Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

TOP 20 RUSH Songs. Voting #16

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: TOP 20 RUSH Songs. Voting #16
    Posted: March 09 2021 at 03:00
The premise of the project is self-explanatory. As determined in this preliminary thread, we are using a method already tested in a similar Genesis Project.

Every participant names three songs in order of preference:
1st = 4.5 points
2nd = 3 points
3rd = 2 points
After a couple of days (weeks, months Party) I add up your "points" and announce the winning song for a current spot. Then we move on and vote for the next spot. All points are reset.

Voting is closed. We have two winners tied!
No. 16 songs are WORKING MAN and SUBDIVISIONS

1. Working Man. 14.0 pts
1. Subdivisions. 14.0 pts
3. Limelight. 11.5 pts
4. By-Tor and the Snow Dog. 11.0 pts

~~~THE LIST~~~
1. Xanadu
3. 2112
6. YYZ
16. tied:
18. to be continued

Edited by thief - March 12 2021 at 06:39
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 03:23
Working Man
Lakeside Park
Limelight

Some changes this time. Of course I still want Limelight to enter TOP20, but I also feel the need to endorse other songs! So, Working Man I choose for being clearly the most FUN song from the debut, with crushing 70s RIFF, deece Geddy vocals and all-around-ballsiness! I guess they could've gone in any direction at the time, they ultimately chose progressive rock, but if they went heavy (in the vein of Judas Priest) or trippy (like Hawkwind!) I wouldn't be surprised at all, RUSH had what it takes to ROCK for sure.
And the second place in this ballot, Lakeside Park, is likely the most fleshed out song from #3 LP. Very fresh sound, Saturday morning breeze, great even if basic drumming, just fantastic guitar tone... it's just so bright and kewl, sometimes I follow Geddy's fooling around on bass, at other times I'm tapping my feet with Neil (yeah right), and once again that guitar tone and sweet chorus gets me every time! I hope it gets in!
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
Umeda View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Umeda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 04:38
1. Red Sector A;
2. Working Man;
3. By-Tor And The Snow Dog;

"Working Man" is my favorite Alex Lifeson performance.
Not for rent. To any God or government.
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 07:30
I'm torn between picking songs I want vs songs I think have a chance to make the list. With that in mind...

1. Limelight
2. Marathon
3. The Enemy Within
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 09:53
1. By Tor & the Snow Dog
2. Secret Touch
3. Red Sector A

I'm sticking with my picks, kinda my 3 from the 3 eras. Most of the early material is already in but to me By Tor is the song that really brought them to the progressive rock/prog metal scene with the fantasy story telling by Neil. Secret Touch from their amazing "comeback" album, that song has always kicked a$$ for me, it's such a driving song from start to finish and then Red Sector A, that spacey synth techno prog rock era that many don't like but I love as it shows their broad talent for adjusting to the times.
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 11:47
1. Working Man
2. Losing it
3. Headlong Flight
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 13:42
1. The Trees
2. The Twilight Zone
3. Limelight
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:02
1 - Subdivisions
2 - Limelight
3 - Working Man
tempest_77 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tempest_77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2021 at 14:53
1: By-Tor and the Snow Dog
2: Subdivisions
3: The Necromancer

I also have made some changes to mine based on results. The Necromancer is what I'd actually like to see added the most, but I seem to be the only one voting for it, so I've put it third. Based on the votes and results of the last poll, it seemed like the next song will be either Limelight or Subdivisions, and I'd rather see it be the latter, so I picked that one next. However, based on the votes so far, it seems like Working Man is winning, which is a fine song, but I prefer By-Tor and the Snow Dog to any of those three, and if I put it first, then it stands a chance against Limelight and Working Man based on the votes so far.

I use they/them pronouns (feel free to ask me about this!)

Check out my music on my bandcamp!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 01:02
1. Subdivisions
2. Manhattan Project  
3. Animate

tactically changed 1 and 2 round in the hope we can get at least one more post Moving Pictures track into the list!
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 02:07
Great! I love tactics, rivalries and machinations in these polls...

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 05:37
No machinations from me. Sticking with the same except for one new one to replace The Spirit of Radio.

1. Anthem
2. Distant Early Warning
3. Subdivisions
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:08
For any Rush fans that wave watched the show Billions..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA8lZmJNg0c
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 10 2021 at 11:14
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

For any Rush fans that wave watched the show Billions..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mA8lZmJNg0c

Yes a great inclusion into the scene! Clap
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 11 2021 at 00:45
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 00:45
Okay I'll be closing this later today, so please vote! Every ballot means a lot
TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 01:12
1. Witch Hunt
2. Losing It
3. Halo Effect
thief View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thief Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2021 at 06:40
We have two winners tied!

TOP20 Songs
Genesis
Rush
 Post Reply Post Reply