Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rock Stars' Favorite Stand-up Comedians?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MortSahlFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Stars' Favorite Stand-up Comedians?
    Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:37
I just got done hearing for the 20th time how "Musicians wanna be stand-up comedians, and vice-versa", but I'm wondering who were the favorites of your favorites, or those you know... If you can't think of rock stars, any musician will do.

Steely Dan liked Mort Sahl and Lenny Bruce.

Tool seemed to be a big fan of Bill Hicks.
https://www.youtube.com/c/LoyalOpposition

https://www.scribd.com/document/382737647/MortSahlFan-Song-List
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 14:40
I don't follow any musicians close enough to know who their favorite stand-up comedians are. 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 27 2020 at 16:12
I was listening to a podcast quite some time ago (the Rule of Three) that talked about the relationship between musicians and stand-up comedians and the similarities, and the desire for each to do the other. Something to do with finding the beats as I recall. There is the rhythm of music and the rhythm of telling a joke and of course performing for an audience.

At least when you are a musician being heckled and booed by an audience you might be able to turn up the volume of the music more. Shouty comedians (turning up the volume by raising their voices) dealing with hecklers often are annoying. It can be quite funny with both comedians an musicians dealing with hecklers/ disgruntled audience members..

I love many kinds of comedy, but there isn't a lot of stand-up comedy that I like and I don't follow any musicians closely. Read a book on Pink Floyd and one on Jim Morrison once, and seen some documentaries on musicians. I have listened to more comedians talk about comedy than musicians talk about music or comedy.

Edited by Logan - September 27 2020 at 16:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply