Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Collaborators' Top Albums of 2020

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tapfret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Collaborators' Top Albums of 2020
    Posted: February 25 2021 at 22:05
Welcome to the 2020 Progarchives.com Collaborators' Album of the Year

#48-t

Kansas - The Absence Of Presence

Symphonic Prog

#48-t

Ulver - Flowers of Evil

Post Rock/Math Rock

#48-t

Arnaud Bukwald - La Marmite Cosmique Six

Eclectic Rock

#44-t

David Minasian - The Sound of Dreams

Symphonic Prog

#44-t

Gazpacho - Fireworker

Crossover Prog

#44-t

Isobar - Isobar

Eclectic Prog

#44-t

Hedvig Mollestad Trio- Ekhidna

Heavy Prog

#42-t

Neptunian Maximalism - Éons

RIO/Avant Prog

#42-t

The Tangent - Auto Reconnaissance

Eclectic Prog

#40-t

CHROMB! - Le livre des merveilles

RIO/Avant Prog

#40-t

Three Colours Dark- The Science of Goodbye

Crossover Prog

John Zorn - Baphomet

RIO/Avant Rock

Jargon - The Fading Thought

Crossover Prog

Behold The Arctopus - Hapeleptic Overtrove

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Enslaved - Utgard

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

Psychotic Waltz - The God-Shaped Void

Progressive Metal

#t-33

Vespero - The Four Zoas

Psychedelic/Space Rock

#t-33

Magenta - The Masters of Illusion

Neo-Prog

Rick Wakeman - Red Planet

Symphonic Prog

#29-t

Hail Spirit Noir - Eden In Reverse

Experimental/Post Metal

#29-t

Dai Kaht - Dai Kaht II

Zeuhl

#29-t

Horse Lords - The Common Task

RIO/Avant Prog

Tigran Hamasyan - The Call Within

Jazz/Rock Fusion

Fates Warning - Long Day Good Night

Progressive Metal

Weserbergland - Am Ende der Welt

Krautrock

Homunculus Res - Andiamo in giro di notte e ci consumiamo nel fuoco

Canterbury Scene

Lunatic Soul - Through Shaded Woods

Crossover Prog

#21-t

Wyxz - ODYX

RIO/Avant Prog

#21-t

Abel Ganz - The Life of the Honey Bee and Other Moments of Clarity

Neo-Prog

#21-t

Trees Speak - Ohms

Krautrock

Sanguine Hum - A Trace of Memory

Neo-Prog

Le Grand Sbam - Furvent

RIO/Avant Prog

Anna Von Hausswolff - All Thoughts Fly

Crossover Prog

Marathon - Mark Kelly's Marathon

Crossover Prog

#15- t

Gungfly - Alone Together

Crossover Prog

#15-t

The Reticent - The Oubliette

Experimental/Post Metal

Motorpsycho - The All is One

Eclectic Prog

Oranssi Pazuzu - Mestarin kynsi

Experimental/Post Metal

Thy Catafalque - Naiv

Experimental/Post Metal

Fish - Weltschmerz

Neo-Prog

The Flower Kings - Islands

Symphonic Prog

La Maschera di Cera - S.E.I.

Rock Progressivo Italiano   

Ring van Mobius - The 3rd Majesty

Symphonic Prog

Magick Brother and Mystic Sister - Magick Brother and Mystic Sister

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Fren - Where Do You Want Ghosts to Reside

Eclectic Prog

Pendragon - Love Over Fear

Neo-Prog

JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland - Oscillospira

RIO/Avant-Prog

Logos - Sadako e le Mille Gru di Carta

Rock Progressivo Italiano

The 2020 Prog Archives Collaborator's Runner-Up

Wobbler - Dwellers Of The Deep

Symphonic Prog

Three years after From Silence to Somewhere,Norway's Wobbler comes up just short of having two consecutive albums taking the PA Collaborators top prize. Dwellers of the Deep continues the band's tradition of long symphonic tracks of dynamic sonic and rhythmic vectors that harkens to the spirit of classic-era Yes.

...And The 2020 Prog Archives Collaborator's Album of the Year!

Zopp - Zopp

Canterbury Scene

For the second time in three years the top spot is taken by an artist's debut album. England's East Midlands is home to multi-instrumentalist Ryan Stevenson and percussionist Andrea Moneta, the creators of Canterbury Nouveau project, Zopp. The self-titled debut sees Stevenson and Moneta, along with several good friends that includes modern progressive fixture Andy Tillson co-producing and mastering the album, create a masterpiece worthy of greats like Egg, Supersister and Caravan.

"...This is a stunning debut that proudly revives the fiery passionate of the classic Canterbury years with lots of juicy extra touches to keep this from being a hero worshipping folly...." -siLLy puPPy, PA Collaborator

"...There is a simple complexity, with lead roles being switched between different instruments and it certainly never sounds as if this is a project but more as if it were a full band..." -kev rowland, PA Special Collaborator

Thank you to all the participating voters.

