original song, not a cover. It's from 1968. The music is described (so not my words) as "beat". Well, obviously they were influenced by the Beatles, but obviously it's also 60s psychedelia. The band got in trouble back then for playing covers, for instance Beatles (Lady Madonna), Easybeats (Friday on My Mind). Bands singing in English was forbidden soon after and funny thing bands just made their own lyrics, usually a close translation and tricked the system. LOL Also another 1968 song of their was banned (subtle lyrics of a bird in a cage thinking it can fly, but only to smash its wings in the cage bars, gee, I wonder what's the song about LOL). 

Phoenix are on PA for their 70s prog-folk work, they incorporated elements of Romanian folklore into their music, it was ambitious and well crafted. But in the 60s, they were influenced by the Beat, British Invasion sound, definitely, but I will say they were good songwriters, even in their early line-ups. 

It's funny how some people show such finesse so early in life (thinking your description of Phoenix being such good songwriters early on).  Probably helped that they re-worked songs to get around the system.  And also how some bands came out of the gate, like Bliss, with a lot of promise and then suddenly are shelved (probably a record company thing).  
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 08:29

It's funny how some people show such finesse so early in life (thinking your description of Phoenix being such good songwriters early on).  Probably helped that they re-worked songs to get around the system.  And also how some bands came out of the gate, like Bliss, with a lot of promise and then suddenly are shelved (probably a record company thing).  

Yeah, bands had to trick the system. I don't know of Phoenix doing any cover songs, but other bands did.
I wanted to show you a couple of examples, but they are not on youtube unfortunately. 

Edited by Cristi - September 16 2020 at 08:38
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 15:56
Notes on the Sixties, Continued:

Micky:  Right you are (music before ’67), I decided to theme mine on psych, but did think about British Invasion, Merseybeat, Motown etc.  The Mar-Keys “Last Night” Completely forgot about this great tune, Micky!  Thanks for putting it back on my radar.  You can hear shades of Sir Douglas to come with this one.  Freddy Cannon “Palisades Park”  Remember this one well, too.  This would have been more my sister’s influence in the house, the Mar-Keys would have been from my mom spinning the platters (also, spinning The Platters, one of her favourite groups).  Fun upbeat music, this.  Reminds me of watching Lloyd Thaxton and Hullabaloo on tv.  King Curtis “Soul Twist”  Here’s more of my mom’s music…we all loved all of it, but she would have brought this one to our attention.  Barbara Lewis “Hello Stranger” What a smooth beautiful voice she had.  Yeah, miss those radio days, too.  The Dave Clark Five, “Any Way You Want It”  This would be my sister’s choice…and by now we were also playing local LA bands like Love and The Seeds with our British Invasion music.  The Marvelettes “Don’t Mess With Bill”  A huge hit, I can remember seeing these ladies making the rounds of TV variety shows, this is where my mom’s edumacating us about music and my sister’s ears tuned to the hits really merged.  Thank you for the walk down memory lane.  😊

Lewian: Delia Derbyshire “Pot Au Feu” I’m either gonna really love what you bring forth, or I might not quite get it, but whatever, always interested to hear what you are bringing to these polls.  In this case, not sure it’s love, but it’s certainly very intriguing.  Minimalist and experimental.  Definitely an attention-grabber, in wondering what is coming next in it.

suitkees:   It’s A Beautiful Day “Bulgaria”  And a fine San Francisco psychedelic classic you picked here.  😊  Great piece, a precursor to progressive music.  Here, as in my choice of HP Lovecraft’s “The White Ship,” you have the very slow pacing and hypnotic side of psych.  Henry & Colombier “Too Fortiche”  Here is something completely different from your last.  Here some electronic buggy stuff with electric guitar zipping along underneath, with a lot of fuzz.  Tom Dissevelt “Intersection”  More electronic dibbling and dabbling about.  I like the sort of scary orchestral hit stuff that goes on about a minute in.  It’s actually very sound-tracky to my ear, for a sci fi or horror film.  Then gets kinda sixties jazzy with horns.  John Coltrane “Sun Star” Here is what I think of, when I think of jazz of a certain style.  He just epitomizes I here.  Wife, Alice Coltrane, played the harp, an interesting side note. 

