Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modern/New Prog Poll 3: New Neo Prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: What, out of these, is the best new neo prog album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [19.23%]
7 [26.92%]
2 [7.69%]
4 [15.38%]
1 [3.85%]
3 [11.54%]
2 [7.69%]
1 [3.85%]
1 [3.85%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 11:29
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Originally posted by FatherChristmas FatherChristmas wrote:

Another tough poll! Good job Paul! Ok, The Rutles for me. At least until I can make up my mind.
Which Paul? What good job did Paul do?
Sorry, about that. I thought there were two Pauls here. It must be the uncanny similarities. Wink
You thought my name was Paul? No, it's Mr S. Claus. 
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 11:56

Another tough poll! Good job Paul! Ok, The Rutles for me. At least until I can make up my mind.
Sorry, about that. I thought there were two Pauls here. It must be the uncanny similarities. Wink
It wouldn't be the first time you've been called Paul. Wink
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 12:21

Careful, some people might take S. Claus as too big of a clue.   Not S as in Santa, but S as in the Subordinate Clause. The subordinate clause being dependent on the main, or P as in primary and P as in Paul, clause. ;)

Edited by Logan - October 12 2020 at 12:22
FatherChristmas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FatherChristmas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 12:26
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Careful, some people might take S. Claus as too big of a clue.   Not S as in Santa, but S as in the Subordinate Clause. The subordinate clause being dependent on the main, or P as in primary and P as in Paul, clause. ;)
Did not see that myself, that's all I'm saying. Wink
Have people really been referring to me as Paul??
"Music is the wine that fills the cup of silence" - Robert Fripp
"I am an anti-Christ" - Johnny Rotten
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 12:43
I thought there was a Psychic Paul and just a plain Paul, but I'll call you Thomas before I'll call you Santa. That's too weird. Sorry.

Edited by SteveG - October 12 2020 at 12:45
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 12:48

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Did not see that myself, that's all I'm saying. Wink
Have people really been referring to me as Paul??

If you had seen that, then I would suspect you of being me.

I am no archaeologist, but I think you might be able to dig up a couple of instances in the PA (Paul Archives) fora. One might think Steve’s earlier post indicating one.   Going all Joseph McCarthy, “Are you or have you ever been a Paul or a member of Paul’s party?” — just kidding around, by the way.

Edited by Logan - October 12 2020 at 12:49
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 13:26
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Terms like neo-prog, eclectic prog and crossover prog work fine with me, so yeah, excuse my narrow-mindedness and arrogance, I do not need a term like post-progressive. 

No one said you were arrogant. If you won't use the term, I won't criticise you, I believe you should just enjoy the music and not care too much about terminology. However, please accept that post progressive is a term. Just because it's not on prog archives officially doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I do enjoy music, from various decades, various genres.

But terminology matters, when people come up with their own terms, genre names it only creates confusion. If one disagrees with the PA genre names, go ahead and talk about it, but I do not have to use a term someone else borrowed from God knows where. 

To some people, wikipedia seems more credible than our own PA, it's ridiculous, gives me a headache... 
[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I wasn't trying to be antagonistic. You don't have to use the term if you don't want, but PA isn't the be-all end-all of terms. And to be fair, you brought up the conflict by assuming that FC was being arrogant in using the term (at least, that's how it came off). I was just giving an example of music that is often considered post-progressive. If you read about it, it certainly makes sense. That is not to say that PA categories are wrong. I just wanted to defend the OP considering he wasn't pulling terms out of no where.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 15:07
Eclectic Prog and Crossover Prog were not at the site when I joined and some complained and thought those silly terms when they were implemented and bemoaned the loss of the Art Rock category. I generally don’t mind what terms people use as long as they are willing to define them/ explain so one understands where that person is coming from (I regret certain action I took recently as I don’t think I should care, and really I don’t).   It certainly does help when people agree to the terms to avoid talking at cross-purposes and to make progress in discussion (example, one person defines God as a supernatural conscious being and another defines it as everything in nature/ the cosmos itself, and another as a particular can of Dr. Pepper etc..).   Language is constantly evolving, and part if that is regional (including regions of the internet).   Generally I don’t think it worth getting one’s panties in a twist over.

Edited by Logan - October 12 2020 at 15:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 15:52
Regarding Crossover Prog, I think Kate Bush, ELO, Peter Gabriel, The Moody Blues, Mike Oldfield, Procol Harum, Roxy Music & Supertramp all fit perfectly into that particular genre, although I wouldn't get my panties in a twist if they were listed in another prog sub-genre. The main thing is, they're all included here on ProgArchives. The more the merrier. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 12 2020 at 15:54
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 15:56
Panties in a twist is how you English chaps say it. Americans prefer britches in a wad.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2020 at 16:06
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Panties in a twist is how you English chaps say it. Americans prefer britches in a wad.
We usually say "Knickers in a twist" in England, but I was using Logan's terminology instead. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 01:45

^The term post progressive was in use long before Wikipedia existed. 

I've heard there's such a term as "Post-Progressive", but I wouldn't recognise it if it came up and hit me on the head. Smile
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote essexboyinwales Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2020 at 01:46
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^The term post progressive was in use long before Wikipedia existed. 

I've heard there's such a term as "Post-Progressive", but I wouldn't recognise it if it came up and hit me on the head. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123