Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

For an imaginary party

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: For an imaginary party
    Posted: January 01 2021 at 09:55
My Playlist

So, I couldn't decide what album to listen to one day recently. No one album was represented everything I wanted to hear at the time, so I set out to put compile a playlist. As I got deeper and deeper into it, it grew. It’s pretty long. For a lot of people, Prog is keyboard heavy, but not for me. I clearly tend toward guitar-centric stuff. This gives a good sample of my overall aesthetic. I was only able to draw upon tracks from albums I have downloaded on my computer in uncompressed .AIFF format from CDs I bought, which is only a subset of my album collection. I am not in the practice of downloading mp3s. By and large most tracks are instrumental with a few exceptions. A great deal of care was given to the order of tracks such that the transition from one piece to the next evolved in pleasing fashion and that any changes in mood, tempo or key were not jolting to my ear. I started out with rather rockin’ stuff with an occasional dynamic Jazz Fusion piece thrown in. It eventually drifts toward more atmospheric pieces, and then blends into a Folk section. After the Folk section it re-introduces some more electric pieces and drifts into some Space Rock. It ends with some epics with fantasy lyrics and a free wheeling and energetic instrumental from Atoll. I love playing this during workouts.

Fallen Walls and Pedestals                                Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Light
Tubehead                                                       Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth
five-five-Five                                                       Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar
That Ol' G Minor Thing Again                        Frank Zappa – Guitar
Invisibility Clause                                                Agren/Kaiser/Gunn - Invisible Rays
Gukten Limpo                                                       Henry Kaiser & Ray Russell - Celestial Squid
Ship Ahoy                                                       Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar
Get Moose and Squirrel                                        Henry Kaiser - Lemon Fish Tweezer
Monkey Chant                                                Jade Warrior - Floating World
Please Don't Touch                                        Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch!
Master Builder                                                Gong – You
Oolite Groove                                                       Ozric Tentacles – Curious Corn
Masque d ... ProjeKct Three                                Crimson ProjecKts - Deception of the Thrush
Move It Or Park It                                                Frank Zappa – Guitar
Mechanical Bride                                                Steve Hackett - To Watch the Storms
Easy Money                                                       King Crimson - Lark's Tongues in Aspic
Sanga                                                                Jade Warrior – Eclipse
Anonymous                                                       Focus – In and Out of Focus
Cross-Eyed Mary                                                Jethro Tull – Aqualung
Good Morning, Mr Wonderful                        David Torn – Door X
Sierra Quemada                                                Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir
Shut Up 'n Play Yer Guitar                                Frank Zappa - Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar
Dancing The Paphian Jig                                Alan Licht & Henry Kaiser - Skip To The Solo
Last Train to Istanbul                                        Steve Hackett - Out of the Tunnel's Mouth
Transylvanian Express                                        Steve Hackett - Wild Orchids
Ghost c (part 1) ... ProjeKct Four                        Crimson ProjecKts - Deception of the Thrush
Waterfall                                                                Jade Warrior - Floating World
Red Lotus                                                       Jade Warrior - Floating World
Wind, Sand and Stars                                        Steve Hackett - To Watch the Storms
Republicans                                                       Frank Zappa – Guitar
Cantiga (13th C.)                                                Wolgemut – Danza
The Silk Road                                                       Steve Hackett - To Watch the Storms
The Night Watch                                                King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Bourée                                                                Jethro Tull - Stand Up
Bourée                                                                Steve Hackett – Momentum
Fool and his Bride                                                Jade Warrior – Now
An Unusually Nice Hotel                                Agren/Kaiser/Gunn - Invisible Rays
After The Ordeal                                                Steve Hackett – The Total Experience: Live in Liverpool
Imaginary Dance                                                Edhels - Oriental Christmas
Souvenir                                                                Edhels - Oriental Christmas
Eruption: Tommy (cover)                                Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
Primitive Future                                                Crommie & Havard - Aquarius in Retrograde
Devil Take The Hindmost                                Allan Holdsworth – Metal Fatigue
Under the Eye of the Sun                                Steve Hackett - At the Edge of Light
Schmaltz Waltz                                                Shawn Phillips - Second Contribution
F Sharp Splendor                                                Shawn Phillips - Second Contribution
Lady Eleanor                                                       Lindisfarne - The Peel Sessions
The Ballad of Casey Deiss                                Shawn Phillips - Second Contribution
The Virgin and the Gypsy                                Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings
Hull's Triumph                                                Doug Wood – I am Kiroc
Cheap Day Return                                                Jethro Tull – Aqualung
Sophie's Song                                                Doug Wood – I am Kiroc
Mother Goose                                                       Jethro Tull – Aqualung
Journey                                                                Doug Wood – I am Kiroc
Wond'ring Aloud                                                Jethro Tull – Aqualung
Here Comes the Supernatural Anaesthetist        Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
She said Maybe                                                Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
Four Winds: East                                                Steve Hackett - Beyond the Shrouded Horizon
Hammer in the Sand                                        Steve Hackett – Defector
Rain Flower                                                       Jade Warrior - Floating World
Easty                                                                Jade Warrior - Floating World
Papyrus                                                                Ozric Tentacles – Curious Corn
Cazotten'I                                                       Atoll - L'araignée-Mal
Capitaine Armoire                                                Edhels - Still Dream
Concrete Nebula                                                Bob Bralove & Henry Kaiser - Ultra-Violet Licorice
Like An Arrow                                                       Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir
Dark As The Grave                                                Steve Hackett - Guitar Noir
Le Cimetiere De Plastique                                Atoll - L'araignée-Mal
Carabosse                                                       Univers Zero – 1313
Aquirax Aida                                                       Henry Kaiser - Lemon Fish Tweezer
Dance of the Green Man (Trad.)                        Wolgemut – Danza
The Voice Of Necam                                        Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch!
Icarus Ascending                                                Steve Hackett - Please Don't Touch!
One Time                                                       King Crimson – Thrak
Exiles                                                                King Crimson – Lark’s Tongues in Aspic
Red Queen                                                       Bob Bralove & Henry Kaiser - Ultra-Violet Licorice
Spectral Refractions                                        Bob Bralove & Henry Kaiser - Ultra-Violet Licorice
Fast Crystals                                                       Bob Bralove & Henry Kaiser - Ultra-Violet Licorice
Ghost a (part 2) ... ProjeKct Four                        Crimson ProjecKts - Deception of the Thrush
Fall From Grace                                                Bralove/Kaiser/Muir - Positively Space Music
Spung!                                                                Bralove/Kaiser/Muir - Positively Space Music
Astronauts Nightmare                                        Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye
A Sprinkling Of Clouds                                        Gong – You
The Mincer                                                       King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black
Countenance                                                       Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye
The Nine Lifeless Daughters of the Sun        Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye
Fly On A Windshield                                        Steve Hackett - Live at the Royal Albert Hall
Warp Oversight                                                Nektar - Journey to the Center of the Eye
Return to Station B                                                Crimson ProjeKct Two – Vector Patrol
Sunrise Redeemer                                                Frank Zappa – Guitar
Brave Light Of Sun                                                David Torn – Door X
Miso vs. Space Pirates                                        Bralove/Kaiser/Muir - Positively Space Music
Toxicological Whispering                                Amon Düül II - Tanz Der Lemming
Mire in the Fountain                                        Bralove/Kaiser/Muir - Positively Space Music
Pale Gallery                                                       Amon Düül II - Yeti
Space Groove II                                                Crimson ProjecKts - Space Groove
Meander                                                                Ozric Tentacles – Curious Corn
Les Robots Debiles                                        Atoll - L'araignée-Mal
Fountain Of Salmacis                                        Steve Hackett – Watcher of the Skies: Genesis Revisited
Three-Horned Dragon King                                Jade Warrior – Released
White Mountain                                                Genesis – Trespass
The Lamia                                                       Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
Tigermoth                                                       Steve Hackett - Spectral Mornings
Cazotten'I                                                       Atoll - L'araignée-Mal
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 10:16
Huge list!! Very nice, did you pick each one? I've kinda stopped doing that and now simply rely on Shuffle....On my media player, still use a ZuneHD connected to my system, I will remove all artists then load up a new set of say 100 albums and just hit shuffle.
The difference is I don't really know what is coming up next...
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2021 at 12:04
Er...that's a long party
Big smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 08:18
Hi,

