12 [48.00%]
1 [4.00%]
6 [24.00%]
2 [8.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Some Continental Europe's Prog Rock Epics
    Posted: September 16 2020 at 02:40
Progressive rock began in England and spread throughout Europe. It remains a more or less popular genre in Europe, especially in Italy of which we can say that is a "country of Prog". As I am a huge fan of Prog Rock from Europe, who thinks that European Prog heritage is so amazing that stands next to English Progressive rock giants, here are some of '10min plus' epic songs by European bands. Which song you prefer? I clicked on Indexi as it is a very early "sympho-rock" epic (sadly never remastered)  - very cleverly composed with some dreamlike parts and a sublime guitar solo - but it really can be any of these wonderful epic songs.

Indexi - "Negdje na kraju u zatisju" (1969)

Ange - "Caricatures" (1972)

Premiata Forneria Marconi - "L'Isola di niente" (1974)

Korni Grupa - "Not An Ordinary Life" (1974)

Goblin - "Goblin" (1976)

Island - "Herold and King (Dloreh)" (1977)

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 02:54
I laughed at the thread title. Sorry... EmbarrassedLOL

Goblin out of these. 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 03:19
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Did I screwed up with English? Shocked
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 03:22
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Did I screwed up with English? Shocked

no
very geographical, I don't know, felt funny. I giggled. 
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 07:38
Not sure Italians would agree that Italy is "a country of prog"--especially as the window of prog dabblers really only lasted about five years before everybody went back to making pop music. What say you, James Baldwin, Andrea Cortese, Raffaella Berry, and you other Italian PA collaborators?

Anyway, love L'Isola de niente above the others.   
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 10:09
PFM from this list.
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 11:43
for me is a tie between PFM and Goblin.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 11:59
GOBLIN
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 16 2020 at 14:49
Island
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 00:58
Very, very few things would bias me against a PFM choice on a poll.

PFM!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:27
Korni Grupa in some parts Kornelyans  was an excellent band from Yugoslavia back then, releasing their top album Not an ordinary life. My vote, because will get none from others, and is really good
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 01:28
their second album from 1974, their debut was aswell strong
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 02:52
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

Korni Grupa in some parts Kornelyans  was an excellent band from Yugoslavia back then, releasing their top album Not an ordinary life. My vote, because will get none from others, and is really good
A live version - and sung in Serbian  - of "Not An Ordinary Life" from their one-off "come-back" concert in Belgrade, 2019.

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 10:45
Originally posted by BrufordFreak BrufordFreak wrote:

Not sure Italians would agree that Italy is "a country of prog"--especially as the window of prog dabblers really only lasted about five years before everybody went back to making pop music. What say you, James Baldwin, Andrea Cortese, Raffaella Berry, and you other Italian PA collaborators?

I was just thinking the same thing, there was good stuff come out of Italy but it seems it vanished or the bands disbanded or learned how to cook and became chefs or something....IDK. I picture many of them laughing at the thought of Italy being a country epicenter of prog. 

For some reason I have been giggling a lot on some of these recent threads....Smile

I like Goblin

Edited by Catcher10 - September 17 2020 at 11:06
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 11:43

Well, Italy is one of the countries where prog has never completely gone out of fashion. It is true that many of the protagonists of the "first wave" became successful pop musicians when that window closed, and some stopped making music altogether. However, there are quite a few of those protagonists that have continued making music in the progressive vein to this day, and a number of those classic bands have reformed in recent times. The "big three" have all released excellent prog albums in the past 10 years, even after big lineup changes. I don't believe the same could be said of many classic English-speaking bands. And then, of course, there are the modern bands. Two weeks ago, at Virtual ProgDay, the Italian band that was part of the lineup, MadFellaz, played a two-hour set for four different streaming services.

On a purely personal note, I'd be grateful not to have to read jokes about becoming chefs. As hard as it can be for Americans to believe it, people in Italy do a lot of other things besides cooking and thinking about food.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 11:58
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

On a purely personal note, I'd be grateful not to have to read jokes about becoming chefs. As hard as it can be for Americans to believe it, people in Italy do a lot of other things besides cooking and thinking about food.
You've never met my nonna, Raff.

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 17 2020 at 12:10
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

I'm not American and have Italian in my heritage.....I love to cook and eat and would more than be happy to have become a chef.
My father was an excellent cook.....and that's no joke.
 Post Reply Post Reply