Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Does The Term "Technical" Mean to You?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 08:38
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I could assume that that is Paul The Stealth Jihadist in the back of that truck, but the one with the pot with vegetables on the head would be more stealthy.
A "Technical" is the vehicle of choice whenever a Jihadi needs to take a trip down to the grocery store in downtown Timbuktu. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 24 2020 at 10:27
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 09:25
when I think of technical I think live music---you can make anything sound perfect in a studio--Wakeman is a perfect technical guy so is Banks live---Emerson and Moraz not as perfect---I remember Sting making a comment that Genesis never makes a technical mistake live.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 10:25
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

The correct term is indeed technical death metal.  I have never heard 'just' technical metal.
Maybe Bandcamp will help you to refresh your memory: technical metal
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 10:36
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

When you Google "technical rock" you get one direct reference (@last.fm). That's it. That's all you get.
omfg! Shocked

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Boboulo Boboulo wrote:

When you Google "technical rock" you get one direct reference (@last.fm). That's it. That's all you get.
omfg! Shocked

Believe it or not, but that actually doesn't help your cause. There are only nine albums on Bandcamp with that tag. There are over five millions albums on Bandcamp.

There are more albums on Bandcamp tagged poop rock:

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 14:54
Originally posted by twosteves twosteves wrote:

I remember Sting making a comment that Genesis never makes a technical mistake live.

Which is why they're performances often lacked soul.

'Technical' to me would be an emphasis on a cerebral approach to music, using the brain more than the spirit.  Nothing wrong with that at all, I love technical music.   But the human factor, the room for instinct and mistake-making, is vital to something like rock or jazz.   The best guitar players exhibit both, e.g. Jeff Beck, McLaughlin, Page, Hendrix, Uli Roth, EVH, Randy Rhoads, SRV, Holdsworth, etc.

Edited by Atavachron - September 24 2020 at 14:55
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 16:24
Technical means to me technological without olog. Do you know olog? A very advanced robot type. Cool

Seriously though, technical means what it says. As for me, it should connote that, "that" technicality has some special aspects; like stuff done by utilizing and mastering effective techniques, which are hard to have down cold and require some significant talent. Otherwise, every kind of playing and singing can be labelled as "technical"; and it would be pointlelss to state, let alone coin/label that. Also, some musicians have virtually unique techniques. I personally wouldn't call their music "technical", unless their music is focused on reflecting the technical side over the melodic, emotional etc. quality. In other words, if one is not extravagantly showcasing his/her technical prowess, I wouldn't prefer to call their music technical, albeit except for mentioning while analyzing the music's constituents/elements.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:01
Originally posted by progaardvark progaardvark wrote:

omfg! Shocked

Believe it or not, but that actually doesn't help your cause. There are only nine albums on Bandcamp with that tag. There are over five millions albums on Bandcamp.

Actually, it's more hilarious than that -- there are less than nine. If you look at the 9 selections, 5 of them are by the same band. That's not a genre, that's a Thursday open mic night with no cover charge. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Once again, Svetonio bringing ramen noodles to a gun fight. But I am sure Svetty has all the poop rock albums in his collection.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 18:59

omfg! Shocked

Actually, I don't deny that the term is (almost) extinct. However, the term was in use in the 70's, and here and there the tag "technical" is used even today.

From Progarchives:
"1980 is a technical prog metal band from France. Their music is entirely instrumental, and displays a wide array of influences from bands such as Meshuggah" link

1980 - "Amicalement Votre" (2007)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 19:09

omfg! Shocked

Actually, it's more hilarious than that -- there are less than nine. If you look at the 9 selections, 5 of them are by the same band. That's not a genre, that's a Thursday open mic night with no cover charge. LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Once again, Svetonio bringing ramen noodles to a gun fight. But I am sure Svetty has all the poop rock albums in his collection.

Actually, I don't deny that the term is (almost) extinct. However, the term was in use in the 70's, and here and there the tag "technical" is used even today.

From Progarchives:
"1980 is a technical prog metal band from France. Their music is entirely instrumental, and displays a wide array of influences from bands such as Meshuggah" link

Now it's suddenly changed to "technical prog metal"? You can't even stay on topic. Tech/Extreme Prog Metal is a progressive rock music sub-genre on PA. Like Meshuggah. 

Give it up, Babaloo.LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 19:38
Oh and I almost forgot to mention this album-title that brilliantly describes music.

Black Sabbath - "Gypsy" (1976)

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:11

The correct term is indeed technical death metal.  I have never heard 'just' technical metal.
Maybe Bandcamp will help you to refresh your memory: technical metal

Dude, that's a TAG.  A TAG. T-A-G.  Not a genre.  And that tag is one of multiple tags given to bands so it has zero meaning. 

Take a look at one of the bands tagged as technical metal, Pangaea. 

They describe themselves as progressive metal.  Are you going to go to Wisconsin to tell them they are wrong and don't know sh*t?  Yes, you would, because you are svetty the uber moron. 