Yeah ... a long party where one really needs a lot of spliffs to get through ... and just love it to the end!

Too much Steve Hackett though ... cut that in a third and the list will be better ... it would be more enjoyable to me if there were no "repeat" artists, and the music takes center stage ... not one person!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 08:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Er...that's a long party
Big smile
Exactly, a bit too long I would say LOL
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 08:23
are we partying for three days? 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:52
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Yeah ... a long party where one really needs a lot of spliffs to get through ... and just love it to the end!

If I were you, old boy, I would seriously consider coming off that stuff.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2021 at 10:54
Rof!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2021 at 11:28
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Hi,

If I were you, old boy, I would seriously consider coming off that stuff.

Hi,

Dude ... you missed the point ...

I'M A VETERAN ... I quit all that stuff at least 40 years ago ... where have you been? You might have been able to tell that by the wide varied of music I discuss and write about ... it might have been too difficult to put together film, theater, literature, music, and more arts ... together ... as a meaningful show for our lives, which the dope has a tendency to dump after you come down. But then, I was already "formulated" in the arts, so I knew the dope was temporary! And I find it sad to see everyone around me have to go to the store to get another something to sniff on ... saddest thing I have ever seen in my life!

Edited by moshkito - January 03 2021 at 11:31
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 20:57
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Huge list!! Very nice, did you pick each one? I've kinda stopped doing that and now simply rely on Shuffle....On my media player, still use a ZuneHD connected to my system, I will remove all artists then load up a new set of say 100 albums and just hit shuffle.
The difference is I don't really know what is coming up next...

I picked each one, carefully ordering them to see which transitions worked. I don’t even really know how to go about what you’re talking about. I’m out of step with the times. Happy belated birthday by the way.

A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 21:09

Hi,

Too much Steve Hackett though ... cut that in a third and the list will be better ... it would be more enjoyable to me if there were no "repeat" artists, and the music takes center stage ... not one person!

No repeat artists would be a good approach to take. At least for a mammoth playlist like this I would need to transfer more albums to computer from CD and use up memory than I would like, or start accumulating an mp3 library. As for less Steve Hackett, that sounds like an impossible New Year’s resolution.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2021 at 21:14
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

are we partying for three days? 

We are partying for three days and three nights. Fret not, the women will come...I think.
 Post Reply Post Reply