Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

30 albums that said "prog is back!"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 16:02
Prog was never gone.
1979 Holger Czukay - Movies
1980 Tangerine Dream - Tangram
1981 King Crimson - Discipline
1982 Kate Bush - The Dreaming
1983 Peter Hammill - Patience
1984 David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees
1985 Kate Bush - Hounds of Love
1986 Camberwell Now - The Ghost Trade
1987 Art Zoyd - Berlin
1988 Talk Talk - Spirit of Eden
1989 Fred Firth - Step Across the Border
Every decade could be proud of this selection. I could name more.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 16:17
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I don't know all of them (7) but good list. Thumbs Up

Wait, you know seven or you don't know seven? Wink

I don't know seven. 

Oh ok. Looks like you have some homework to do then. Wink

maybe

Isildur's Bane - I will check this band out.
Par Lindh Project - I know this band but I don't know what I heard long ago that made me gave up on them, might get a second chance, time is all i need.
Ozric Tentacles - not quite my thing, I did listen to a few albums of theirs at some point
Kingston Wall - I've heard of these guys, I wonder why I have never heard a full length from them, might give them a second chance
Djam Karet - I tried listening to these guys, could not get into them, maybe I was not in the right mood, I don't know
After Crying - I know who they are, I did listen to something from them, long ago, damn if I remember, might get a second chance. 
Nuova Era - I've never heard of this band, RPI? I will check them out at least to see what the fuss it's about. 

I'm not personally familiar with the Kingston Wall or Nuova Era so can't really comment other than to say they both have rather high ratings on here. That Djam Karet release(the devouring)is often considered to be one of their very best if not their best so if you don't like that one then chances are you won't like them in general. The same thing with that Ozric Tentacles release(Jurassic Shift). That After Crying I had a long time ago and only heard once I think. The albums they put out before it are rated higher by some so maybe just look for the highest rated ones by them on here but don't neglect this one either(I don't remember which ones are rated the highest). The IB is very good with some pure classical moments but somehow it works and makes it a very interesting listen(too bad I no longer have it and apparently it's now oop). With PLP I am not sure I heard that particular album even though I think I own it(I don't usually play the autograph copies I have of a band and I'm pretty sure PL signed that one). If you don't like ELP you might want to skip them though(very keyboard oriented with some heavy guitar).  Of course you can listen to these on youtube. You don't have to buy them(especially if you don't like them). 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2020 at 19:06
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Prog was never gone.
1987 Art Zoyd - Berlin

None of these are from the third wave or were part of any real comeback though. Also, I don't consider any to be very influential apart from the Talk Talk and KC (IMO). Maybe KB too. Not sure.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 04 2020 at 19:07
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 10:47

Prog was never gone.
1987 Art Zoyd - Berlin

None of these are from the third wave or were part of any real comeback though. Also, I don't consider any to be very influential apart from the Talk Talk and KC (IMO). Maybe KB too. Not sure.
Most of those are from/related to the post progressive genre, that came in the "second wave" of prog along with neo prog, so I basically agree. I think they part of a comeback though (as I said, they came with neo in the second wave), just not a recent one. And you could argue the comeback in the 90s/00s isn't recent either, for me it finally ended with PT's The Incident, and that was 11 years ago now. 

Trouble is, since the 80s, prog hasn't really drawn much attention (apart from us prog fans), and therefore defining when a comeback was is very difficult (because prog bands aren't talked about, say, on the radio). It took us ages to realise there might have been a third one, and I'm having huge trouble determining whether we're in one right now. We are in a very debatable field. Wink

Edited by FatherChristmas - October 05 2020 at 10:48
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 13:53

Prog was never gone.
1987 Art Zoyd - Berlin

Obviously not third wave, my point was that I wasn't in much need for prog to "come back" because there were great prog albums in the phase in which you apparently think it was absent. The thing is, none of these albums feels like anything "coming back". Instead they feel like progressing. Influence, it depends on whom. Fred Frith is super influential in some quarters, as was Holger Czukay, and Kate Bush anyway. Maybe not to typical prog listeners.
By the way, I don't want to be negative. I don't have anything against your list or your topic, I just thought I take it a bit against the grain (like Talk Talk did with pop music Wink).

Edited by Lewian - October 05 2020 at 13:55
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 16:23
Anyone's Daughter Adonis
Babylon s/t
Present Triskadekaphobia
Eskaton 4 Visions
King Crimson Discipline
Anthony Phillips 1984
Kate Bush The Dreaming
IQ Tales from the Lush Attic
Solaris Marsibéli Krónikák
Pallas The Sentinel
Marillion Script for a Jester's Tear
Pendragon The Jewel
Jane Siberry The Walking
Shub-Niggurath Les mortes sont vites
David Sylvian Gone to Earth
Mr. Sirius Barren Dream
The Cardiacs A Little Man a House and The Whole World Window
Galadriel Muttered Promises from an Ageless Pond
Pazzo Fanfano di Musica s/t
Ozric Tentacles Erpland
After Crying Overground Music
Pat Metheny Secret Story
Dream Theater Images and Words
Änglagĺrd Hybris
The Flower Kings Back in the World of Adventures
Pär Lindh Project Gothic Impressions
Porcupine Tree The Sky Moves Sideways
Discipline Unfolded Like Staircase
Höyry-Kone Huono parturi
Sigur Rós Ágćtus Byrjun
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 17:09

Here is my list of albums of the so called prog resurgence that said "prog is back." These are in chronological order. 

