Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Interactive Pool of Tears: The Crying Game edition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Poll Question: Weep hard, for you must only choose three.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
3 [6.52%]
4 [8.70%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
5 [10.87%]
3 [6.52%]
2 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [6.52%]
5 [10.87%]
1 [2.17%]
6 [13.04%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 04:43
Thanks for the comments, Nickie.

I'm hoping that I can put the poll up by Friday at the latest, so please be thinking about your final nominations. There haven't been as many people involved in this as in others, which is probably a good thing because that wave of depression could turn into a tsunami of despair and plunge the whole world into darkness.

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:56
Ok, I'm going to finish off the rest of the entries quickly, just go ahead and add your own sad emoticons or use your imagination and imagine 5 of the most depressing emoticons that your mind can conjure up.

Dr. wu - I already know two of your entries quite well, John Prine's amazing "Sam Stone" and Neil Young's excellent "The Old Laughing Lady".  I'm not a big fan of Jackson Browne, though I admire his lyrics.  However, I surprised myself by really enjoying The Walker Brothers song.  It was vaguely familiar, but I love this style.

Mathman - "Dead Puppies" provides a little bit of black humor amid the gloom and despair of these tracks.  Thanks again for your YT list!!!!

Lewain - I love Bjork's music, but I hadn't seen this excellent video.  I'm going to have to take time to watch the entire film.  I find most videos tend to distract from the music, but this one enhances it quite well.  Great entry!

suitkees - Again, a bit more comedy relief that helps shed a light in all of this darkness.

Logan - That video is perfect for that track.  Just like on Lewian's Bjork entry, the video enhances the music.

Here is a great example of what a video can do for a song.  Hearing the lyrics by themselves might make the song sound humorous (except the last verse), but the video brings out the true meaning.  This is not an official music video for the track, however, it very well could be.

Okay, now I'm sad that its all over with now.  Cry 

Gloom, despair and agony on me.

Edited by TCat - September 24 2020 at 09:04

jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:20
I'm listening to the playlist.

I write my first impressions:

Songs 1 - 4 (Logan).

Nick Cave's song is definitely my favorite, it's amazing. But haven't we already voted it in one of the first polls? The other three don't appeal to me, but maybe Winter is Blue is the best.

Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake.

Songs 14-15

Wonderful female vocals. My fave is Walls.

Songs 16-17-18-19-20
Max Richter: is it classical music? or a soundtrack?
Anyway, I like very much Donw in A Hole and Something by Nirvana.

"Happiness is real only when shared"
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:27
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; this one, from the artists' own channel, does...

Lorenzo wrote:  
"Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake"

Lorenzo, try the link that worked for Kees, it might work for you.  It doesn't work for me so I can't determine if it's the same track or not, but I will assume it is.

Edited by TCat - September 24 2020 at 13:30

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 14:50
^ Lorenzo, I nominated Nick Drake for "Fruit Tree" in Nickie-not-Drake's male singer/songwriter poll, and so hadn't planned to nominate it this round but I still wanted to mention it again because it fits this topic so very well for me.

While Vashti's "Winter is Blue" and Cat Stevens' "Trouble" are my favourites not Drake that I have posted in this topic. I might not nominate the Vashti simply because I've mentioned it in many topics over the years, but maybe I will anyway. Cat Stevens "Trouble was one of my three mentions in Nickie's poll despite choosing the Drake over it. Not sure who I will nominate yet. Probably go with Sufjan Stevens' "Death with Dignity".

Edited by Logan - September 24 2020 at 15:16
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 15:34
Tough choice for me...but I'll nominate my Neil Young track,,,The Old laughing Lady....I really like his early albums.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 16:04
One poll a week is fast for me in a regular working week... could once more not really listen to things in a properly concentrated manner but had them playing... unfortunately this particularly means that most lyrics pass me by. Highlight number 1: Tenhi - Surunotta. This one really hit me. Also very good: Crosby, Stills and Nash, Anna von Hauswolff, Susanne Sundfor, Nirvana; some of the best are also some that I know already: Nick Drake, Sufjan Stevens (I had an own nomination from that album), Tracy Chapman, Max Richter, Jeux Interdits, Joy Division.
Somehow in the second half there's quite a bit of stuff that comes over as rather funny... anyway, not much to write, just some information for those who wonder which one to nominate.   

