Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Is “djent” really a sub-genre of progressive metal
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is “djent” really a sub-genre of progressive metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:20
Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I don't blame Meshuggah. I blame the scene that adopted their style as if it has anything to offer "progression" to the genre. Nonsensical variations going nowhere... or going somewhere on a malfunctioning vehicle. It is like a broken watch ticking randomly. It should be the easiest thing for a programmer to make a "random djent song generator". I absolutely see zero quality in it. It can just be used as a small transition, or an element in some songs. Building the entire song on this nonsense? Biggest nonsense ever!!!
Soooo, you don't like it right?Tongue
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:27
Ahahahaha, I wouldn't care if it were less dominant on the prog metal scene. Honestly, I wouldn't give a f**k.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 17:50
Of all those djentzy guys, David Maxic Micic is my favourite.

"Someone Else's Hat" (2017)

Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 15 2020 at 23:58
Djent, as a way of playing the guitar, can also be applied to heavy music other than Progressive metal. So check out this David Maxic Micic' side-project, because it's indeed very pleasant and enjoyable stuff:

Destiny Potato - "LUN" (2014)

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 00:00
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Djent is a style of guitar playing, not a sub-genre of Progressive metal.

Correct!

Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

Originally posted by progtime1234567 progtime1234567 wrote:

I personally believe that djent is not a genre but rather a style of guitar playing used in some progressive metal music. People will call it a genre but the real genre would be progressive metal. 

I don’t think a style of playing can be considered a genre of music. It’s like calling palm muting a genre.

Exactly!

Hello, you're correct. I've been involved directly with bands of all metal sub genres since 2005, producing, recording, mixing, playing live, etc. It's amazing how metal evolves but djent is a misnomer for metalcore using lower tunings on 8+ string guitars, with the focus primarily on the low G or B or WTF it's tuned to lol.

Originally posted by Shadowyzard Shadowyzard wrote:

I don't blame Meshuggah. I blame the scene that adopted their style as if it has anything to offer "progression" to the genre. Nonsensical variations going nowhere... or going somewhere on a malfunctioning vehicle. It is like a broken watch ticking randomly. It should be the easiest thing for a programmer to make a "random djent song generator". I absolutely see zero quality in it. It can just be used as a small transition, or an element in some songs. Building the entire song on this nonsense? Biggest nonsense ever!!!

Gorguts Obscura decimated anything MEshuggah released IMHO.

Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

Yes, it absolutely is. Proof of this is the fact that you can identify several bands with that are distinctly different from other bands in the genre and can also loop them together on account of that difference. Its like a group by clause in SQL server. For example, Tesseract, Animals as Leaders, and Periphery are distinctly different from their symphonic or tech death predecessors AND are similar to each other on account of that difference. 

You wanna know what's not a genre? Freaking GRUNGE. Sure maybe Alice in Chains and Soundgarden formed an "alternative" form of metal to the dominant hair scene, but Nirvana is a punk band and PEarl Jam is alternative rock through and through. The only reason GRUNGE gets a genre label is due to their all being from Seatle and being incestuous with sharing band members. 

"Animals as Leaders are an American instrumental progressive metal band from Washington, D.C. "

"Tesseract (often stylized as TesseracT) are an English progressive metal band from Milton Keynes, England."

Djent is an onomatopoeia, that't it. Your rant about grunge doesn't make your first point anymore accurate. 

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - September 16 2020 at 00:06

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Deadwing View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Deadwing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 01:15
It's more like 2010's metal aesthetics, like what NuMetal was in the 2000's.

There are a sh*t ton of bands that uses that particular style of guitar playing, so for me its a genre indeed
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 01:29
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 04:22
^ LOL

I actually didn't know what "djent" was, now I know. This is exactly what I don't like in modern prog/prog metal, so now I can put a name on it thanks to the readings from the Oxford dictionnary! Bam-bukah sucks. LOL

Edited by suitkees - September 16 2020 at 04:24

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 05:48
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

^ LOL

I actually didn't know what "djent" was, now I know. This is exactly what I don't like in modern prog/prog metal, so now I can put a name on it thanks to the readings from the Oxford dictionnary! Bam-bukah sucks. LOL

there are too many djent bands out there, true, but a few of them are quite good. 
Homotopy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homotopy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:09
Originally posted by ssmarcus ssmarcus wrote:

Yes, it absolutely is. Proof of this is the fact that you can identify several bands with that are distinctly different from other bands in the genre and can also loop them together on account of that difference. Its like a group by clause in SQL server. For example, Tesseract, Animals as Leaders, and Periphery are distinctly different from their symphonic or tech death predecessors AND are similar to each other on account of that difference.

That's a good approach. Seeing that a band is "djent" one can make a fairly good guess as to what it is going to sound like, and that guess won't be limited to the guitar playing technique the band espouses. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 06:16
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

That's a good one!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12