Someone_else:  Velvet Undergroud & Nico “All Tomorrow” A completely different sound from what was happening elsewhere in 1967, it foresaw what was going to happen quite a few years later…The Buffalo Springfield “Broken Arrow”  I once used this song as a backdrop for an article in my junior high school newspaper about various emotions and how they can be described in imagery.  A favourite of all time.Sweeney’s Men “Dreams for Me” Here we have some nicely done folk-type acoustic music.  I hear some echoes of early Donovan and Bert Jansch here, prettily done, nice fingerpicking on guitar.  The Fugs “CIA Man”  This one crawled into my hand, honest!  JK.  The Fugs shared a record label (Reprise) with my favourite psych/folk guy, Tom Rapp and his Pearls Before Swine band, he had some funny stories about them (as one could no doubt imagine)….Now on to the CIA Man (and a different record)…They were so irreverent and funny.  No wonder they had a cult following.  No one else quite like them.

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 16:11

My impressions:

My favorite is Bliss -Cry for Love. A great psychedelic blues song-jam with a nice electric guitar solo. 

Then I really like the Animals ballad, which have a picturesque arrangement with that almost mariachi trumpet. 

The last song is also good, combining beat with psychedelia and has an excellent instrumental interlude. 

The Doors song is discreet, with great work on the drums, certainly a better song than Touch Me, the single of that year. 

Nice but I'm not crazy about the ballad of Easy Rider by the Byrds: I actually like the more folk version of Roger McGuinn's guitar and vocals (without strings) that ended up on the soundtrack of the film.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 16:29
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

My impressions:

Donovan's song from the title is reminiscent of Dylan, it's a nice folk but really very similar to Dylan. I know that there is an anecdote about the only meeting between Donovan and Dylan, when Dylan came to England I think in 1966 and it is that Donovan played him one of his songs, I don't know if it was Catch the Wind, and Dylan said: but this it's mine! because it looked a lot like his, and it seems that the evening was not very pleasant. Of Catch the Wind I know that Donovan after the single version made a different version for his first album, slightly longer, and a 5 minute version for his greatest hits. This 5-minute version is the first I've listened to, many years ago, and I liked it a lot, and so every time I listen to the two-minute long single I'm disappointed. 

The USA's song is weird, a little crazy and a little experimental, it's certainly interesting.

The Love song, taken from their masterpiece album, is a classic song for the time, that intense rockblues song that I really like and I think is my favorite. 

Chest fever is a song with a nice psychedelic organ in the background that when it feels good makes it improve. It's nice too, with a very strange bridge..... a contender of Love song but if I had to choose I'd chosse Love.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 04:53
I've been really enjoying the playlist as well as reading the comments. Even if some of you think some submissions are well-known, most are new to me. It was actually the first time I heard Love and Velvet Underground. I knew the importance of their music but never bothered checking out. Coming from Krautrock, the influence of Velvet Underground on the genre is undeniable.

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Hope you enjoy the excursions !
Great trip! Cool That Pierre Henry song didn't age well, like all that kind of music that used synthesizers for the novelty factor. The experimental music of Tom Dissevelt still sounds great though.

Here's another one that hopefully fulfills all the criteria - I love it, it's not listed on PA, and not all of you know it. That may be wrong though... the full album file has a few million views on youtube to my surprise. Anyway, nice and subtle guitar stuff by Gabor Szabo.
I've seen that cover before but never heard it. It sounds incredibly fresh, maybe it's that kind of trip-hop beat. it's easy to understand why it has so many views.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 06:28
I have too much work stuff these days, so only manage to listen to the long playlist while doing other things, which of course isn't the best basis to write about it. From listening like this I got the impression that this is a very varied and interesting list. At the same time I realise that I'm not "at home" in these years; some standard sixties approaches, my ears just don't chime with some things that were normal at the time.

Anyway, Italians first... "Sassi" is a good example how much it can help when a real fan and expert introduces a song. It's actually marvellous, still I don't know whether it would have made in impression had I heard this by accident without Lorenzo's introduction. About Nomadi I find hilarious the way particularly the singer behaves in the video. He looks more like talking some distanced comments on something than singing. The song has a very strong message and the music is good, maybe not top 3 good in the end. Can't make that much sense of Equipe 84.

I know a number of these... Doors, Donovan, US of A, Byrds, Velvet Underground... which are fine but of course the new things attract my attention more.

