Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proto-Prog, Prog Related or Prog Pop which is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proto-Prog, Prog Related or Prog Pop which is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proto-Prog, Prog Related or Prog Pop which is it?
    Posted: October 02 2020 at 19:44
Being stuck at home since March, I recently decided to convert all my music to MP3 to allow me to sit at my desk when working and not in a video conference, with headphones on my head and listen to music.  I have been using MusicBee to order my mp3 albums as I convert them.  BTW I really like MusicBee.  

Well as I get to the converting part, I often get stuck of where to place a Band/Artist.  ie...for example, I just converted Love - Forever Changes cd.

When you listen to the whole Album to me its what Progressive was all about in the late 60's/70s.  Bands moving away from Rock and Roll in the U.S. or the Mersey / Beatles sound in the UK.  When you look Love up in Wiki its says Pop, Psychedelic, Folk Rock, Acid Rock.  Here btw..they are not listed, perhaps rightly so, perhaps not.

Since I am a Progger at heart all my life, that sort of bothers me in categorization.  So I sit here wondering where shall I place them.  And this bothers me even more so now that I am entering them into my MusicBee as I want a simple life...grab a genre or two and just play random tracks if I am in the mood for it instead of having to manually pick every time what I want to listen to.

To me for example with Love, they are either Proto-Prog or the non existent category recently discussed in another post Progressive Pop... maybe they are Prog Related?

I am stuck like this with a lot of early artists.. ie.  where to put Donovan, Kat Stevens... in Pop next to Madonna?  LOL (Madonna is just an example of current music categorizations around the internet.)  How sad to have to place Donovan into a folder with Madonna!  lol.

Ah!  what confusion!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 20:40
Psychedelic pop rock....again some of the music being done in those heady days of the late 60's was 'progressive' in some manner but not necessarily all songs and not necessarily progressive rock.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Spaciousmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 21:16
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Psychedelic pop rock....again some of the music being done in those heady days of the late 60's was 'progressive' in some manner but not necessarily all songs and not necessarily progressive rock.

That's exactly , the complication I would want to avoid, because you end up having 100,000 different categories in your music player if you are like me you have an overload of music as result of 40 + years of buying and hoarding.

Music falls into moods that complement each other.  Therefore the last thing you want is loads and loads of categories.  Your example Psychedelic Pop Rock as a result now becomes Psychedelic, Psychedelic Pop,  Psychedelic Rock, Pop, Rock, Rock Pop = 6 genres.  The world now becomes a huge confusing unfathomable over complicated spaghetti :)

The Love sound is soft, relaxing progressive, melodic, musically not unlike a mood when listening to Moody Blues, Barclay James Harvest, or even Fairport Convention amongst many other soft prog bands listed here, if you take out the words like Folk etc.

Best regards
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 21:21
LOL...you are overcomplicating it...but then that's not uncommon with prog fans.
Pick a category and be done with it.
Wink
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 02 2020 at 21:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

LOL...you are overcomplicating it...but then that's not uncommon with prog fans.
Pick a category and be done with it.
Wink

Exactly!  I have already decided to add Progressive Pop to my lot to keep it simple, but still separated.  At the end of the day I am happy with all the Prog categories and by just adding Jazz, Metal, Rock, Blues, Country and Classical, I am all set.  The girlfriend can have her Pop category as I will have my Cat Stevens, Donovan, Love etc in Progressive Pop... lol

That makes it 23 Prog plus 7 = 30 categories!

Darn that's still too many! Confused

Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 08:24
Put them in alphabetical order by band, like I do with my vinyl and forget about genres.
It's either prog or it isn't and, to some extent, that's your personal opinion anyway (which is why my Toto albums sit defiantly in my prog collection and stuff anyone who doesn't agree.).

Edited by Hercules - October 03 2020 at 08:24
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 08:33
I have my prog albums organized in three big folders: classic prog which is any prog album from 1967-68 to 1979, then prog-rock & related, which is anything post 1980 prog and last but not least progressive metal folder. 
Works fine for me, no Camel next to Depeche Mode. LOL
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 08:41
Love's albums are in the Psychedelic Rock rack in my CD collection, next to Jimi Hendrix. Smile
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:03
Don’t believe I have ever sorted by genre. The genre on PA is an indication of something, but once I find something I like, I sort it alphabetically.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:12
Not only do I sort albums by genre, but I listen to albums alphabetically by genre too.  I couldn't possibly consider placing Camel next to Depeche Mode either. I have a separate CD rack just for Synth-Pop. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 03 2020 at 10:13
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:43
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Not only do I sort albums by genre, but I listen to albums alphabetically by genre too.  I couldn't possibly consider placing Camel next to Depeche Mode either. I have a separate CD rack just for Synth-Pop. Smile

the OP is talking about organizing his mp3 files/albums. It could be hard. 
For example alphabetical order does not work for me. Organizing by genre does somehow. 

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 10:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

For example alphabetical order does not work for me. Organizing by genre does somehow. 

