Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A-Z of British Prog - Part One: Artists

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: Who's your favourite artist?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.63%]
2 [2.82%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
17 [23.94%]
1 [1.41%]
1 [1.41%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [5.63%]
13 [18.31%]
3 [4.23%]
2 [2.82%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.41%]
2 [2.82%]
4 [5.63%]
0 [0.00%]
13 [18.31%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:37
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by Mormegil Mormegil wrote:

Sheesh - too many to choose!
Today it's Yes.
It might be easier to choose when I make it an albums poll (at Cristi's suggestion) with the same list of artists. Smile

not a suggestion, just an observation & advice. 
Okay, I'm not going to get into an argument over whether it was a suggestion or not. LOL

it's funny and somehow troubling that when you and me interact, you never use the word "discuss/discussion", it's always "argue/argument". Ouch LOL
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 07:49
Hmm, you made it as hard as possible... But I won't let Deep Purple go voteless!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:26
Too many great band to choose from. King Crimson, Camel, Pink Floyd, etc. Al  are worthy of wining, so it's hard to single one as the best. 
FloydianPinkRose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote FloydianPinkRose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 08:33
I know this is mainly a music site where Prog rules, but at times it seems like a battle zone. A music site where discussion is encouraged will always have differing opinions, but that’s what makes it interesting, I think. And I know I tend to error on the side of passion, and I’m very passionate about Psychedelic Paul’s musical endeavors: reviews, blogs, polls, etc. But it’s hard to watch the bickering that goes on between two factions, which is reminiscent of The Battle of the Roses. Lancaster (red rose) and York (white rose). Instead of Plantagenet it’s Prog Archives. But hopefully it won’t take 30 years to end the rivalry between two individuals who share similar interests, are equally knowledgeable about Prog, and amazingly enough, made the same selection for the choice of Deep Purple albums that came last in their list. I had to look twice to be sure!! Amazing!! They agreed on something!! And I know Psychedelic Paul makes a choice hard, in his lengthy list of artists, but it’s akin to the Olympics: where only the elite are chosen, knowing the unchosen are cream of the crop too. Just a thought. Prog On!! FloydianPinkRose 😊👍
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by FloydianPinkRose FloydianPinkRose wrote:

I know this is mainly a music site where Prog rules, but at times it seems like a battle zone. A music site where discussion is encouraged will always have differing opinions, but that’s what makes it interesting, I think. And I know I tend to error on the side of passion, and I’m very passionate about Psychedelic Paul’s musical endeavors: reviews, blogs, polls, etc. But it’s hard to watch the bickering that goes on between two factions, which is reminiscent of The Battle of the Roses. Lancaster (red rose) and York (white rose). Instead of Plantagenet it’s Prog Archives. But hopefully it won’t take 30 years to end the rivalry between two individuals who share similar interests, are equally knowledgeable about Prog, and amazingly enough, made the same selection for the choice of Deep Purple albums that came last in their list. I had to look twice to be sure!! Amazing!! They agreed on something!! And I know Psychedelic Paul makes a choice hard, in his lengthy list of artists, but it’s akin to the Olympics: where only the elite are chosen, knowing the unchosen are cream of the crop too. Just a thought. Prog On!! FloydianPinkRose 😊👍

I think I can guess who the two warring factions are that you mentioned. Wink The big question is, who are you going to vote for in the proggy Olympic poll vault? I'll take a wild guess from your username that you'll choose Pink Floyd. The poll is currently a three-horse race between Pink Floyd, Yes and King Crimson, so you could swing the vote, unless there are any later mail-in votes.  Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 30 2020 at 09:49
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:39

Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

Gentle Giant should have been listed instead of David Gilmour... GG was arguably the most British of British Prog bands, and Gilmour is already represented here by Pink Floyd...

Interesting point.
Anderson's Scottish (I think), Fruupp are Irish, Mercury of Queen's Indian by birth... hm.
Great bands, though, all of 'em.

I guess it depends how you define a "British" band. If Fruup are Irish then technically they're not British (they're UK). Mercury was actually born in Africa (Zanzibar) to Indian parents.

Fruupp are technically British because they're from Belfast in Northern Ireland and N.I. is part of the United Kingdom and also part of the British Isles. Smile

Ah right, I assumed you meant Great Britain. This whole British, UK thing is mad, try explaining it to a non-British person.

