Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Who is the most underrated prog rock guitarist?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 17:31
Edgar Froese.

No, really. A lot of people don't know he was a guitarist who formed a psych rock band called The Ones that dates back to '65. After they disbanded, Edgar embarked on a different musical path that was the result of crossing paths with Salvador Dali. Tangerine Dream goes back to '67, and back then they sounded nothing like what people are familiar with.

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 06 2021 at 21:13
^Interesting and valid suggestion (Edgar Froese), thanks!Thumbs Up
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Paulo V View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulo V Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 03:20
Just to add up another couple of Gems:  Randy Kalifornia and Phil Keaggy

Always taking the point with the dawn patrol fraternity...
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 04:33
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Speaking of speed, how about speed AND complexity AND flavour? Mitch Watkins has it all in this solo:

Wow, nice call. BaldJean is the only other member here I'd expect to ref the Mitch. I love that line-up. Clap

Videos like this one are one of the reasons why Jean and I wanted Barbara Denerlein added to jazz-rock/fusion. Her string of seven albums from "Orgelspiele" released in 1984 to "Outhipped" in 1999, six of which included Mitch Watkins, that in our opinion all clearly were jazz-rock/fusion, was another reason. A third reason was that she clearly is an innovator with her use of MIDI-technology and the way she plays the bass pedals.

Here another smoking track of her featuring Watkins:

The jazz-rock/fusion team did however not agree with us.

Edited by BaldFriede - January 09 2021 at 04:40

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lostrom Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:14
Mike Oldfield?
lostrom
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 06:27
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Videos like this one are one of the reasons why Jean and I wanted Barbara Denerlein added to jazz-rock/fusion. Her string of seven albums from "Orgelspiele" released in 1984 to "Outhipped" in 1999, six of which included Mitch Watkins, that in our opinion all clearly were jazz-rock/fusion, was another reason. A third reason was that she clearly is an innovator with her use of MIDI-technology and the way she plays the bass pedals.

This clip is brilliant too, thanks for sharing.  Rick Keller plays a mean saxophone too where Andy Shepard was kind of off colour in that Sonny Rollins track performance. Of course, Barbara Dennerlein is always, unfailingly brilliant. 

I can see why the JR-F team wouldn't have accepted her.  I think they have a specific JR-F sound in mind for PA and she doesn't fit that.  I had suggested Ilayaraja for Indo-prog/Raga Rock as a long shot suggestion (he released two non-film all instrumental albums) and he was rejected too.  I guess he didn't fit the Indo-prog 'sound', whatever that maybe, though, um, he is Indian.  It's alright.  I am sure she has a home on JMA. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 07:15
I mentioned Andy Latimer before but I thought of another one and that is Mike Holmes.

If we can add more fusion oriented artists I will say Scott Mcgill.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 09 2021 at 07:16
Enchant X View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enchant X Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 13:36
The answer to this question comes easy for me ... Kerry Livgren from Kansas. ever seen him live you would agree.Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - January 09 2021 at 13:36
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 14:23
John Mitchell and Mike Holmes are certainly underrated in my opinion, and have both already been mentioned here, but someone who hasn't been mentioned thus far is Per Nilsson of Kaipa.

Here's a short sample of his talents:

Smile
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 14:24
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

John Mitchell and Mike Holmes are certainly underrated in my opinion, and have both already been mentioned here, but someone who hasn't been mentioned thus far is Per Nilsson of Kaipa.

He's also in a metal band called Scar Symmetry. Nice guitar work there as well. Tongue

Edited by Cristi - January 09 2021 at 14:25
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote yam yam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 15:00
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

He's also in a metal band called Scar Symmetry. Nice guitar work there as well. Tongue
Agreed! The harsh vocals spoil that band's music for me though.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 15:02
Originally posted by yam yam yam yam wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Agreed! The harsh vocals spoil that band's music for me though.

one of the few melodic death metal bands I enjoy. Big smile
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 15:15
The most underrated Prog-Rock guitarist will most likely be a guitarist I've never heard of. Smile
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 16:41
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The most underrated Prog-Rock guitarist will most likely be a guitarist I've never heard of. Smile

That would probably be Roman Bunka. Jean posted two songs of his first solo album on page 1 of this thread. Here are two other great tracks on which he plays, one more from his great first solo album, the other from the
Embryo album "Steig Aus!":

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 18:21

Mitch positively shreds in that clip! Clap

In case people don't know, Mitch and Ronnie Burrage (drums) are Americans. Both had a couple albums released on the German jazz label Enja.

That does surprise me, because the Chick Corea Elektric Band are in the Archives under JR/F and a lot of CCEB sounds like contemporary jazz, which is what I assume the PA team considers Dennerlein.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 19:10
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Mitch positively shreds in that clip! Clap

In case people don't know, Mitch and Ronnie Burrage (drums) are Americans. Both had a couple albums released on the German jazz label Enja.

That does surprise me, because the Chick Corea Elektric Band are in the Archives under JR/F and a lot of CCEB sounds like contemporary jazz, which is what I assume the PA team considers Dennerlein.

Yes. Their first self-titled album sounds quite similar to Barbara Dennerlein's album "Hot Stuff".

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 20:32

Yes. Their first self-titled album sounds quite similar to Barbara Dennerlein's album "Hot Stuff".

I guess Chick Correa being part of RTF is considered relevant.  It shouldn't be, but it is. 
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2021 at 22:44
All the more reason Chick should have his own entry here. His mid-70s and early 80s output certainly qualifies him, moreso than Elektric Band. 

But we're talking guitarists. I love Allan Holdsworth, who is only maybe slightly underrated here (his solo output certainly is), but is certainly less well-known than he should be to the masses.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 00:35
Ron Jarzombek.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2021 at 02:31
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

Mike Oldfield?

valid suggestion for sure. Oldfield has created his own style with one of the most used instruments in existence. No mean achievement. Who else can we truly say has done that?
Brian May springs to mind. Others?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>