The list is compiled from votes placed by Progarchives.com collaborators, prog-reviewers, and VIP forum users.

Here is the complete vote/score table. Voters were asked to provide a list of 20 albums. 20 points awarded for first place, 19 for second place..... 1 point for twentieth. I was hoping to have the full list display on the forum, but the formatting angered WebWiz. So alternatively I was able to export to PDF which is available for download here

Edited by Tapfret - February 26 2021 at 12:44
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 13:42
Excellent work, thanks again! 

BeerClap

Edited by Nogbad_The_Bad - February 26 2021 at 13:43
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 14:25
great work! Clap
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 15:32
Great job as always! Clap

It's nice to see a couple debut albums rank so high: Zopp and Fren

Interesting results. A lot of variety with a mix of old veteran acts and newer acts.

----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DamoXt7942 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 16:25
Excellent! Thanks for your great work Ian, and Zopp! Clap
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 26 2021 at 23:08
I'm pretty sure I've never voted for an album so highly that became the #1 album of the year. So I'm glad you all are coming around to my taste. Wink
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PhideauxFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 00:12
Well, I'm ok with Gazpacho, Enslaved, Fates Warning, Lunatic Soul, Sanguine Hum and some other artists

And I can't stand anymore The Flower Kings, many Italian bands and 70's old-fashioned music played by bands like Wobbler. 

And no post-rock in that top. A pity ! Ouch
A Crimson Mellotron View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote A Crimson Mellotron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 00:53
I would have had Pendragon and The Flower Kings higher in my list; But Ring van Mobius above TFK? I don't get it. Anyways, cool to see that Zopp album being chosen the best album of 2020, maybe I should give it a spin soon.Big smile
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 01:40
Nicely done! Still have to explore a great number of albums from this top 50.

And, is it me or is the top 10 very heavily leaning on the retro side of prog?
(not that I complain, I especially like the Logos album...)

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:08
Originally posted by A Crimson Mellotron A Crimson Mellotron wrote:

But Ring van Mobius above TFK? I don't get it. 

well it seems then that more people enjoyed Ring van Mobius than TFK or they had it higher in their lists. 
TBH, I agree and I am not surprised at all. 
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:13
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

well it seems then that more people enjoyed Ring van Mobius than TFK or they had it higher in their lists. 

There are two issues with this.

Firstly, a relatively few number of collaborators vote, so the votes aren’t really particularly representative of a larger music listening public.

Secondly, this is skewed even further by the fact that those collaborators who do vote are very much into the more niche or acquired tastes of prog. There are not many left like me who bother voting and enjoy more, ahem, accessible music.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rivertree Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:16
Excellent job, Ian Clap
Zopp and Fren deserve it, congratulations
and I find this a good mix of eccentric and mainstream prog ...

Edited by Rivertree - February 27 2021 at 02:19

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:23
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Firstly, a relatively few number of collaborators vote, so the votes aren’t really particularly representative of a larger music listening public.

Secondly, this is skewed even further by the fact that those collaborators who do vote are very much into the more niche or acquired tastes of prog. There are not many left like me who bother voting and enjoy more, ahem, accessible music.

You are probably right.
I just wanted to say that I'm not surprised by that and that I agree. 

I don't mean to upset anyone, it's all I do these days it seems. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:39
Originally posted by PhideauxFan PhideauxFan wrote:

Well, I'm ok with Gazpacho, Enslaved, Fates Warning, Lunatic Soul, Sanguine Hum and some other artists

And I can't stand anymore The Flower Kings, many Italian bands and 70's old-fashioned music played by bands like Wobbler. 

And no post-rock in that top. A pity ! Ouch

There was post rock in my list. Unfortunately, relatively few collaborators submit lists, which means less variety. This list essentially pulls together all the common elements from the contributing lists, and that leads to a fairly middle-of-the-road selection. That’s not to say these aren’t good or great albums, but I don’t really think it’s particularly indicative of what the contributors prefer, so much as whatever crossover there is.

I have 18 of the albums in this list, but only 3 were in the list I submitted. I think it’s probably still a pretty good indication of what a lot of people who visit this forum will like, as it tends to the more mainstream.

I actually found that I enjoyed more albums that do not appear in PA on 2020 than do, so even my own contributing list was not a true reflection of my favourite albums from last year, so much as what was left of those once I removed all the ones that don’t feature on PA.

