Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Nine inch nails

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progtime1234567 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Nine inch nails
    Posted: September 22 2020 at 20:35
I love Nine inch Nails but I was just wondering why they are considered Crossover Prog.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2020 at 20:50
Originally posted by progtime1234567 progtime1234567 wrote:

I love Nine inch Nails but I was just wondering why they are considered Crossover Prog.

Not sure actually. I know Trent Reznor is a fan of Adrian Belew. Also, when I spoke to Steven Wilson I remember him telling me that Trent was an influence of his (along with Radiohead). 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 02:02

what subgenre would you have him in?

Edited by Cristi - September 23 2020 at 02:03
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:06

They are pretty much an industrial rock band, I never got what they do on the website.
But as the descriptions of progressive rock vary from person to person, the boundaries are quite blurred, so probably some people here decided that NIN are indeed prog... Which is perfectly fine, I guess
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:15
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

They are pretty much an industrial rock band, I never got what they do on the website.
But as the descriptions of progressive rock vary from person to person, the boundaries are quite blurred, so probably some people here decided that NIN are indeed prog... Which is perfectly fine, I guess

the OP does not question why NIN are on the site, or if they are progressive, but why are they under crossover prog. 
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:21
Yeah, which genre would you rather place them in?

Industrial rock/pop is not an alternative on PA, where I would probably lump them. Here's the definition on PA:

Quote Crossover Prog definitionCrossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music-- whether it be the lack of emphasis on extended compositions, or an influence from mainstream music in addition to classical, jazz and folk. Compositions, however, still exhibit a high degree of sophistication, sometimes outright complexity, and the musicianship and virtuosity is often on a par with established Prog acts. Much like their kin in the established prog sub-genres, these groups will incorporate many major parts of what defines prog rock: the fusing of rock with the structures and discipline of more traditional musics, the use of syntheisizers and new technologies, intelligent thematics, and the expansion of the form.

The defining characteristics of Crossover Prog are a pop music influence that is largely vacant in typical prog rock. Songs tend toward shorter, more concise presentations though still reach beyond the typical verse, bridge, chorus pattern. The harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic structures may be more easily digested in Crossover while not losing the musical integrity that a prog listener expects. Whereas Prog Related bands are generally commercial groups with certain prog elements or players that were involved in prog acts, Crossover Prog artists are predominantly progressive with elements of popular music.

The most representative examples for this genre include The MOODY BLUES, SUPERTRAMP, DREDG, CINEMA SHOW, RADIOHEAD.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 03:31
Originally posted by Zeph Zeph wrote:

Yeah, which genre would you rather place them in?

Industrial rock/pop is not an alternative on PA, where I would probably lump them. Here's the definition on PA:

Quote Crossover Prog definitionCrossover Prog contains progressive rock music that, though 100% progressive, may have a musical connection to popular music-- whether it be the lack of emphasis on extended compositions, or an influence from mainstream music in addition to classical, jazz and folk. Compositions, however, still exhibit a high degree of sophistication, sometimes outright complexity, and the musicianship and virtuosity is often on a par with established Prog acts. Much like their kin in the established prog sub-genres, these groups will incorporate many major parts of what defines prog rock: the fusing of rock with the structures and discipline of more traditional musics, the use of syntheisizers and new technologies, intelligent thematics, and the expansion of the form.

The defining characteristics of Crossover Prog are a pop music influence that is largely vacant in typical prog rock. Songs tend toward shorter, more concise presentations though still reach beyond the typical verse, bridge, chorus pattern. The harmonic, melodic, and rhythmic structures may be more easily digested in Crossover while not losing the musical integrity that a prog listener expects. Whereas Prog Related bands are generally commercial groups with certain prog elements or players that were involved in prog acts, Crossover Prog artists are predominantly progressive with elements of popular music.

The most representative examples for this genre include The MOODY BLUES, SUPERTRAMP, DREDG, CINEMA SHOW, RADIOHEAD.

Crossover prog is a good fit for NIN for the website's sake. But if it was up to me, I would not have them on here.Smile
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:06
Crossover prog is a good fit for NIN for the website's sake. But if it was up to me, I would not have them on here.Smile
That is of course one option and the discussions about which artists should be included and not will never end.

The music which can be put into "prog rock" and possibly verging close enough to be included is so diverse that it's a nightmare trying to make any kind of rules that works. PA seems to be including rather than excluding for bands on the verge, and I'm not completely against that. The biggest issue with it is which genre to use.

Another issue is that once an artist has produced an album that is deemed prog, the entire catalogue is put in, and everything in the same genre. I'm more opposed to that system than too many bands being entered.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:25
I gather at some point this conversation is going to lead to other bands that are more proggy than NIN being excluded from here. Oops, did I just type that out loud?? Wink
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:43
well bands like ToTo are far more progressive and they didn't make the cut on progarchives so the answer is a definite NO ! Embarrassed

Edited by Enchant X - September 23 2020 at 04:44
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 04:44
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

well bands like ToTo are far more progressive so the answer is a definite NO ! Embarrassed

No to what? 
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:28
I have no clue why. Not bad music, but not really prog in any sense, at leat not to me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 05:51
Yeah, I always throw on some NIN after listening to Relayer. Not.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 06:19
I like NIN, but had not considered them to be a prog band. But, since they are included on PA, crossover seems appropriate. 

Since I don't want to bother with starting another thread, I've wondered about Oingo Boingo's inclusion as crossover prog as well.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 07:13
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Yeah, I always throw on some NIN after listening to Relayer. Not.

LOL
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 08:06
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

I have no clue why. Not bad music, but not really prog in any sense, at leat not to me.
They are not prog in any way and should not be in crossover or any other genre. They should not be on here. If Toto aren't here, hundreds of bands that are here should not be.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:03
NIN sounds like Prog to me. But what do I know? I think XTC is Prog too...
The Prog Corner
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 09:21
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

They are not prog in any way and should not be in crossover or any other genre. They should not be on here. If Toto aren't here, hundreds of bands that are here should not be.

...word....
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2020 at 18:15
I think outside The Downward Spiral and The Fragile they're a bit hit and miss (with some very worthy hits), but with those two albums they fully deserve to be a considered a great band.

They're probably more "prog-related" than "Crossover prog", but I'm not sure about the difference really. Why is Iron Maiden or Queen considered prog-related and Radiohead crossover prog and not vice-versa. Or why is Mike Oldfield crossover when he was basically 100% as prog as you can get. 

Anyway, tags are pretty irrelevant but they're really good at their best. Johhny Cash's version of Hurt is fantastic but the bleakness and darkness of the original are unmatched. 

PD: Toto are AOR, like Foreigner, Boston, Journey, etc. If that's prog then everything is prog.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 00:28
I think that Nine Inch Nails are in database due to the fact that here the Progressive rock is a "spirit", not a genre. Thus, in "Crossover prog" section one can find almost everything, from the 70's Art Rock bands like Supertramp and Electric Light Orchestra to contemporary Alt.Rock bands that are "proggy".
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>