FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborators' Top Albums of 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2020
    Posted: February 27 2022 at 11:35
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

2021 list coming soon?

yes

Awesome!
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 10:58
Originally posted by tempest_77 tempest_77 wrote:

2021 list coming soon?

yes
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 10:57
2021 list coming soon?
I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 16:07
Better late than never indeed Approve. The album belongs here. Thanks!
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2022 at 14:43
Originally posted by someone_else someone_else wrote:

I did not have the time - or the mind - to listen to as much albums as I should want. Yet I came to a chosen dozen1, all worthy albums that would appear on my list in any year. 

[...]

1 Thirteen actually, but Dyble Longdon's Between a Breath and a Breath is not filed on PA, so I could not include it. Otherwise, it would have reached #2 or #3.

Well I added this (great) album a few weeks ago, under the Judy Dyble discography, where it belongs (I think).

Better late than never... Wink
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2021 at 09:30
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

My number 1 didn't make the top 50....so there's that.  LOL  Thanks for putting this together Ian and thanks to all the collabs for putting together their lists.  Zopp came at 34 on my list, but that said it is a very good album.  I did have Wobbler at #2 so I at least got that right.  Thumbs Up
My #1 finished at #69, my #2 finished at #10, my #3 finished at #2..........Over all my list did decent. But the results certainly, as many state, is a very eclectic not very accessible music list, nothing you would play at a party LOL
... my Top 10 list:

1. The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of the Truth (#69)
2. The Flower Kings - Islands (#10)
3. Wobbler - Dwellers Of the Deep (#2)
4. Fish - Weltschmerz (#11)
5. Mark Kelly - Marathon (#17)
6. Marco Minnemann - McStine & Minnemann II (#136)
7. The Tangent - Auto Reconnaissance (#42)
8. Neal Morse - Sola Gratia (#104) 
9. Haken - Virus (#53)
10. Rick Wakeman - The Red Planet (#32)

Great list. 
The Flower Kings, Fish, Marco Minneman, Haken, and Rick Wakeman made my top 25. 

My top 10-

1) Logos- "Sadako e Le Mille Gru Di Carta"  (#3) 
2 ) Wobbler- "Dwellers of the Deep"   (#2) 
3) Nodo Gordiano- "Sonnar" (#86)
4) La Maschera Di Cera - "S.E.I." (#9)
5) Witchwood- "Before the Winter"  ( not listed)
6) Ellesmere-  "Wyrd  (#165)
7) Ubi Maior- "Bestie, Uomini e dei" (#254)
8) Pure Reason Revolution- "Eupnea" (#63)
9) King Gorm- "King Gorm" (#201)
10) Le Grand Sbam- "Fuvent" (#19)

Edited by omphaloskepsis - April 25 2021 at 09:34
GolfBoi View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GolfBoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 22:01
Great list! Added all these releases to my Spotify playlist! Clap
Zeph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zeph Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2021 at 10:31
Thanks for this! I’ve discovered many albums through these lists.

As expected, the list has many lesser known albums, but I like that. If I want to look for albums that a higher number of people has rated I just use the PA ratings.

The top albums weren’t that obscure and I’d put many of them up there myself. Thirlwell was the only unknown to me.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 17:18
Thirlwell is the Foetus guy but he's with Simon Steensland here, full on Univers Zero.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2021 at 16:16
Just seeing this now! Glad to see Zopp hit #1. Though I haven’t really followed much prog lately, I’m happy for Zopp because somehow I’m the one Ryan sent a PM to originally to ask if he could be added to the site (this was before his album was released), because I was still listed as the Canterbury team lead on the Canterbury page (I haven’t been active on a team for years). But I listened to his sample and knew it was the real deal. The real team evidently thought so too. Looking forward to his next album (apparently it’s been finished for a while now).

