Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rush Project Idea

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Will you participate in TOP20 Rush Songs Project?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
14 [46.67%]
8 [26.67%]
8 [26.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush Project Idea
    Posted: October 09 2020 at 06:31
I could do another TOP20 Project if we have enough participants and will get it done in 2-3 months tops.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, check this thread for Genesis Project. We would vote maybe twice a week, each thread open for 2-5 days depending on the number of votes.

In each thread you name three songs, i.e.
1. Closer to the Heart - 4.5 points
2. Vapor Trail - 3.0 points
3. The Fountain of Lamneth - 2.0 points

After we have enough votes, I do the maths and song with the most points wins that poll. Then we move on to the next spot.

Would like to check if there is enough interest to bother. If you participate but miss a few threads, it's no big deal. Worse, if you declare to participate but end up voting for 7 out of 20 threads, that's a bummer then.

Let me know what you think in comments! Beer

Edited by thief - October 09 2020 at 06:32
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 08:30
I'm in! I'd love to see a Rush list like the Genesis one you did. 
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 08:49
I'm in too, thanks. Smile
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 08:57
Genesis is my #2 all time........Guess who's #1??
I'll join this bunch of hooligans, sign me up!!
ClapLOL
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 09:22
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Genesis is my #2 all time........Guess who's #1??
I'll join this bunch of hooligans, sign me up!!
ClapLOL

The Beatles! 

LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 09:28
^ hee hee! Thumbs Up
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 09:46
No, it’s not the kind of topic that would interest me even if It were about one of my favourites. I tend to prefer music topics about artists that don’t make an obvious sport of art (I.e. not about winners or losers, not a competition, but instead are more focused on sharing and discussing our favourites, learning about more music along the way, and coming to appreciate different perspectives).
Just a fanboy passin' through.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 09:56
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

No, it’s not the kind of topic that would interest me even if It were about one of my favourites. I tend to prefer music topics about artists that don’t make an obvious sport of art (I.e. not about winners or losers, not a competition, but instead are more focused on sharing and discussing our favourites, learning about more music along the way, and coming to appreciate different perspectives).

But as a moderator as long as no one is insulting each other or calling names you are ok with it right? Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

But as a moderator as long as no one is insulting each other or calling names you are ok with it right? Wink

Of course, I’m a reluctant moderator at the best, and more commonly the worst, of times.

If it becomes, “You are an idiot for choosing Tom Sawyer over Subdivisions”, then action would be warranted. I prefer Subdivisions, by the way.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 10:20
No, not a band I enjoy really... and I don't think I would spend time for such a thing on any band at the moment.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 15:46
I'm game. It will be interesting to see which gets the most points - a hit or a deep track? Only one way to find out. It's all in fun as long as we do not get overly fan-boyish about our preferences. Besides, seeing a non-favorite get a lot of support may be a good opportunity to see something new about a particular tune. That's one of the reasons we are all on this site, right?
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2020 at 20:39
I'm not into Rush as much as I am Genesis, but I would still be down, because I really enjoy the format.
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 01:05
I would certainly take part Thumbs Up
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 03:54

I can see your point.
In the same time, I feel obliged to defend this format. Many times we see List or Polls that basically boil down to two-three word comments without much reasoning. To me, it's fine too. BUT. The ultimate goal is to incite discussion, because I believe progressive music - especially the big names - generate much passion, some of us listen to them and enjoy it for decades, so I'm sure there is much to be said about their best songs. Knowing what other people like is interesting in itself, but the oldest question in the world - Why? - is what I'm getting at.

The point format was took straight from NBA basketball forum, realgm.com, which specializes in detailed, knowledgeable dissection of the game and its intricacies. Participants of similar projects, i.e. "Best Player of the Year", "Best Defensive Seasons Ever" etc. not only name their picks, but also politely argue why is that the case. I can give you one example of such thread. I must say that, back in the day, I've learnt a lot even about the players/teams I was familiar with.

Hopefully the same will be true with this project. Perhaps other people's picks - and reasoning - will make us appreciate some albums much more than before? Maybe we will find new tastes and quirks to the stuff we already know? Or, even, try the underappreciated records for the first time?

In case of Genesis Project, I listened to Duke for the first time in years, and warmed to it. Also I spent much more time with W&W and ATTW3 than usual, so that's a bonus... aaand I had to check out some songs from Genesis Archives for the first time ever (thanks Cristi LOL)
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 03:58
Participants so far:

1. Argo2112
2. Gentle and Giant
3. Catcher10
4. Progosopher
5. tempest_77
6. richardh
7. ?
8. ?

I see 8 votes, please come forward Wink

15 regulars is my goal, don't be shy and sign up Beer

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 04:33
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Participants so far:

1. Argo2112
2. Gentle and Giant
3. Catcher10
4. Progosopher
5. tempest_77
6. richardh
7. ?
8. ?

I'm with you. Didn't post earlier because I found I was posting too much and taking a short break. Wink
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:02
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Participants so far:

1. Argo2112
2. Gentle and Giant
3. Catcher10
4. Progosopher
5. tempest_77
6. richardh
7. ?
8. ?

I'll vote twice if you like - haha Wink
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 10:32
I'm in.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2020 at 11:39
I am surprised at the relatively low interest in this project, given how many Rush fans we have on the site. It is okay to not like Rush, as it is okay to like them. We members are not the arbiters of taste but we do like to promote what we enjoy as we explore new musics and old favorites.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 11 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

I am surprised at the relatively low interest in this project, given how many Rush fans we have on the site. It is okay to not like Rush, as it is okay to like them. We members are not the arbiters of taste but we do like to promote what we enjoy as we explore new musics and old favorites.

People are scared around here to like Rush...or neo-prog LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>