Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Todd Rundgren/Utopia

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Best album from his prog 'era'?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [30.43%]
11 [47.83%]
2 [8.70%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
1 [4.35%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [4.35%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Todd Rundgren/Utopia
    Posted: May 13 2021 at 02:13
Todd has been (reluctantly according to the man) inducted into the Hall of Fame - what's your favourite from his 'prog' catalogue?
VianaProghead View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote VianaProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 02:42
Todd Rundgren's Utopia.
"PROG IS MY FERRARI".
Jem Godfrey (Frost*)
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 05:09
Hermit is one of my faves, but for prog it must be the masterpiece that's often forgotten, Todd Rundgren's Utopia.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 06:28
I voted for Utopia. I remember the first time I heard that album. It blew my mind away.
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 06:39
"A Wizard, a True Star" - one of my all time favorites.

yogev View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote yogev Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 06:59
Todd Rundgren is one of my favorite musician and one of my biggest inspirations. what's amazing about him is that besides prog he also experimented with psychedelia and electronica. and with all that he is also the king of pop and ballads. I'm so happy for him that he get to the hall of fame. 

I voted for A Wizard a True Star.
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 07:17
"Someone's saving Singring.  SINGRING!"
TerLJack View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TerLJack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 07:22
Todd's one of my all time faves, and for me could do no wrong pre-90s.  Even the devout pop Utopia records are ear candy for me.
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 09:56
Originally posted by TerLJack TerLJack wrote:

Todd's one of my all time faves, and for me could do no wrong pre-90s.  Even the devout pop Utopia records are ear candy for me.

Yes, I didn't include the later Utopia stuff (as this is a prog poll) but agree!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 10:46
TRU and Another Live are essential. Vote goes to the first album, of course.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 14:52
Wizard is my fave, but many of these I haven't listened to yet.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 15:28
My favorite Rundgren lp's are Something /Anything, Wizard, and Todd....but the original Utopia is certainly the proggiest.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrufordFreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2021 at 15:51
As an absolute Todd FREAK during this era of his production (and before), I consider myself a bit of a groupie of these albums. ("Todd is God" was a saying of ours in college.)

I consider all of these albums to have incredible parts, with the proggiest being, in order:
1. Todd Rundgren's Utopia,
2. Initiation,
3. Todd,
4. Ra,
5. Faithful, and
6. A Wizard / A True Star 

Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
Rick1 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 02:33
The first Utopia album is walking away with this.  I just felt 'The Ikon' could have been edited down a bit but there you go.  I have seen Todd a number of times but Utopia only once, at Knebworth in 79 and they played 'Freedom Fighters' from that album.  A treasured musical memory.
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 05:48
My top 3 are A Wizard, a True Star, Todd and the first Utopia, I'll go with Wizard.
Progmind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Progmind Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 08:16
Really like Todd, great composer, producer and singer!

From the list voted Utopia.

Outside the list i enjoy Nazz II

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 08:22
Runddans of course!

Nahh...it’s a very good and interesting album..but I prefer A Wizard, A True Star.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
jude111 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jude111 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2021 at 20:45
I like some of his power pop stuff, but never really got into him. I prefer albums he's produced, such as XTC's Skylarking, Badfinger's Straight Up, the New York Dolls' debut. Skylarking is a bit proggy, so I went with "other."

Edited by jude111 - May 14 2021 at 20:57
dwill123 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dwill123 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 05:27

HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2021 at 20:03
I’m a “Todd” fan to the end. That album’s been my favorite for many years.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>