Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who Else is A Musicians, and What Do You Play?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who Else is A Musicians, and What Do You Play?
    Posted: September 29 2020 at 00:49
Exactly what it sounds like; GO!!!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 02:07
I'm a bass guitarist, I also dabble a bit with six-string and mandolin.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 02:39
I play the drums to a medicore standard, and in my mind (and in the shower) I'm a brilliant singer.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 02:50
Awesome, guys! I'm trying to round up who actually plays, james, experiments with their own music/covers/whatever here on PA. Would be cool to see what people are up to! 

Any of you guys write your own stuff or jam with others?

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 03:08
I sing up to a half-decent/half-not bad whatever standard. I have a keyboard which I use more to work out modes when I hear something interesting in a composition.  Don't really have any facility on the instrument.
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 03:55
I'm a guitarist who always had interest in synthesizers, although I wouldn't consider myself a decent keyboardist. I also try to play bass, mandolin and Portuguese guitar. I mostly work on my psychedelic music but also practice over Prog songs. Here's my latest song:

Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 06:23
I tinker with guitar, bass, drums and keyboards. Not really proficient at any instrument but music is in my blood and it's so fun to play. In my younger years I played in several cover bands. No longer play live, but me and my good friend have been writing and recording original music for 34 years. We started recording on 4 track cassette. I also have a few solo albums where I play everything. I have a very modest setup...record on a Tascam DP24. The music could be classified as classic rock, not too exciting, but we both have a blast and will continue doing it as long as we can.

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 07:49
I've been making a living through music for about 30 years now. Teaching makes up a big part of that, but performing is also a percentage of the income. My profile homepage is a link to my funk jazz group. I play keyboards mostly, but also play guitar, sax, flute, bass and drums.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:25
Guitar, mainly acoustic these days, and blues harp (or Neil Young/Bob Dylan harp as the song requires). And speaking of playing the blues....

After years of maintaining a low profile and having retired 20 years ago from playing in bar bands, my wife suddenly took me off double-secret probation and gave her very limited blessing to go out and play in bars again (when you hit 60, wives tend to not miss you as much any longer). That was at Christmas.

So, for xmas she got me another Martin to add to my collection, and I went out and bought a Fishman SA 330X audio system (which is superb by the way, particularly with the added 300W subwoofer and expander), a couple new Shure M58s and a small Fender tube amp (Super-Champ X2 15W 1x10 for overdriving the blues harp sound). I started practicing more diligently and called around to some old friends who owned bars, and then....

The f*cking pandemic hit.

Edited by The Dark Elf - September 29 2020 at 10:27
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:30
I'm a drummer. Played out in various local cover bands over the years. 
The band I'm in now does classic rock, 80's & 90's. (Sadly, no prog.)
 Unfortunately we are on hiatus due to COVID.

Edited by Argo2112 - September 29 2020 at 10:33
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:38
I'm a guitarist and a pianist. I also used to play saxophone (really badly).
I don't compose, but appreciate other composers. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 10:40
I play guitar and drums reasonably well and have some rudimentary keyboard knowledge. I played in a psychedelic rock band and played a few gigs until our singer and bass player emigrated to Canada two years back. The music I played with that band was nothing special and I felt like my own limited instrumental skills were holding me back, so I've since moved on to composing and producing music entirely on the computer. Here's an example in case anyone's interested (I think it falls into the "progressive" category):
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:21
I primarily play guitar, bass, and keyboards, alongside banjo and mandolin.

Here is the penultimate track from the last album; you can stream the whole thing on Youtube or Bandcamp.

The Anders View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 14:37
I play a bit of it all. F.e. I play all instruments on this track (most of them are coming in after 3:20):

Edited by The Anders - September 29 2020 at 14:44
Hrychu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrychu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 16:30
I'm a producer/composer. I play the guitar but I'm no virtuoso tbh. Here's one of my better "prog" works.
Bez pierdolenia sygnał zerwie, to w realia wychodź w hełmie!
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 17:13
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I play a bit of it all. F.e. I play all instruments on this track (most of them are coming in after 3:20):

While I don't know the language, I enjoyed listening to that one.
Epignosis View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Epignosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 29 2020 at 17:17
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

I play guitar and drums reasonably well and have some rudimentary keyboard knowledge. I played in a psychedelic rock band and played a few gigs until our singer and bass player emigrated to Canada two years back. The music I played with that band was nothing special and I felt like my own limited instrumental skills were holding me back, so I've since moved on to composing and producing music entirely on the computer. Here's an example in case anyone's interested (I think it falls into the "progressive" category):

I dig this.  Well done.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 03:49
Originally posted by Mirakaze Mirakaze wrote:

Awesome thank you for sharing!

Originally posted by Epignosis Epignosis wrote:

I primarily play guitar, bass, and keyboards, alongside banjo and mandolin.

Here is the penultimate track from the last album; you can stream the whole thing on Youtube or Bandcamp.

Really good stuff right here thank you for sharing this.

Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

Clap

Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

I'm a producer/composer. I play the guitar but I'm no virtuoso tbh. Here's one of my better "prog" works.

Clap

chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 04:41
I play in a covers band, we don't do a lot of gigs but the gigs we did have booked this year have all been cancelled for obvious reasons. We have one at Christmas but who knows if that will be able to go ahead (certainly not BoJo).
We're currently rehearsing in our singer's summer house - we stand inside whilst our singer stands outside under a gazebo as he refuses to be in a room with us. We won't be able to do this for much longer due to the weather - what are others doing about rehearsing and gigging at the moment?
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:51
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

I play in a covers band, we don't do a lot of gigs but the gigs we did have booked this year have all been cancelled for obvious reasons. We have one at Christmas but who knows if that will be able to go ahead (certainly not BoJo).
We're currently rehearsing in our singer's summer house - we stand inside whilst our singer stands outside under a gazebo as he refuses to be in a room with us. We won't be able to do this for much longer due to the weather - what are others doing about rehearsing and gigging at the moment?
To answer your question, I have emphysema so covid germs could be a death sentence. Gigs are off the table and I teach most lessons via Zoom now. I have a couple people I can trust who still come over for lessons with masks on and some distance. I lost a lot of students and make about half the money I used to make which is just enough to get by. I have a lot of savings and investments so I'll be okay.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
 Post Reply Post Reply