Edited by Lewian - September 25 2020 at 09:01
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 17:55
Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@TCat: Your Band of Horses vid didn't work for me; this one, from the artists' own channel, does...

Lorenzo wrote:  
"Songs 5-9 (TCat)

I Cant listen to Heartbreak on n the 101. Considering the other four, my fave is surely The Lake"

Lorenzo, try the link that worked for Kees, it might work for you.  It doesn't work for me so I can't determine if it's the same track or not, but I will assume it is.

Yes, this one works. Good song but not so sad. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:05

Among the songs I already knew are two that I love:

Cohen's The Famous Blue Raincot and

Cale's Broken Bird

then, very good but I'm not passionate,

- Trouble, by Cat Stevens

- For a Dancer, by Jackson Browne
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:14
Hi,

A couple of items/thoughts on these things ... 

One More Chance - Fairport Convention sung by Sandy Denny, and the remastered album has a piano version that is even more haunting. The album version appears to be a tribute to her. I always feel like ... she didn't get another chance!

Battered Ornaments/Pete Brown - My Love is Gone Far Away ... a song about the love has gone away with some incredible guitar work. Chris Spedding on guitar!

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:34
And finishing up to current entries, I dread the ending!  Starting with some additions from people and moving on to the rest:

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame?  Bjork “Dancer in the Dark”  I have actually not seen or heard this.  I normally do not really like her, but I found this very moving with the video as well and the storyline.  Maybe I should revisit her since I haven’t heard her for a long time.  

Mike additions:  East of Eden “Jig-a-Jig”  I like this, reminds me of when Alan Stivell adds electric instruments.  I know the tune, but can’t think of the one it’s based off of, they can sound a bit similar and I don’t play them on harp, since I can’t play that fast.  Still fun and thanks for lightening the mood for a few minutes!  Primus “Too Many Puppies”  Oh, Lord, I’m glad I entered a funny one about dogs (see George comments).  

Logan additions:  Merriman Weir “Gallows Man”  Here, a bawdy tune, another break from all of the the sadness. Antony & The Johnsons Not sure which the song title is here, but I love Antony’s voice.  

George addition:  Ogden Edsl “Dead Puppies”  Very sad!  I love dogs, but this is funny, although in very bad taste.  I did think of a funny/sad song, also featuring dogs.  This is Mason Williams’ “The Prince’s Panties.” 

suitkees:  Aimee Mann “One” Here she is covering the big hit written by Harry Nilsson, which was made famous by Three Dog Night.  This is a very different take on the song, Harry Nilsson was a fine writer and Aimee is a fine singer. Completely made this one her own instead of a female Three Dog Night version.  Narcisco Ypes “Romance” I know this piece, so can’t vote for it by my rules.  But it is just gorgeous and a favourite of mine.  Very mournful and so beautifully and articulately played.  It’s a tune sometimes performed by harpists much more accomplished than I am.  Michael Nyman “Memorial” This one is more strident than the last. A march, with strings very to the fore and some sort of honking something that shows up about 5 minutes in.  I much prefer Ypes.  But that’s just me.  Arvo Part “Spiegel im Spiegel  This is more my style.  Very beautiful strings and piano to the fore, lovely haunting melody.  André van Duin  “Als je huilt”  Just tragical!  :D

The Anders:  Sebastian “De gra katte”  More of an electronic feel here.  Because of the cats, I can’t help but think of the saddest cat of all time, Henri, who I adore.  There are some cat sounds in this too, very inventive.  This is perhaps a bit more anger blended into the sadness, which is perfectly legitimate.  Builds to a nice crescendo of frustration.

dr Wu23: As you probably know by now, we have lived through the same eras, so I know of all of these.  Definitely all wonderful tunes, so thank you for bringing them to those who may not.  “The Sun Ain’t Gonna Shine Anymore”   Love Scott Walker and this tune.  Given the kind of treatment that you would hear with The Righteous Brothers, this is a wonderful classic torch song.  Neil Young “The Old Laughing Lady”  I adore his solo music, too, love the women’s backing vocals so much in this one.  And, as always, a master storyteller.  John Prine “Sam Stone”   This is probably my favourite John Prine LP.  Jackson Browne “For A Dancer”  Close ties to him, with David Lindley playing guitar (and many other instruments) for the band for so many years, and here, he’s playing fiddle.  Also had a housemate who had dated him (JB) for a time back in the early 80’s.  Very pretty ballad by a talented songwriter, ended up with kind of a bad reputation, however. 

