Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Chick Corea Memorium Poll #1: Return to Forever
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Chick Corea Memorium Poll #1: Return to Forever

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Poll Question: Which is your favorite RTF album?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [33.33%]
7 [15.56%]
1 [2.22%]
21 [46.67%]
1 [2.22%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chick Corea Memorium Poll #1: Return to Forever
    Posted: February 11 2021 at 21:19
The first in a series of polls I'll make in honor of Chick and his recent death (this one should be the least controversial). Please discuss why whatever you chose stands out as your favorite RTF record. I have an inkling that Romantic Warrior will win, though their live records are also really phenomenal. Returns is awesome, and Mothership also has Frank Gambale (in place of Al or Bill) and Jean-Luc Ponty, who should be of NO MYSTERY to PA members (had to evoke Paul there for a second). 

Hats off to the space man, may he live on in the great Scientologist mothership, or whatever. 

P.S. Not including Return to Forever (the album) and Light as A Feather as those are more like Chick solo albums. They will be included in another poll.

Edited by Awesoreno - February 11 2021 at 21:22
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 22:42
Hymn
Warrior
Mothership

But other than Musicmagic (and Live 78 which I've never heard) these are all basically excellent. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 22:58
We all know RM is going to get all the votes, so I went with WHIKYB?

I love that record.

RIP Chick, one of my biggest jazz fusion influences. He has now returned to forever.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Progosopher View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progosopher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2021 at 23:43
I am the first to vote for Romantic Warrior? It was one of my first Jazz albums, and acquired during a period of major musical exploration for me. It was this same period of time I solidified my taste for progressive rock as well as classical, with a little world music via Ravi Shankar thrown in. My memorial listen right now is Five Peace Band with John McLaughlin. I have been collecting a lot of Chick recently, and he has been very active. Terrible loss.
The world of sound is certainly capable of infinite variety and, were our sense developed, of infinite extensions. -- George Santayana, "The Sense of Beauty"
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 01:12
Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

P.S. Not including Return to Forever (the album) and Light as A Feather as those are more like Chick solo albums. They will be included in another poll.

I think you're wrong (especially about LAAF), but it's your right to be wrongTongueWink
They desrrved to be here

Hymn for me.
let's just stay above the moral melee
prefer the sink to the gutter
keep our sand-castle virtues
content to be a doer
as well as a thinker,
prefer lifting our pen
rather than un-sheath our sword
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 02:26
Romantic Warrior
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 03:43
Did not know he died. Very sad. A big loss for music. None of these albums are my favorites. His first two with Mad Hatter are on the top of my list.   
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 04:44
WhereHaveIKnownYouBefore.jpg
b_olariu View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote b_olariu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:06
R.I.P. - excellent musician, old school never dies, he was a romantic warriorSmile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:17
Hymn.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:40
Romantic Warrior was one of my first forays into the fusion world in the mid 70's. I was hooked after hearing it, and my passion for jazz and fusion has remained, forty-five years later. So, I'll vote Romantic Warrior.

The Chick Corea Elektric Band is also one of my favorite projects by Chick. I was lucky to see this incredible band on the Beneath the Mask  tour. A mind blowing experience. Here at PA the Elektric Band it is overlooked and rated poorly. Alas.

Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:44
A tribute to a great composer and keybord grand master. It's hard to choose between his albums, since they all have the magic of his genius. I voted for Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy, but any of them that wins is fine with me. May he rest in peace.
Shadowyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Shadowyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 06:48
Romantic Warrior was my oldest jazz rock/fusion companion, so my vote goes to it/him.

R.I.P. Chick Corea
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:19
'Hymn of the 7th Galaxy'...the 'edgiest' imho...though most here will vote for Romantic Warrior ,the more accessible one.
Also the first 2 should also be here ....just because.   Smile
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 10:36
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

The Chick Corea Elektric Band is also one of my favorite projects by Chick. I was lucky to see this incredible band on the Beneath the Mask  tour. A mind blowing experience. Here at PA the Elektric Band it is overlooked and rated poorly. Alas.

The Elektric Band is one of my favorites also.  Some of their stuff I like better than RTF.  I saw them in Minneapolis MN in around 1989.  The opening act was The Crusaders.  At PA I'm not surprised that the  Elektric Band gets a 'cool' response.  As the Elektric Band is more associated with 'smooth jazz' most of the time.  (BTW I love 'smooth jazz').

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 11:00
Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

My choice also.

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Awesoreno View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Awesoreno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:08
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by Awesoreno Awesoreno wrote:

I think you're wrong (especially about LAAF), but it's your right to be wrongTongueWink
They desrrved to be here

Hymn for me.

Ok, Light As a Feather IS attributed to Chick Corea & Return to Forever. However, the only member other than Chick featured on those two albums is Stanley Clarke. To me, these entries are really transitional albums from his solo material from the late 60s into this new era of fusion. And while they are certainly fusion records, I wouldn't call them jazz-rock fusion. Because of their difference compared to the other entries, however, I am going to include them in another poll of his earlier material. Though now that I think about it, they don't really fit with his sort of experimental modal/free jazz stuff from that time either... 

Regardless, I'm sticking to my initial intuition. This is not to say that they aren't GOOD enough to be listed with the rest. They are. Especially Feather. That album is not rated highly enough on this site. I adore that record. Playing 500 Miles High in college was super fun for my jazz combo.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:28
Romantic Warrior is one of the great fusion albums of the 70s. Corea, Stanley Clarke, Al Di Meola, Lenny White -- what a band!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 13:39
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Originally posted by dwill123 dwill123 wrote:

My choice also.

Me too!Clap

progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2021 at 14:01
Romantic Warrior
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>