Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Proto-Prog, Prog Related or Prog Pop which is it?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proto-Prog, Prog Related or Prog Pop which is it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spaciousmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

So being able to sort by genre or even better by mood does become something you want, otherwise you end up either taking the headphones off because of distracting noise you don't have time for at that moment in time.  Even with Genre assuming you set it up with the Prog Archives categories you still have a huge difference of Bands and Sounds that are not always compatible to your listening mood.

So what you really want to do is group them by mood? My Sony Walkman MP3 player does that by analysing the tracks- it will classify music by quiet, relaxing, loud, dance etc etc and it works reasonably well. Maybe there's some other software that will do that?

The software won't do it automatically.  But, that is what I will most probably do once I am finished with converting the rest of my cd's.

It has two extra pop-down categories:  Moods and Occasion with pop down choices.  Looking at them "Occasion" might be the easiest way to go as a couple of the pop down choices do show "Work" and "Christmas"  which is useful so I can separate a band's seasonal album out of my daily listening but auto find them at Christmas.  As in for example Moody Blues "December" or JT's and Ian Andersons seasonal Christmas stuff.  I don't need them popping up in a playlist during the year!  "Live" and "Compilation" are probably two more tags that I will create so that with a click I can use or have removed in play lists.

All this sounds trivial but it really is a big deal if you have a big collection and you are putting them into a player and not wanting to spend half your time scrolling and picking what to play.

But there are benefits once sorted.  A couple of custom USB sticks for the road for me and a custom one for my life partner.  Unfortunately she cringes when she hears a lot of the prog, but fill a stick with Rammstein, AC/DC, Journey, Aerosmith, Album Rock, T'Rex, Bowie, The Sweet, etc and she is happy and no more nagging in the car lol.  She is all over anything that sounds like Till and I introduced her to T'Rex the same. She can't get enough of Marc Bolan. 

Just to put into perspective the work of converting, I finished Jethro and Ian Andersen last week and was shocked when I realized I had converted 51.
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 07:17
Originally posted by Spaciousmind Spaciousmind wrote:

... being able to sort by genre or even better by mood does become something you want, otherwise you end up either taking the headphones off because of distracting noise you don't have time for at that moment in time. 

Then why not just create playlists of music that has similar "mood" that suits your purpose. I have several "work time" playlists, a "sleepy time" playlist, a "good grooves" playlist, a "classic prog" playlist, etc. Populate each playlist with songs or entire albums to suit your mood or activity. Any one song (or album) can be part of several playlists -- thus avoiding the anxiety of assignment to a single genre.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 01:29
Proto-prog always confused me TBH; where is the line between proto and regular prog?

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 01:37
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

Proto-prog always confused me TBH; where is the line between proto and regular prog?

there  is not line, proto-prog is not a music genre but still progressive rock, I don't know how to put it into words. Just listen to something like Procol Harum's epic from Shine on Brightly, or Deep Purple's Anthem. Both songs from 1968. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 01:41

I didn't know there was such a genre as Proto-Prog until I arrived here. Smile
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 03:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This was a big debate on PA, coz there existed two meanings of proto-prog, one of which I'm kind of surprised you've never heard of.

UK Bands like Cressida, Raw Material, Indian Summer, Still Life, Room, Czar, Greatest Show On Earth, Tonton Macoute and a bunch more (usually or often released on the Dawn or Neon labels) were called Proto-prog, because of their rawer sound and less-refined compositions  compared to the classic prog bands. Needless to d-say that the "proto-prog" genre was a pure journalistic invention that was born two decades later (in the 90's), when the German label Repertoire unearthed them and made those album available on CD for the first time.

Our version (ProgArchives) of proto-prog refers more to a timeline, and everything that predates the release of King Crimson's debut album. This was originally to include bands like The Nice, Vanilla Fudge,  Procol Harum and the first three albums od Deep Purple, which were Psychedelic prog (or prototype of prog), but internal rivalries and lobbying made that The Nice and Prol were yanked away almost right from the start. Not that our version of Proto-Prog is any more legit than the other.

But journalist speak of proto-punk (which never existed then, but is widely accepted nowadays) for the Detroit late-60's se-cene (Stooges, MC5, Amboy Duke) and New York (Velvet Underground), and journalists also invented the jazz genre "post-bop", to describe 60's, 70's and modern "bop" music that wasn't released in nthe 50's and 40's , be they Bebop or Hard Bop.

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 03:24
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

This was a big debate on PA, coz there existed two meanings of proto-prog, one of which I'm kind of surprised you've never heard of.

UK Bands like Cressida, Raw Material, Indian Summer, Still Life, Room, Czar, Greatest Show On Earth, Tonton Macoute and a bunch more (usually or often released on the Dawn or Neon labels) were called Proto-prog, because of their rawer sound and less-refined compositions  compared to the classic prog bands. Needless to d-say that the "proto-prog" genre was a pure journalistic invention that was born two decades later (in the 90's), when the German label Repertoire unearthed them and made those album available on CD for the first time.

Our version (ProgArchives) of proto-prog refers more to a timeline, and everything that predates the release of King Crimson's debut album. This was originally to include bands like The Nice, Vanilla Fudge,  Procol Harum and the first three albums od Deep Purple, which were Psychedelic prog (or prototype of prog), but internal rivalries and lobbying made that The Nice and Prol were yanked away almost right from the start. Not that our version of Proto-Prog is any more legit than the other.

But journalist speak of proto-punk (which never existed then, but is widely accepted nowadays) for the Detroit late-60's se-cene (Stooges, MC5, Amboy Duke) and New York (Velvet Underground), and journalists also invented the jazz genre "post-bop", to describe 60's, 70's and modern "bop" music that wasn't released in nthe 50's and 40's , be they Bebop or Hard Bop.

The PA version seems to make the most sense to me TBH, but I'm certain if I were an avid listener of proto, I'd know the actual big picture much better.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12