It's difficult enough explaining to some Americans, the difference between England and Scotland. I've spoken to some who think the latter is part of the former, and hadn't heard of Wales, but had heard of New South Wales! It is quite ridiculous.
Yes, and to confuse things even further, the island of Great Britain doesn't include Northern Ireland, even though Protestants in Northern Ireland are regarded as British. Smile

And the Catholics in Northern Ireland tend to regard themselves as Irish, some folks regard themselves as Northern Irish or Ulstermen/women. Here in the states, those of us whose ancestors came from Northern Ireland tend to call them Scotch-Irish or Scots-Irish due to the Scottish settling (or invasion if you prefer) of the area from the Ulster Plantation period. I have ancestors from Counties Antrim, Fermanagh, Tyrone, and neighboring Donegal just across the border.

It's complicated.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 09:45
^ Yes, the Northern Irish situation is so complicated that they even went to war over it. Dead
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:53
the off-topic-ness here is hilarious... 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 30 2020 at 10:57

This topic has reached new heights of "off-topic-ness." Smile
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 03:29
From the list uriah heep
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 03:36
Originally posted by b_olariu b_olariu wrote:

From the list Uriah Heep

Jethro Tull will be coming up in the next A-Z list. Wink
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 03:38

This topic has reached new heights of "off-topic-ness." Smile
I guess I'm to blame - it started off when I queried the Britishness of Fruupp. I do feel it was valid as we needed to establish whether we were talking Great Britain or the British Isles. This is an important point. Things did veer off a bit after that.Tongue
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 03:46
^ No One is to Blame. I like it when a thread goes off-topic. It's all part of the fun. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 01 2020 at 05:07
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 04:46

^ No One is to Blame. I like it when a thread goes off-topic. It's all part of the fun. Smile

Yes but do you have to post a video for each comment - it just slows down the loading of the page.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 05:08

Yes but do you have to post a video for each comment - it just slows down the loading of the page.
Okay, no problem. I've deleted the video. I'm not a big fan of Howard Jones anyway. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 01 2020 at 05:12
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 13:50
No vote, I cannot choose between Yes, KC and PF. And Gentle Giant...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 01 2020 at 13:58
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

No vote, I cannot choose between Yes, KC and PF. And Gentle Giant...
Maybe you'll find it easier to choose in the albums polls with the same list of artists. Smile

The jolly green Gentle Giant will be along in Part Four, after Genesis & Greenslade in Parts Two & Three. Smile
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 06:56

Gentle Giant should have been listed instead of David Gilmour... GG was arguably the most British of British Prog bands, and Gilmour is already represented here by Pink Floyd...

Not forgetting Genesis....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 07:01
Originally posted by essexboyinwales essexboyinwales wrote:

Not forgetting Genesis....
Genesis will be along in Part Two from the poll vaults of prog. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 02 2020 at 07:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2020 at 02:06
Albums poll results:-

First Album

1. King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King (24 votes)
2. Rick Wakeman - The Six Wives of Henry VIII (7 votes)

Second Album

1. Camel - Mirage (23 votes)
2. Queen - Queen II (10 votes)

Third Album

1. Yes - The Yes Album (20 votes)
2. King Crimson - Lizard (9 votes)

Fourth Album

1. Yes - Fragile (20 votes)
2. Van der Graaf Generator - Pawn Hearts (15 votes)

Fifth Album

1. Yes - Close to the Edge (27 votes)
2. King Crimson - Larks' Tongues in Aspic (9 votes)

Sixth Album

1. Pink Floyd - Meddle (15 votes)
2. King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (11 votes)
2. Yes - Tales from Topographic Oceans (11 votes)

Seventh Album

1. King Crimson - Red (27 votes)
2. Yes - Relayer (20 votes)

Eighth Album

1. Pink Floyd - Dark Side of the Moon (31 votes)
2. Yes - Going for the One (10 votes)

Ninth Album

1. Pink Floyd - Wish You Were Here (27 votes)
2. Yes - Tormato (5 votes)

Tenth Album

1. Pink Floyd - Animals (16 votes)
2. Yes - Drama (9 votes)

Thanks to everyone who took part in the polls. Thumbs Up

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 16 2020 at 10:06
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>