Surprised to see a Thirlwell project so high on the list - the Foetus guy? This I need to hear.
Anyway, nice checking in with you all.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
jayem View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jayem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 04 2021 at 17:21
100% congrats to Zopp and also the other honored ones, it's very good news bands like this can be prog (and music) references !

Edited by jayem - March 04 2021 at 17:21
bartymj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bartymj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 06:08
Really great list, and good to see a few in there that I haven't listened to yet (even though I'm up to about 60 from 2020!), so thanks to those that put this together :-)

Seeing all the comments about how there aren't enough collaborators that get involved in this, is it worth some fresh victims, sorry members, involvement? Not necessarily suggesting myself, if anyone's ever read one of my reviews they're a bit rubbish, but there must be some keen 'new' members out there that can join the experienced "old guard" - this forum is quite active at least!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2021 at 02:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

My #1 finished at #69, my #2 finished at #10, my #3 finished at #2..........Over all my list did decent. But the results certainly, as many state, is a very eclectic not very accessible music list, nothing you would play at a party LOL
Not that I really care, it just shows the individuality of many members, for sure not having full participation probably hurts some 2020 releases.

Thanks as usual Ian for all great work compiling our votes, major undertaking.

Cheers!
I could see as the contributions came in what the likely albums were that going to feature highly in the list. By the same token, I could see that contributing my own list was almost a token effort, because there was so little crossover with the albums already popular across the previous contributors. It’s a shame there were not more contributions, but it’s still a very interesting list, even if a lot isn’t necessarily to my taste. I can see this being a helpful list for a lot of people who want to further explore 2021. I think it’s great how much trouble Ian has gone to, to do this - so bouquet snd not brickbats are definitely in order. Thanks again!

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 20:48

My number 1 didn't make the top 50....so there's that.  LOL  Thanks for putting this together Ian and thanks to all the collabs for putting together their lists.  Zopp came at 34 on my list, but that said it is a very good album.  I did have Wobbler at #2 so I at least got that right.  Thumbs Up
Not that I really care, it just shows the individuality of many members, for sure not having full participation probably hurts some 2020 releases. I'll show my Top 10 list:

1. The Pineapple Thief - Versions Of the Truth (#69)
2. The Flower Kings - Islands (#10)
3. Wobbler - Dwellers Of the Deep (#2)
4. Fish - Weltschmerz (#11)
5. Mark Kelly - Marathon (#17)
6. Marco Minnemann - McStine & Minnemann II (#136)
7. The Tangent - Auto Reconnaissance (#42)
8. Neal Morse - Sola Gratia (#104) 
9. Haken - Virus (#53)
10. Rick Wakeman - The Red Planet (#32)

Thanks as usual Ian for all great work compiling our votes, major undertaking.

Cheers!
Piros7 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Piros7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 14:02
thank you so much for this great list - really very helpful!
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote earlyprog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2021 at 05:51
Bravo to Ian and all who contributed in the making of the TA 2020 list.

A year that yielded fewer top notch albums than the last couple of years, IMO, but nonetheless provided a very enjoyable listening experience, and continues to do so as I'm close to 100 albums behind my usual yearly listens to new releases which is around 350 before I feel I have satisfied my need for new music. 

My own top 20 contains 5 of the entries in PA's top 20.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 13:52
Wow! Didn't expect that upset! Good list overall though.

Islands - The Flower Kings ended up being my surprise album of the year, really came into my life at the right time and really resonated with me. First Flower Kings album I ever enjoyed. My next 4 would be some combo of Virus, Dwellers, K.G., and either Motorpsycho, Pain of Salvation or Caligulas Horse 

Edited by dougmcauliffe - February 27 2021 at 13:53
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 10:19
Great work Ian!!!!  Thanks for putting this together!

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 10:02

my number one did not make the list either, I'm not surprised, Conception is so overlooked it's rather ridiculous.
I'm happy Fates Warning made the list. Also Psychotic Waltz. 
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 08:37
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>