I have no problem with this list, though, because it’s not meant to reflect my tastes. And I actually think it’s a pretty good list of what was good last year - even though there’s a fair few albums in there that are not particularly to my taste.

richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:42
I'm definitely more into the 'safe' end of prog but ended up putting The Flower Kings further down my list than expected. I really enjoy the second disc but maybe got a bit bored with the first. Still its a very strong album.
I am a little surprised that I was the only one to vote for the Lazuli album as for me its obviously their masterpiece. I also love Deep Purple's Whoosh! and Don Airey is clearly channelling a lot of the spirit of Jon Lord with a touch of Keith Emerson. Anyway its a very good list , I will certainly buy that Zopp album and have a good listen. The number of collaborators voting for it was considerably more than for any other album so that must mean something. I'm not a great fan of Canterbury per se so have to be dragged kicking and screaming towards that particular sub genre Wink  
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

I'm definitely more into the 'safe' end of prog but ended up putting The Flower Kings further down my list than expected. I really enjoy the second disc but maybe got a bit bored with the first. Still its a very strong album.
I am a little surprised that I was the only one to vote for the Lazuli album as for me its obviously their masterpiece. I also love Deep Purple's Whoosh! and Don Airey is clearly channelling a lot of the spirit of Jon Lord with a touch of Keith Emerson. Anyway its a very good list , I will certainly buy that Zopp album and have a good listen. The number of collaborators voting for it was considerably more than for any other album so that must mean something. I'm not a great fan of Canterbury per se so have to be dragged kicking and screaming towards that particular sub genre Wink  

I love the Lazuli album, but there was so much I loved last year, some things had to give. I listened to and enjoyed well over 300 albums from 2020. My “shortlist” when I first made one, was something like 142 albums. Cutting down is hard, and some things get cut out that perhaps don’t deserve to.

someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 02:51
To start, let me thank you for the great work, Ian Clap

You are probably right.

I did not have the time - or the mind - to listen to as much albums as I should want. Yet I came to a chosen dozen1, all worthy albums that would appear on my list in any year. I have not heard the TFK album, but I did like the Ring van Möbius album and this is reflected on my list. The final result had some pleasant surprises, and 4 albums from my list appeared in the top 10:

1. Fish - Weltschmerz (11)
2. Deluge Grander - Lunarians (62)
3. Zopp - Zopp (1)
4. The Tangent - Auto Reconnaissance (42)
5. Ring van Möbius - The 3rd Majesty (8)
6. Wobbler - Dwellers of the Deep (2)
7. Days between Stations - Giants (150)
8. Homunculus Res - Andiamo in Giro di Notte e ci Consumiamo nel Fuoco (25)
9. Logos - Sadako e le Mille Gru di Carta (3)
10. Ovrfrwd - StarStuff (88)
11. Violent Silence - Twilight Furies (186)
12. Anna von Hausswolff - All Thoughts Fly (18)

2020 was a good year for Canterbury.

1 Thirteen actually, but Dyble Longdon's Between a Breath and a Breath is not filed on PA, so I could not include it. Otherwise, it would have reached #2 or #3.

Edited by someone_else - February 27 2021 at 02:59
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 03:01

You are probably right.

You don’t upset me in the slightest Hug
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 07:18
Happy to have one in the top 10, Thirlwell & Steensland. Here's the rest of my ballot with final position and number of ballots they appeared on. Unsuprisingly I was the only person to vote for 8 of the albums.

1. JG Thirlwell & Simon Steensland - Oscillospira (4th - 8 ballots)
2. Schnellertollermeier - 5 (61st - 3 ballots)
3. Darrifourcq Hermia Ceccaldi - Kaiju Eats Cheeseburgers (100th - 1 ballot)
4. Led Bib - Live at The Vortex Jazz Club - May 3rd 2014 (106th - 1 ballot)
5. Dan Weiss Starebaby - Natural Selection (113th - 1 ballot)
6. Horse Lords - The Common Task (29th - 4 ballots)
7. Mary Halvorson's Code Girl - Artless Falling (139th - 1 ballot)
10. Guillaume Perret - A Certain Trip (66th - 2 ballot)
11. Le Grand Sbam - Furvent (19th - 6 ballots)
12. Arch Garrison - The Bitter Lay (188th - 1 ballot)
13. Behold The Arctopus - Hapeleptic Overtrove (37th - 3 ballots)
14. Artús - Cerc (188th - 2 ballots)
15. Polymorphie - Claire Vénus (159th - 1 ballot)
16. Hedvig Mollestad - Ekhidna (44th - 3 ballots)
17. Cheer-Accident - Chicago XX (227th - 1 ballot)
18. Red Fiction - Visions Of The Void (80th - 2 ballots)
19. Titan to Tachyons - Cactides (241st - 1 ballot)
20. Tigran Hamasyan - The Call Within (28th - 4 ballots)
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2021 at 07:42
I appreciate the time and effort it takes to compile a list like this. Thanks to all who participated.

Here are five albums I enjoyed last year. All received zero votes. Cry
1. Helmet of Gnats - Travelogue
2. Them Moose Rush - Dancing Maze
3. Intervals - Circadian
4. Lonely Robot - Feelings are Good
5. Harrison/Fafard - Chemical Reactions
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>