1. Solaris -1990  (1990)
2. Camel - Dust and Dreams (1991)
3. Dream Theater - Images and Words (1992)
4. Anglagard - Hybris (1992)
5. Echolyn - Suffocating the Bloom (1992)
6. Isildur's Bane - The Voyage - A Trip To Elsewhere (1992)
7. IQ- Ever (1993)
8. Ozric Tentacles - Jurassic Shift (1993)
9. Porcupine Tree - Up the Downstairs (1993)
10. Anekdoten - Vemod (1993)
11. Par Lindh Project - Gothic Impressions (1994) *
12. Roine Stolt - The Flower King (1994)
13. Kingston Wall - Kingston Wall II (1994) *
14. Anglagard - Epilog (1994)
15. Spock's Beard - The Light (1995)
16. Nuova Era - ll Passo Del Soldato (1995) *
17. Deus Ex Machina - De Republica *
18. The Flower Kings - Back in the World of Adventures (1995)
19. Echolyn - As the World (1995)
20. Porcupine Tree -The Sky Moves Sideways (1995)
21. After Crying - De Profundis (1996)
22. Porcupine Tree - Signify (1996)
23. Discipline - Unfolded Like Staircase (1997)*
24. Djam Karet - The Devouring (1997)
25. The Flower Kings - Stardust We Are (1997)
26. IQ- Subterannea (1997)
27. Camel - Rajaz (1999)
28. Transatlantic - SMPT:e (2000)
29. Porcupine Tree - In Absentia (2002)
30. The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium (2003) *

Ozric's 1990-91 albums Erpland and Strangeitude do the same job, if not better, and sooner.

Earlier than that with Djam Karet: Reflections from the Firepool (1989).

ll Passo Del Soldato is amazing! You should listen to that ASAP.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 17:11

Nuova Era - I've never heard of this band, RPI? I will check them out at least to see what the fuss it's about.

RPI, and that's their best album. You'll love it.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 18:20
Ozric's 1990-91 albums Erpland and Strangeitude do the same job, if not better, and sooner.

Earlier than that with Djam Karet: Reflections from the Firepool (1989).

ll Passo Del Soldato is amazing! You should listen to that ASAP.

I chose Jurassic Shift partly because it was their first on a major label, the first to make the charts(in the UK)and the first to get them noticed in the US. Imo, it's fantastic. Strangeitude is very good too but not quite as good(imo). I maybe heard Erpland once a long time ago but don't remember it much.

The same goes with the DK. THe prog community went bananas when that came out. It seems to have been a real gamer changer for them and prog at that time also. I'll check out some of the other ones too though.

I'll listen to that Nuova Era on youtube the next time I get a chance. 
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 18:55

I chose Jurassic Shift partly because it was their first on a major label, the first to make the charts(in the UK)and the first to get them noticed in the US. Imo, it's fantastic. Strangeitude is very good too but not quite as good(imo). I maybe heard Erpland once a long time ago but don't remember it much.

Strangeitude came out on I.R.S. Records, too. IMO, it was a big leap forward from Erpland. Strangeitude has a crazy energy, it's infectious. "Sploosh!" hit the top of the UK Indie Chart, as well.

Arborescence completes an unofficial trilogy. I played the hell out of all of them, and Live Underslunky.

Become the Other wasn't as good as the four before it, but they started to recover with Curious Corn.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:28
I'm limiting these to the 1990s
I'll add a few - 
Eris Pluvia "Rings of Earthly Light"  (1991)
Il Castello Di Atlante "Sono lo Il Signore.." (1992)
Red Jasper  Muidsummer Night's Dream" (1993)
Collage - "Moonshine"  and Albion "Survival Games" (1994)
Tempus Fugit ("Tales from a Forgotten World" (1997)
Eloy - "Ocean II" (1998)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:28
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Strangeitude came out on I.R.S. Records, too. IMO, it was a big leap forward from Erpland. Strangeitude has a crazy energy, it's infectious. "Sploosh!" hit the top of the UK Indie Chart, as well.

Arborescence completes an unofficial trilogy. I played the hell out of all of them, and Live Underslunky.

Become the Other wasn't as good as the four before it, but they started to recover with Curious Corn.