Spirit... peccato! I don't like the Sha-la-la part, which is a pity because the rest is excellent. "My Pink Half of the Drainpipe"- big fun, always welcome.
"Running Dry"- I love some Neil Young but didn't know this one. Somewhat strange selection in my view, I'd have gone for something else from his work. Phoenix - I like the piano on that one. Like the Spirit song a bit ruined by the refrain. "Love - A House is not a Motel": Very good stuff, together with Sassi the best up to here. In the old days one could get away with such an incredibly dynamic mix, pity that this will get any sound engineer into jail these days. "Chest Fever"- another wonderful arrangement and mix, just the voice is not for me. The Marvelletes - not normally my cup of tea such stuff, but this is quite enjoyable.
It's A Beautiful Day - I have seen this cover hundreds of times, but I'm not sure I have ever heard that album. Surely a highlight of the list. Actually suitkees would have four candidates for top three in the race, I love all of these. Henry & Colombier very surprising, sounds much ahead of its time. Intersection - you know I fall for such stuff. Coltrane is of course also great but the video doesn't work here; I heard an alternative version that may be quite different from what you nominated there.

Through about half of them now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 12:51
Thoughts on Sixties under 7, Part 3.  Starting with a couple of additions from Lewian:

Lewian: Gabor Szabo  “Galatea’s Guitar”  Here’s another really love it!  But I know it.  I actually have seen Gabor Szabo, way back in the early 1970’s in a little club.  Amazing performance.  Anyway, really inventive piece here, the whole LP is just in a class by itself.  Petula Clark “Downtown”  Great, iconic 60’s pop songstress.  Just a great song….One of those rare upbeat ones that I like.  Right up there with “To Sir With Love” (Lulu).  

Raff:  Nomadi “Noi  non ci saremo”  Very Byrds-esque, as far as the production and jangly sound. Less complex harmonies than The Byrds.  Still, very nostalgic sound to this for me.  Equipe 84 “29 September” Another very iconic 60’s kind of sound to this, along with a news report, so much have been a big event?  Very cool bass that guy is playing!  And now to another iconic piece, “Fotheringay,” by Fairport Convention.  Huge fan of the band and Sandy Denny and Richard Thompson.  This is just lovely, of course.  An absolutely wonderful song by CSN&Y, of course.  I also am enamoured of the Jefferson Airplane version of it.  A collaborative piece by David Crosby, Steven Stills and Paul Kantner.  I honestly love each version, equally.  An apocalyptic vision of the future, boiling it all down to what is really important and what could still be the fate of the human race.

Mike:  Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatra  “My Elusive Dreams”  I didn’t know that I knew this song before I opened the video, but I actually do.  A really nice country take for Nancy Sinatra, really and very much the Nashville sound of the time.   The Moving Sidewalks “You Don’t Know the Life”  That heavy, bluesy Texas sound with a sprinkling of psych.  Great soulful singer.  The Steve Miller Band “Dime-a-Dance Romance”  This is much more rocky than your previous two.  Not as much of a fan of the Steve Miller kind of sound as some of the other psych-era bands, though.  The Hollywood Persuaders “Grunion Run”  Being a big Zappa fan, I have heard this before!  Already such a talented guitarist.  You’ve probably seen the video of his on The Tonight Show, playing the bicycle….he’s a much better guitarist than “bicyclist,”athough it was a great novelty. 

George:  Kyu Sakamoto “Sukiyaki”  I remember this well, however, I didn’t know the story about the real lyrics.  It’s a very pretty melody, no wonder it was a big hit.  The Count Five “Psychotic Reaction”   Garage at it’s finest here! I really am fond of garage music, remembering it’s sheer energy and experimentation.  Nice representative choice! Ken Nordine “Olive”  Now over into 60’s hip-jazz.  Makes me think of 60’s films Hollywood party scenes, I could certainly hear this in one of those films.  Staccato keys and spoken vocals here.  The Stooges “1969”  Another iconic band…I actually have seen Iggy Pop in his peanut-butter days. Great pick here.  You did a great job picking out a wide variety representing the era. 

Samuel:  Carlos Paredes “Variacoes em re maior”  Here he is playing a Portuguese guitar, which has resonating strings, hence the unusual sound.  Really excellent sound, I am not so sure I like this piece, as it’s “happier” than most music I like, but I have been made curious to check out others of his work to see if he’s got a minor key one on that very cool instrument. Edited to add:  I looked up this recording and found a piece I really love on it, Cancao Verdes Anos.  Just beautiful. 

dr wu23:  The Sonics “Strychnine”  Great garage piece!  Such a lot of dark, rockin’ energy with these garage bands.  The Electric Prunes “I Had Too Much To Dream Last Night”  One of those phrases I actually use from time to time!  Here on American Bandstand. Autoharp!  Great early psych song, as things started to change from more garage to more difficult songs.  Paul Revere & The Raiders “Just Like Me”  Here’s pop, but kinda more cool than straight pop, with the sort of garage-y lead, kind of Mod look with their costuming.  Bringing their English humour to the performance, too.  What a fun band they were.  Good, too!  Always enjoy what you bring to these polls, we know a lot of the same music.