Edited by Snicolette - September 24 2020 at 19:26
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:12
I'm going to nominate Antony &  the Johnsons - "The Lake".  This one seems to have gotten the best reactions over all, plus it is a singer/songwriter that doesn't get enough deserved attention.

Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:18
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Lewian additions:  Foyer des Arts "Koennten Bienen Fliegen"  This one is very quiet, it sounds almost like a lullaby to my ears, without looking at the lyrics.  There is a fluttery sax sound and some washes behind picked guitar.  The lyrics seem a bit abstract to me (which, they probably are supposed to be).  A song to me of what life should be and isn’t, and is god to blame? 

This is quite interesting, because to me it seemed crystal clear that this is a song about a person, probably a friend, who committed suicide, and the inability to help through communication, probably because this person wouldn't talk (verse 4), maybe in a situation in which love was not reciprocated or only pretended (verse 3). But talking for people, one should think, is so natural, like bees flying, horses gallopping etc.!

Now I'm writing this not to tell you that you are wrong, but rather to say that this makes me realise how different people are and interpretations can be. Because I was never 100% sure whether my interpretation is really true (I don't know the background story), and sometimes I asked myself (1) whether I'm actually right about this, but also (2) whether my doubts should embarrass me because it is maybe so clear to everyone else that I shouldn't even have doubts? 

So I like a lot that you come up with another interpretation, showing me that one can really understand this in a different way. Intuitively I'm pretty sure that I'm right, also from the singing, however I have no idea how reliable that is. (Of course the problem may be my translation, but I don't think so - I may not have transmitted the brilliance of Goldt's words, however the literal meaning of the words, maybe without the odd allusion, should come over. Obviously I had my interpretation in mind when translating this.)

PS: Maybe the issue is not so much the translation as it is, but rather that if it's your native language, you can make much more sense also of how the singer emphasises specific words.

I only became aware listening to it for the second time, having already this interpretation in mind, how painful the singing and the sax actually are.

Edited by Lewian - September 25 2020 at 09:32
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 09:24
I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:36
I didn't get past the first page this week, there's a lot of tough music to listen to.
Glad to see Anna von Hausswolff, I thought about her but didn't know which song to pick.
As for my nomination, both tracks seemed well received judging by your comments, which makes it difficult to choose. I'll go with Weyes Blood, I'm sure there will be another occasion for Susanne in a future poll.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:58

I'm surprised this one didn't get on someone's list.  I thought for sure that it would.  Yeah, it might be a bit sappy, but it was a big hit in the states, even when every one found out it was a song about Carl Wilson's (The Beach Boys) dog.  Dog/Pet lovers will need a box of tissue especially if you watch the video.

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Don't encourage people to post sickeningly saccharine melodrama. You might end up with something like...

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 11:59
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Henry Gross - "Shannon"

Don't encourage people to post sickeningly saccharine melodrama. You might end up with something like...

Oh, dear!  I remember it well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 12:06
This week has seemed regrettably short.  I did get a once-through on everything, though.  I think I'm going to go with my fourth addition this time, it's kind of different and it seems as though not everyone has heard it before, which, being more contemporary, kind of surprised me.  So, "All The Wild Horses," by Ray LaMontagne.  Although I think all of mine (outside of "The Prince's Panties,") are quite fitting, it saddens me enormously to have to choose just one from the lot.  I thank everyone for their entries, and am offering up a virtual box of tissues in a drearily shaded box of grey and black, for us to pass around.  CryCryCry 

Edited by Snicolette - September 25 2020 at 12:06
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:23
Thanks for all your reactions so far. I am going to nominate "Surunuotta" by Tenhi because this is melancholy  raised to the highest level.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 25 2020 at 13:31
I choose 

Nick Cave and The Bad Seeds: Far From Me (live)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>