I had arborescence at one point. That was really strong too. I kind of lost track of them until rather recently. I rebought strangeitude but I don't remember what else. I got live underslunky recently too. Those were the good old days. It's weird that for a brief period of time probably more people(especially prog fans)knew about Ozric Tentacles than knew about Porcupine Tree. I remember when I saw King Crimson in concert in 1995(in Philly) I even saw a guy wearing an Ozric Tentacles t shirt. Also, this might sound silly but I remember thinking Jurassic Shift was sort of Pat Metheny meets Nirvana! Tongue

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 05 2020 at 19:46
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:46

Also, this might sound silly but I remember thinking Jurassic Shift was sort of Pat Metheny meets Nirvana! Tongue

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 19:47
^ Yeah, exactlly. :D
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 20:39
...back from what? Did prog fans need these albums to tell them prog was back from somewhere or did the music industry need these albums to tell them prog was back (from somewhere)?

I know I'm being a little sh*t.....but I'm bored tonight, so humor me! LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 20:58
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

...back from what? Did prog fans need these albums to tell them prog was back from somewhere or did the music industry need these albums to tell them prog was back (from somewhere)?

LOL

Good point. It never went away for me or for many fans but I think a lot of fans were limited to what they could find in the stores or maybe didn't know the scene still existed or that there was some kind of resurgence. It wasn't all online but I think that's how a lot of people at that time(if not most)reconnected with it. I feel it was more like a rediscovery than a discovery since I don't think there were that many younger folks discovering it for the first time. I'm sure some did but I think it was more like "hey man I just did a search on this world wide web thing and found out that there are newer progressive rock bands out there. Cool man. Plus Joey on aol said the new Yes albulm called talk is pretty cool too. He also told me about this band called Ozzy's Testicles or something. Also, Kirk's beard or something like that. Awesome dude." 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 05 2020 at 20:59
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:18

Here is my list of albums of the so called prog resurgence that said "prog is back." These are in chronological order. 

1. Solaris -1990  (1990)
7. IQ- Ever (1993)
27. Camel - Rajaz (1999)

I could have added a few more and I regret leaving out a few from 1998(I could have added "the visitor" and "Into the electric castle")as well as Dream Theater's "metropolis: scenes from a memory part 2" but I didn't want to go over 30 and felt the last two or three were very important to have on here. Please mention any albums you feel could have been on here or would have made your list. Any other comments of course are welcome. 

I do not claim that this is a definitive or even a comprehensive list. This is just a list of albums based on my experience(including but not limited to listening experience)of albums that excited people back when prog was rediscovered by many online(or even just before online in some cases). 

Key: * Albums I personally haven't heard so opinions and comments on these albums are welcome

A truly excellent list and i know all of them lol, but when did prog go away as i must’ve. Missed It!!!!
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:20
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

1. Solaris -1990  (1990)
7. IQ- Ever (1993)
27. Camel - Rajaz (1999)

I could have added a few more and I regret leaving out a few from 1998(I could have added "the visitor" and "Into the electric castle")as well as Dream Theater's "metropolis: scenes from a memory part 2" but I didn't want to go over 30 and felt the last two or three were very important to have on here. Please mention any albums you feel could have been on here or would have made your list. Any other comments of course are welcome. 

I do not claim that this is a definitive or even a comprehensive list. This is just a list of albums based on my experience(including but not limited to listening experience)of albums that excited people back when prog was rediscovered by many online(or even just before online in some cases). 

Key: * Albums I personally haven't heard so opinions and comments on these albums are welcome

A truly excellent list and i know all of them lol, but when did prog go away as i must’ve. Missed It!!!!

So you were listening to obscure(ie non mainstream prog) in the 80's and 90's? 
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 21:41
I would have loved to see King Crimson's "Thrak" added to the list!   Released 25 April, 1995.  
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2020 at 22:44

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

LOL

Good point. It never went away for me or for many fans but I think a lot of fans were limited to what they could find in the stores or maybe didn't know the scene still existed or that there was some kind of resurgence. It wasn't all online but I think that's how a lot of people at that time(if not most)reconnected with it. I feel it was more like a rediscovery than a discovery since I don't think there were that many younger folks discovering it for the first time. I'm sure some did but I think it was more like "hey man I just did a search on this world wide web thing and found out that there are newer progressive rock bands out there. Cool man. Plus Joey on aol said the new Yes albulm called talk is pretty cool too. He also told me about this band called Ozzy's Testicles or something. Also, Kirk's beard or something like that. Awesome dude." 
Back in 2006, before I joined PA (officially as I lurked for about a year), the place I found music discussions galore was the Zune Social. I had a Zune player (still use it) when it came out and bought music and had a Zune Pass and all that, till the day MS shut it down Cry....But the Social was the place where I talked about music with thousands of people across the world, Progressive Rock was a huge topic. 

The main reason it was so active was soon as you were done making a suggestion you could go to that artists page and download the music, plus they had a "related" button and that took you to other band pages, it would be an endless cycle of discovering music. It truly was a music Social.....so yea I know what you are saying, we were always suggesting new stuff all the time that we found. In the Social you could actually send a song to a member, they could listen and download it or not.
It was the place I discovered Ostrich Testicles and The Pinebeetle Teeth..
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>