Edited by Snicolette - September 17 2020 at 13:42
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:18
And here on the rest. I came in for the second half with Buffalo Springfield, very inventive fascinating piece, much better in my view than the Neil Young proposal earlier. Same holds for the CSNY song, works quite well for me. Very relaxed but still catchy. I know quite a bit of their stuff, but don't remember this one. I also love the Fairport Convention song, so raff, this time the Italians are not on top for me among yours.
"Balloon Burning" - nice surprise; I didn't expect much from the beginning of the song, but it developed into quite something.  The Ars Nova song interestingly has a similar characteristic; didn't like it in the beginning, but the longer it went, the more I got into it, and it left me with this "I want more" feeling. Probably in the end even better than Pretty Things. I had to look a bit around for a H.P.Lovecraft video that would play for me, but it's clearly number 3 of those you suggested, Nicky.
Kyu Sakamoto - I have heard this before. I actually didn't know I like it, but now more consciously listened to as one of the suggestions here... it's very charming, impossible not to like. "Olive" is another fun one, although I wouldn't pick it in my top 3.
Carlo Paredes, best of the instrumental class, I'd say. I surely like this but don't know how it'd finally compare to the best of the rest.
The Sonics - not really my cup of tea, but I can't help realising how punk this is, so early! Talk Talk belongs to the "good song ruined by vocals that don't do it for me" crowd. The winners of dr. wu's bunch are surely the Electric Prunes, truly exciting rock music.

Edited by Lewian - September 17 2020 at 14:19
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:18

Mike:  Lee Hazelwood & Nancy Sinatra  “My Elusive Dreams”  I didn’t know that I knew this song before I opened the video, but I actually do.  A really nice country take for Nancy Sinatra, really and very much the Nashville sound of the time.   The Moving Sidewalks “You Don’t Know the Life”  That heavy, bluesy Texas sound with a sprinkling of psych.  Great soulful singer.  The Steve Miller Band “Dime-a-Dance Romance”  This is much more rocky than your previous two.  Not as much of a fan of the Steve Miller kind of sound as some of the other psych-era bands, though.  The Hollywood Persuaders “Grunion Run”  Being a big Zappa fan, I have heard this before!  Already such a talented guitarist.  You’ve probably seen the video of his on The Tonight Show, playing the bicycle….he’s a much better guitarist than “bicyclist,”athough it was a great novelty. 

Thanks again for the comments Nickie.  I was actually going to post the Hazelwood/Sinatra track "Some Velvet Morning" which would have probably felt  more at home on this thread, but for some reason changed my mind at the last minute.  I actually just discovered The Moving Sidewalks about a month ago and really like their style.  The SMB track is a favorite of mine, but their old tracks have a history with me in that they introduced me to the psychedelic sound.  They might not be the first choice of most people as being the best way to introduce listeners to that sound, but it worked for me.  Plus I thought it was a cool trivia tidbit about Boz Scaggs and Steve Miller actually going to high school together and having their own band at that time too.  I'm glad he let Boz sing a few tracks back then in the SMB.  And finally, yes I did watch the Zappa bicycle hijinx on Carson a while back.  The thing about Zappa is that he was always looking for something new and luckily he could always fall back on his humor if it didn't quite work out.  Needless to say, though, he was a genius.

Edited by TCat - September 17 2020 at 14:19

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:21
My third and final nomination is Povl Dissing - "Honningland" (Honeyland, 1969)

(I couldn't access a YouTube link for this one, except for a more recent live performance, but I am sure there is an accessible one for people outside Denmark)

The song is from the 1969 album "Dissing", better known as "Nøgne øjne" (Naked eyes) which was its working title. It is the fruit of a collaboration between the folk-blues-rock-pop-vise-etc. singer Povl Dissing, the blues rock band The Beefeaters, the folk artist Benny Holst, and the lyricist Laus Bengtsson.

Povl Dissing is a living legend in Denmark and surely one of the most original artists to come out of the 60's. He has a status somewhat close to that of Cornelis Vreeswijk in Sweden.