I was replying to Zeph. Smile
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 11:05
I have hundreds of albums on MP3, and I totally ignore the genre tag. I pick what to listen to by the Artist, then by album -- never by genre or sub-genre. Why? Because most of the MP3s I've downloaded from Bandcamp, Amazon, etc. all have nonsensical genre's assigned, like Rock or Alternative or Pop. I would have to edit EVERYTHING I own to make it useful, so I just disregard it.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 12:00

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I was replying to Zeph. Smile

you thought the same thing before replying to him. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 12:29
Yep, it really is not that simple, hence my post to see what others are doing.  The problem is (which is a preference so I can separate myself between work time and not working time) I have my working at home office set up downstairs and my music stuff, home computer etc. etc.  upstairs.  I set myself up with an external hard drive, that stores the music and before I start work I pick a few genres depending on my mood on what I want to listen to, these become a playlist for my work day, sorted by artist and albums within genre.  So if I am in a play random mood they play random all day or by album.

Anyway, I put on my blue tooth headphones on and off I trot downstairs to work.

I don't know what you all use as headphones but I deliberated a while between Bose and Sony and went for the Sony and I am really happy I did as they sound great and are comfortable.  Also, I can walk around areas of my garden or take the trash down to the road and still for the most part get a good reception on them.  If I have a call to make or video conference, I tap the side of the head phone to pause the music and pick it back up when I am through.

Well as you can imagine, not everything works when you are working away because some music requires that you really sit down and try to listen to it and understand it ie Eclectic, Metal if it verges on grunge etc. Prog Jazz and so on, that on occasion ends up just noise that irritates you while you are concentrating on some work you are doing.

So being able to sort by genre or even better by mood does become something you want, otherwise you end up either taking the headphones off because of distracting noise you don't have time for at that moment in time.  Even with Genre assuming you set it up with the Prog Archives categories you still have a huge difference of Bands and Sounds that are not always compatible to your listening mood.

I guess I am a little picky and looking for perfection!  lol

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Intruder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:09
My Love albums sit next to my West Coast USA psych folk next to the Doors, Airplane, Quicksilver, and Steve Miller Band albums; if they were English, I'd slot 'em next to the Zombies, Bee Gees, Move, and Procol Harum albums.  Forever Changes and Odessy and Oracle - two great examples of psychadelic chamber pop.  
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:16
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

My Love albums sit next to my West Coast USA psych folk next to the Doors, Airplane, Quicksilver, and Steve Miller Band albums; if they were English, I'd slot 'em next to the Zombies, Bee Gees, Move, and Procol Harum albums.  Forever Changes and Odessy and Oracle - two great examples of psychadelic chamber pop.  
I have albums by ALL of those great artists you mentioned. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 14:20
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Put them in alphabetical order by band, like I do with my vinyl and forget about genres.
It's either prog or it isn't and, to some extent, that's your personal opinion anyway (which is why my Toto albums sit defiantly in my prog collection and stuff anyone who doesn't agree.).

You mentioning Toto reminds me of a short 2/3 year period we had where Ringo Starr and his All Starr Band, Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, Yes and Santana all came to Birmingham, Alabama.  That was a rare treat as no one ever comes to Alabama other than the usual Southern Rock Bands and the almost annual staples Kansas, Styx, Journey, Kiss, Motley Crue who come and play at the outdoor Amphitheater about 2 miles from where I live.

Anyway, Ringo Starr All Star Band lineup had Steve Luthaker, Gregg Rolie (Santana), Todd Rundgen, Gregg Bissonnette and Richard Page (Mr. Mister). In the set list they played Africa, Rosanna and Hold the Line.  Also fun was listening to their All Starr sound of Black Magic Woman/Gypsy Queen, Oye Como Va and Evil Ways.  About 3 weeks later Santana played so it was cool to compare the two sounds. 

Regarding Robert Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters, that was a rare treat as they only played if I recall 3 concerts, in New Orleans, Birmingham and NY and that was it.  Plant wanted small theatre venues so the concert was in a small downtown theatre that only holds about 2000 if that and the tickets were sold out in less than a day. I figured that would be the case and made sure I got my tickets in as soon as they opened for sale.

Yes btw are coming here again May next year so I am going to have to see about getting a ticket... ooops  my bad that's in Birmingham UK :(  Grrrrr.

Edited by Spaciousmind - October 03 2020 at 14:30
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 19:12
I don't bother categorizing my songs.

I just throw them all together into a musical gumbo.
Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 03 2020 at 22:50
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

So being able to sort by genre or even better by mood does become something you want, otherwise you end up either taking the headphones off because of distracting noise you don't have time for at that moment in time.  Even with Genre assuming you set it up with the Prog Archives categories you still have a huge difference of Bands and Sounds that are not always compatible to your listening mood.

So what you really want to do is group them by mood? My Sony Walkman MP3 player does that by analysing the tracks- it will classify music by quiet, relaxing, loud, dance etc etc and it works reasonably well. Maybe there's some other software that will do that?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>