Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Going Solo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 13:14
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

@moshkito: Yes, good - and elaborate - points regarding the PF soundtracks. I agree with most (if not all) of what you say, especially also regarding The Wall. This one stands out, also because film and music were so much conceived together. And the music remains good even when it stands alone, although I also regret they didn't keep everything for the album.

As for the PROS AND CONS album, it's not one I listen to much anymore. I thought that EC was a bad match for the album, and someone like Jeff Beck would have been considerably better and he showed it later in AMUSED TO DEATH. EC was too much into the "blues" at that time to be able to get out of them and help make the album better and much more within what RW, or even PF, had done before.

4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCSxYXG4-UGwf6xf5D0Ic0B

The Pros and Cons of Hitch-Hiking still remains my favourite Roger Waters studio album, and here's one of the reasons why...

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 13:32
The only RW solo album I currently have is Pros and Cons. I'm rather lukewarm about it though. There's a few good moments but overall I find it rather boring. 
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 13:44
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

The only RW solo album I currently have is Pros and Cons. I'm rather lukewarm about it though. There's a few good moments but overall I find it rather boring. 

4 stars 1984: Roger Waters - The Pros & Cons of Hitch Hiking - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLikNHjJ_cxzCSxYXG4-UGwf6xf5D0Ic0B

I still rate Roger's Pros & Cons album higher than Pink Floyd's first seven albums, although that maybe has something to do with Linzi Drew hitching a ride on the album cover. Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 23 2023 at 13:45
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 15:06
That was an actual woman? I thought it was just a drawing of a naked blonde chick. ;) 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 23 2023 at 15:27
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

That was an actual woman? I thought it was just a drawing of a naked blonde chick. ;) 

Yes, Penthouse editor and former Page 3 girl Linzi Drew is one of England's best-known glamour models and she once had a relationship with adult-film actor Ben Dover (not his real name). Tongue

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 06:57

I'm curious about your moniker, Cindy.
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 08:30
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As always Pauls ratings are at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things..Wink
PA ratings-

Waters and Geesin 2.83
Pros and Cons 3.07
Radio Kaos 2.97
Amused To Death 3.93
Ca IRA 3.33
Is This the LIfe 3.73
Stravinskys Soldiers Tale 3.09
Final Cut (listed as a Floyd lp) 3.19

There are several lps by Dylan ,Bowie, and Young I would play and own over anything solo by Waters....
now Pink Floyd early lps  would be a different matter. Could care less about his politics ..just talking the music here.

Perhaps.  However, Collage's 2022 album "Over And Out" was not in the Collaborator top 200 albums.  Yet it's #5 in PA ratings...with the most votes of any band in the PA's 2022 top ten.    Does that mean the Collaborator's top 2022 album list is at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things? Wink
PA rating

Nah, just the way of things.  I wholeheartedly agree with your Dylan, Bowie, and Young opinion. Smile 

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 10:05
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

Nah, just the way of things.  

I understand. 
I really liked your last post in the other RW thread, I'll even say, it's one of the very best there. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 10:14

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

As always Pauls ratings are at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things..Wink
PA ratings-

Waters and Geesin 2.83
Pros and Cons 3.07
Radio Kaos 2.97
Amused To Death 3.93
Ca IRA 3.33
Is This the LIfe 3.73
Stravinskys Soldiers Tale 3.09
Final Cut (listed as a Floyd lp) 3.19

There are several lps by Dylan ,Bowie, and Young I would play and own over anything solo by Waters....
now Pink Floyd early lps  would be a different matter. Could care less about his politics ..just talking the music here.

Perhaps.  However, Collage's 2022 album "Over And Out" was not in the Collaborator top 200 albums.  Yet it's #5 in PA ratings...with the most votes of any band in the PA's 2022 top ten.    Does that mean the Collaborator's top 2022 album list is at odds with everyone else and the real nature of things? Wink
PA rating

Nah, just the way of things.  I wholeheartedly agree with your Dylan, Bowie, and Young opinion. Smile 

Well..there are always exceptions and that must be one of them.....funny thing that several lps are rated  higher than that Collage lp yet they are  ranked lower on the 200 list,...how does that work? And I was referring more to Paul's habit of overating everything he likes. Collabs are more than one person and certainly know prog music better than Paul.....no offense intended Paul.
Wink

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 10:34
^ No offence taken. I naturally overrate the albums I like and underrate the albums I dislike. After all, no one's ever going to criticise me for overrating King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant's albums. Right now, I'm busy listening to and overrating all five of Comedy of Errors' excellent albums, when it'd be a Shakespearean tragedy to give them any less than five stars.  Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - March 24 2023 at 10:39
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 11:55
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

^ No offence taken. I naturally overrate the albums I like and underrate the albums I dislike. After all, no one's ever going to criticise me for overrating King Crimson, Van der Graaf Generator or Gentle Giant's albums. Right now, I'm busy listening to and overrating all five of Comedy of Errors' excellent albums, when it'd be a Shakespearean tragedy to give them any less than five stars.  Tongue

Progarchives, perchance you wonder at Paul? 
But wonder on till you feel nothing at all. Paul's ratings make truth plain. 
This Comedy of Errors' album is so beyond excellence that it make reality insane!
And King Crimson albums are not underrated...thus sayeth Paul.
Gentile Giant! Why dust thou bruise me with your medieval delivery? 
And Van der Graaf Generator's electricity schizophrenically from your hollow metal skull
I've listened to you and listened to you! But I hear nothing at all. 
 Berated,  what Paul says is underrated even though it's all for show
...thus sayeth Paul.  And away we doth go! 

...all's well that ends well...especially if your a sperm whale.
and Paul makes me smile...makes it all worth while.

Edited by omphaloskepsis - March 24 2023 at 13:23
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 14:43

LOL

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 14:46

This Comedy of Errors' album is so beyond excellence that it make reality insane!
And Van der Graaf Generator's electricity schizophrenically from your hollow metal skull

Wow!  Thumbs Up  

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 16:47

^ May I quote this poem of yours, Cindy, in the thread I mentioned? Smile

Edited by David_D - March 24 2023 at 18:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2023 at 20:21
^SureWink
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 04:06
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

I really liked your last post in the other RW thread, I'll even say, it's one of the very best there. 
and very bravely too, Cindy  Thumbs Up
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 04:07

^SureWink

thanks  Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 12:03

I'm flattered! You're One of the Few who's ever written me a poem. Smile Heart

3 stars 1983: Pink Floyd - The Final Cut - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFEDE25F4A684239E

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 17:26

4 stars 1986: Roger Waters - When the Wind Blows (soundtrack) - http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLHcPTPk2B4oyVVKA-cNwccoKqQ6h7YGFZ

When the Wind Blows    An animated film about an elderly couple's ultimately doomed attempt to survive a nuclear holocaust. Not a happy families Disney movie then, but ideal subject matter for a gloomy Roger Waters soundtrack. Ouch

Folded Flags - the final cut from the album

David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2023 at 17:39

I'm flattered! You're One of the Few who's ever written me a poem. Smile Heart

And it's quoted and supplied with some nice text in another thread too. Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>