Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which Prog band made the best pop

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Poll Question: Which Prog band made the best pop?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
24 [48.98%]
12 [24.49%]
5 [10.20%]
8 [16.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twosteves Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 16:59
Easily Genesis---they crafted some great pop songs that were almost as good as The Beatles. I'm thinking pop---as in hits. Yes pop songs are mostly cheesy...and there were few hits or great ones.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hercules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 17:13
Camel never did pop and any attempt Yes made was generally very complicated.
The band that once was Genesis made some decent pop singles after they ceased to be a prog band: it's a pity they couldn't write decent prog any more.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 17:27
Genesis from this list. 
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 18:25
Originally posted by Manuel Manuel wrote:

Yes, Camel, Genesis.
This. Handshake
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 18:53
I think they all did at times, even Camel, but none of their best work is in pop; it's in prog. Individually, No Son Of Mine is a brilliant pop composition by Phil Collins. Me and Sarah Jane by Tony Banks is poor pop. Some artists are great at doing anything. David Bowie can do anything. Elton John and ABBA wrote great disco in the early 80's. Roger Waters wrote good pop on The Wall. Comfortably Numb is more David Gilmour than Roger Waters and it shows because Gilmour can't do pop the same way Waters does pop. If you want to call prog popular then plenty of prog bands have written popular songs. But not quite the same thing as pop because pop is more singing than instrumental. Only exception I can think of is Song for Guy, by Elton John.
Spacegod87 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Spacegod87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2020 at 20:43
Genesis.

Say what you want about post 1980 Genesis, but they at least wrote some good pop songs within the pop realm.

Levitating downwards,
atomic feedback scream.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 00:13
For pop? Definitely Genesis Phil Collins era. Yes isn't far behind on their on excursions in the 80's lol. Haven't heard enough later era Camel tbh!

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 00:28
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

For pop? Definitely Genesis Phil Collins era. Yes isn't far behind on their on excursions in the 80's lol. Haven't heard enough later era Camel tbh!

The Single Factor is Camel's pop album. And ICSYHFH. 
Later era they did prog, with mix results, at least for me. 
I need to give Rajaz another chance, it's been a while since I last listened to it properly and I see some users praise it quite a bit. 
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 00:54
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

I need to give Rajaz another chance, it's been a while since I last listened to it properly and I see some users praise it quite a bit. 

Yeah I haven't listened to Rajaz for quite some time but it was surprisingly good.

Out of these bands I take Genesis, not a fan of post 1980 stuff but let's give credit where it's due, they had MASSIVE hits as a trio and will forever be linked with 1980s zeitgeist, I'm sure.

But Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project and ELO made great pop, as well as Queen ofc. The question is if they are to be treated as "prog bands" in the first place.
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:06

I'll take your advice here! Thank you! Tongue

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:08
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

Yeah I haven't listened to Rajaz for quite some time but it was surprisingly good.

Out of these bands I take Genesis, not a fan of post 1980 stuff but let's give credit where it's due, they had MASSIVE hits as a trio and will forever be linked with 1980s zeitgeist, I'm sure.

But Supertramp, Alan Parsons Project and ELO made great pop, as well as Queen ofc. The question is if they are to be treated as "prog bands" in the first place.

I consider Supertramp prog, I would not call them pop though, despite the fact they had some catchy tunes. 
First 3-4 APP albums, definitely prog, at least prog-related for the rest. 
70a ELO is at least prog related. 
Same for Queen. 

Edited by Cristi - November 30 2020 at 01:22
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:19
Originally posted by thief thief wrote:

I think those four bands you mentioned are ideal examples of Crossover Prog, where they're primarily Pop/Rock bands with elements of Prog-Rock.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:32
Genesis>Yes>Camel 

But Queen where the better pop/funk band of the 70`s oh i also love the album "Hot Space" 
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:40
how does Genesis get the most votes here, I don't get it. All their albums from 1981 to Calling All Stations are uneven, the real highs are few, well at least for me. 

If there wasn't the "other" option, I would have voted for Yes. 
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:47
Obviously Genesis, and most recently, Steven Wilson has been making some fantastic pop.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 01:51

how does Genesis get the most votes here, I don't get it. All their albums from 1981 to Calling All Stations are uneven, the real highs are few, well at least for me. 

Radio hits I suppose? I still hear 1980-1986 Genesis in stores to this day. That's All, Misunderstanding, Follow You Follow Me, Invisible Touch, etc.

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 02:08

Radio hits I suppose? I still hear 1980-1986 Genesis in stores to this day. That's All, Misunderstanding, Follow You Follow Me, Invisible Touch, etc.

Most Genesis pop hits have been overplayed indeed, even I overplayed some of them. But all albums from their pop era have some unlistenable songs. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 02:22

Most Genesis pop hits have been overplayed indeed, even I overplayed some of them. But all albums from their pop era have some unlistenable songs. 

Oh I'm not arguing those points my friend, lol. I think it's just logical to default to Genesis on this one given their popularity unfortunately peaked commercially well after the golden prog years! I bet most people that got into Genesis in the 80's wouldn't believe SEBTP was the same band LOL Cool.

Overplayed, absolutely.

Stood the test of time regardless of being overplayed? Also absolutely. It makes me happy to hear Genesis in the grocery store in 2020, even if those songs are older than I am! Tongue

Mirakaze View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Eclectic Prog & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mirakaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 03:41
In my opinion Camel's pop excursions are just kind of forgettable and Yes's pop phase is just downright annoying. Not to say that Genesis's later albums up to We Can't Dance are flawless masterpieces but there's still truly great music to be found on them if you ask me and that's more than I can say for those other two bands.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 30 2020 at 08:46
Am I the only one who cringes when he hears a Genesis song played on a supermarket PA? Lol
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>