Edited by The Anders - September 17 2020 at 15:05
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:21

Lewian: Gabor Szabo  “Galatea’s Guitar”  Here’s another really love it!  But I know it.  I actually have seen Gabor Szabo, way back in the early 1970’s in a little club.  Amazing performance.  Anyway, really inventive piece here, the whole LP is just in a class by itself. 

I have forgotten how I 've come across this album, but it struck me as something really unique. I'd have loved to see him live - but he wasn't "big" by any means, or was he? (I still have to get over his 5.4M views.)
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 14:27
I am hoping to find time to comment on everything up to this point if I can find some time tonight or tomorrow.  I'm definitely sorry that I haven't been able to do this much lately, but at least I am trying to hear it all and there is once again some great stuff here.  Thanks everyone!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 15:08

"Balloon Burning" - nice surprise; I didn't expect much from the beginning of the song, but it developed into quite something.  The Ars Nova song interestingly has a similar characteristic; didn't like it in the beginning, but the longer it went, the more I got into it, and it left me with this "I want more" feeling. Probably in the end even better than Pretty Things. I had to look a bit around for a H.P.Lovecraft video that would play for me, but it's clearly number 3 of those you suggested, Nicky.
From additional post re Gabor Szabo:  
I have forgotten how I 've come across this album, but it struck me as something really unique. I'd have loved to see him live - but he wasn't "big" by any means, or was he? (I still have to get over his 5.4M views

That SF Sorrow LP is pretty much considered a psychedelic masterpiece, much contention over whether it was deliberately held back for The Who to release "Tommy," to be credited with having the first "rock opera."  Iwould not put it past record execs, but I am not sure of the true and correct story.  I struggled over which song to use, there are several, but this one has that great guitar solo in it.  
Ars Nova had 2 LPs, they are both a bit uneven, but there are plenty of songs to enjoy on both of them.   They were classically trained and decided, doubtless because of their age, to try their hands at rock.  On the first one, there are very pretty "entractes" between many of the songs.  
HP Lovecraft were from Chicago, more classical background with them, as well as folk and this first LP is one of my favourites, and a jewel in my rare psych collection.  Truly the same for Ars Nova's output and SF Sorrow, I have the diecut "tombstone" jacket version.
Gabor Szabo lived in Los Angeles and played many small jazz clubs there during those years.  He has a devoted following, I believe, especially for this LP.

Edited by Snicolette - September 17 2020 at 15:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 15:20
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Thanks again for the comments Nickie.  I was actually going to post the Hazelwood/Sinatra track "Some Velvet Morning" which would have probably felt  more at home on this thread, but for some reason changed my mind at the last minute.  I actually just discovered The Moving Sidewalks about a month ago and really like their style.  The SMB track is a favorite of mine, but their old tracks have a history with me in that they introduced me to the psychedelic sound.  They might not be the first choice of most people as being the best way to introduce listeners to that sound, but it worked for me.  Plus I thought it was a cool trivia tidbit about Boz Scaggs and Steve Miller actually going to high school together and having their own band at that time too.  I'm glad he let Boz sing a few tracks back then in the SMB.  And finally, yes I did watch the Zappa bicycle hijinx on Carson a while back.  The thing about Zappa is that he was always looking for something new and luckily he could always fall back on his humor if it didn't quite work out.  Needless to say, though, he was a genius.
I remember the "Some Velvet Morning," song as well.  I had a friend who lived across the road from my great aunt's place in Fort Bragg (CA, north of Mendocino), where I spent every summer until about 1971.  Her father was a retired rodeo rider, and they listened to a lot of country music.  I brought them The Beatles, lol!  I am actually still in touch with her, after all these years.  It was a very idealistic time, spent on horseback over those summer days, before it became a tourist hotspot.
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 04:41
Listened to a part of the playlist a couple of days ago and listening to it now again. Will comment later, but I have a question for Lorenzo: What struck me about Sassi by Gino Paoli is that I vaguely remembered it from a film, is that possible? But probably in a more acoustic guitar based arrangement of the song, although I may be mistaken about that (maybe a cover by someone else?). Anyway it is not unfamiliar to me, but not much more than vaguely familiar...

Edit: Bliss's Cry for Love, this is a clear case of plagiary, but who picked from who? Bliss from the Zombies, or the Zombies from Bliss? (Back then, they probably couldn't care less...)

Edited by suitkees - September 18 2020 at 04:51

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>