Now look at the tags there: death metal, metal, metalcore, technical metal, djent, heavy metal, progressive metal, technical death metal, Wisconsin.

Yeah, I am sure Wisconsin is a genre because bandcamp tagged this band with Wisconsin.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:14

omfg! Shocked

Actually, I don't deny that the term is (almost) extinct. However, the term was in use in the 70's, and here and there the tag "technical" is used even today.

From Progarchives:
"1980 is a technical prog metal band from France. Their music is entirely instrumental, and displays a wide array of influences from bands such as Meshuggah" link

Moron, moron, moron!  Nobody said technical is not used as a prefix in metal genres.  I literally said that in the post you quoted without, as usual, reading it.  The correct usage, if you bothered to understand, is always technical progressive metal or technical death metal.  Metal is the umbrella term, like rock.  Death/progressive/power/black/thrash describe the sub genre. Technical is simply an additional prefix.  You could have technical death metal (Cryptopsy) or brutal death metal (Suffocation) or old school death metal (Dismember).  But we don't say technical metal.  Again, why don't you get out there into the real world, go to a metal concert and ask folks what is technical metal?  They will immediately ask you whether you mean technical death metal or something else?  Just technical metal by itself is a useless term.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:15

Oh and I almost forgot to mention this album-title that brilliantly describes music.

You do realize the album title "Technical Ecstasy" has nothing at all to do with the music, right? It was about the cover, or as Ozzy Osbourne put it, "two robots screwing on an escalator".Wink

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 24 2020 at 20:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:19

You do realize the album title "Technical Ecstasy" has nothing at all to do with the music, right? It was about the cover, or as Ozzy Osbourne put it, "two robots screwing on an escalator".Wink

All fun and games when the big ego self-destructs and owns himself due to his refusal to simply concede and move on.
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:35

omfg! Shocked

From Progarchives:

Moron, moron, moron!  Nobody said technical is not used as a prefix in metal genres.  I literally said that in the post you quoted without, as usual, reading it.  The correct usage, if you bothered to understand, is always technical progressive metal or technical death metal.  Metal is the umbrella term, like rock.  Death/progressive/power/black/thrash describe the sub genre. Technical is simply an additional prefix.  You could have technical death metal (Cryptopsy) or brutal death metal (Suffocation) or old school death metal (Dismember).  But we don't say technical metal.  Again, why don't you get out there into the real world, go to a metal concert and ask folks what is technical metal?  They will immediately ask you whether you mean technical death metal or something else?  Just technical metal by itself is a useless term.
Holy crap! What a scandal! Poor Sophie has missed the word "death"!Shocked

10 essential tech metal albums

By Sophie Maughan (Metal Hammer) June 01, 2020

Tech metal is the very definition of order in chaos, and here are 10 albums that prove it
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:44

omfg! Shocked

From Progarchives:

Tech metal is the very definition of order in chaos, and here are 10 albums that prove it

Back to your favourite strategy.  First it was NME, now Metal Hammer.  Anyway, my patience is not infinite.  You can go on posting random links. You embarrassed yourself badly by posting a bandcamp tag so that's the end of it.  You don't even know the context and are just randomly searching references of the term. 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 20:58

omfg! Shocked

From Progarchives:

Back to your favourite strategy.  First it was NME, now Metal Hammer.  Anyway, my patience is not infinite.  You can go on posting random links. You embarrassed yourself badly by posting a bandcamp tag so that's the end of it.  You don't even know the context and are just randomly searching references of the term. 
Bloody hell!! How many ignorants these days! Why they don't consult @rogerthat before they start to write about metal?!Shocked

Top 10 tech metal tracks as chosen by Harbinger

By Alice Pattillo (Metal Hammer) May 20, 2019

London's fledging hardcore tech metallers, Harbinger, countdown their top 10 ultimate songs in the world of technical metal
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 21:08
For me technical means a focus on the skills involved with the instrument and not so much the feel or melodic content. Imo, Al Di Meola is an example of a technical player. 
Boboulo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Boboulo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 24 2020 at 21:24

I'm afraid I'll have to disappoint you again.That illustration was created after the album title.

The cover art was designed by Hipgnosis. Osbourne once described it as "two robots screwing on an escalator". Hipgnosis' Storm Thorgerson, who had been assisted by graphic designer George Hardie, discussed the cover with Zoom magazine in 1979:  "We're very fond of that cover. From the title of the piece, Technical Ecstasy, I thought of something ecstatic rather than something technical, and I immediately thought of ecstasy in sexual terms: some sort of mechanical copulation, which would be tricky to do.

In 1992, Iommi admitted to Guitar World: "Black Sabbath fans generally don't like much of Technical Ecstasy. It was really a no-win situation for us. If we had stayed the same, people would have said we were still doing the same old stuff. So we tried to get a little more technical, and it just didn’t work out very well.

edit: Still my favourite Sabbath's record, though.

Edited by Boboulo - September 24 2020 at 23:14
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>