Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 25 side-long, or approaching, tracks/suites/epics
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

25 side-long, or approaching, tracks/suites/epics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Poll Question: If you have a preference, which of these do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
1 [1.18%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.18%]
3 [3.53%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [2.35%]
1 [1.18%]
0 [0.00%]
19 [22.35%]
3 [3.53%]
3 [3.53%]
1 [1.18%]
1 [1.18%]
3 [3.53%]
3 [3.53%]
7 [8.24%]
1 [1.18%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.18%]
11 [12.94%]
24 [28.24%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 19:29
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If anyone's interested check out my list on RYM that features nothing but 20-minute plus prog tracks.
A couple not on your list.

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:58)

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (77:54) To my knowledge it is one song.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 19:38
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

"Crystal Lake" by Klaus Schulze. Sublime.

Hi,

Agreed. AND one of the prettiest electronic albums EVER done!

The only sad thing is that there are so many of his pieces that are so far out, that listing one out of 100 is kinda weird. I like some of the stuff in the WORKS series, which is supposed to have been more open and improvised, and there are some things in those albums that are just out of this world.

Edited by moshkito - December 22 2021 at 19:40
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 19:54
Originally posted by Syzygy Syzygy wrote:

De Futura, with Sleeping Giant a close second and most of the usual suspects joint third.

De Futura for me as well. Just in the mood for that right now.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 20:10
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

If anyone's interested check out my list on RYM that features nothing but 20-minute plus prog tracks.
A couple not on your list.

Dream Theater - Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence (41:58)

Transatlantic - The Whirlwind (77:54) To my knowledge it is one song.

Cool! Thanks, Grump. I'll check em out Wink

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 20:12
These are all classics but i have a thing for VDGG so "A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers" wins!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
EduTatsumi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EduTatsumi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 20:13
King Crimson - Lizard

---------------------------

Other Choices:

Twelfth Night - Sequences

Rush - 2112

IQ - The Last Human Gateway, The Narrow Margin, Harvest of Souls

The Alan Parsons Project - The Fall of House of Usher

Marillion - Grendel, Ocean Cloud

Utopia - The Ikon

Pendragon - Queen of Hearts

Camel - Lady Fantasy

Mike Oldfield - Tubular Bells, Ommadawn, Return of Ommadawn

Mystery - Looking for Something Else

Edited by EduTatsumi - December 22 2021 at 20:18
Argentinfonico View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argentinfonico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 20:51
Close To The Edge is unbeatable.
-Will I see you tonight?
-I never make plans that far ahead.

Casablanca (1942)
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2021 at 23:04
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

BTW...

<font size="7">Where's TARKUS ??

In the poll by Hugh Manatee from yesterday -- CLICK -- as you know.

Nothing wrong with "Tarkus", I just happen to be more into my poll choices. I never really got into Tarkus and based the poll on things I like, or have been into. There is no accounting for taste, or so it is said. Of course with only 25 spaces and not spending hours researching or thinking about my list (I listed ones as they came to mind), I wouldn't even cover everything I like that has been in my collection. I probably won't bother with the part two as I had suggested I might do in the opening post.

Edited by Logan - December 22 2021 at 23:06
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 00:54
Plague
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 02:01
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

The only sad thing is that there are so many of his pieces that are so far out, that listing one out of 100 is kinda weird. I like some of the stuff in the WORKS series, which is supposed to have been more open and improvised, and there are some things in those albums that are just out of this world.
It's probably listed because (like yourself and I) Logan also thinks Crystal Lake is from one of the prettiest electronic albums ever done. I own, enjoy and love TONS of Klaus Schulze too, but Mirage is still rather special to me. It just is. Maybe someone reads this and thinks he or she should maybe check out this side-long - or album, to see what all the fuzz is about. And then maybe this person becomes a lifelong fan. Selecting one out of a hundred makes sense if you want to introduce someone to an artist because checking out a hundred 20 minute tracks would be too overwhelming.

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 23 2021 at 02:02
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 02:10
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Maybe someone reads this and thinks he or she should maybe check out this side-long - or album, to see what all the fuzz is about. And then maybe this person becomes a lifelong fan. Selecting one out of a hundred makes sense if you want to introduce someone to an artist because checking out a hundred 20 minute tracks would be too overwhelming.

Quite right. I have enjoyed everything by Klaus Schulze that I've managed to get my hands on. My preffered "sidelong" piece of his is the title track from "Inter*Face". For all those who want to know where Techno/ House music came from.
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 03:36
I wasn't sure if this poll allowed multiple votes, but I started with "A Plague Of Lighthouse Keepers", the ultimate epic.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 06:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

BTW...

Nothing wrong with "Tarkus", I just happen to be more into my poll choices. I never really got into Tarkus and based the poll on things I like, or have been into. There is no accounting for taste, or so it is said. Of course with only 25 spaces and not spending hours researching or thinking about my list (I listed ones as they came to mind), I wouldn't even cover everything I like that has been in my collection. I probably won't bother with the part two as I had suggested I might do in the opening post.
My last recommendation was a Santa Hat emoticon, now I think we need a Tongue In Cheek emoticon. I think your list was fine.
Although, I prefer Klaus Schulze's Miditerranean Pads even though it comes up short on your time criteria.

Edited by JD - December 23 2021 at 06:11
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 07:07
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

BTW...

I enjoy your polls even though our tastes in music are far apart. Wink

Edited by Grumpyprogfan - December 23 2021 at 07:07
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 07:58
Logan's polls are always impossible for me to give my vote. Standouts for me personally/in the last decade or so are:

Sleeping Giant, Crystal Lake, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, Mumps, Moon in June, Lizard, The End, De Futura, Atom Heart Mother, Musique pour l'Odyssée, Song of the Marching Children, Alpha Centauri, Halleluwah, Mixtus Orbis... and of course I love Supper's Ready & Close to the Edge as well...plus quite like - or maybe even love the rest. How the hell am I going to choose one sidelong here over all the others?

Edited by Saperlipopette! - December 23 2021 at 07:59
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 08:33

Logan's polls are always impossible for me to give my vote. Standouts for me personally/in the last decade or so are:

Sleeping Giant, Crystal Lake, A Plague of Lighthouse Keepers, Mumps, Moon in June, Lizard, The End, De Futura, Atom Heart Mother, Musique pour l'Odyssée, Song of the Marching Children, Alpha Centauri, Halleluwah, Mixtus Orbis... and of course I love Supper's Ready & Close to the Edge as well...plus quite like - or maybe even love the rest. How the hell am I going to choose one sidelong here over all the others?
Your last decade or so lasts almost five decades? Tongue
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HolyMoly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 08:42

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

It's probably listed because (like yourself and I) Logan also thinks Crystal Lake is from one of the prettiest electronic albums ever done. I own, enjoy and love TONS of Klaus Schulze too, but Mirage is still rather special to me. It just is. Maybe someone reads this and thinks he or she should maybe check out this side-long - or album, to see what all the fuzz is about. And then maybe this person becomes a lifelong fan. Selecting one out of a hundred makes sense if you want to introduce someone to an artist because checking out a hundred 20 minute tracks would be too overwhelming.

My advice to newbies to Klaus would be: If you only have 30 minutes to decide if you’re a Schulze fan or not, Crystal Lake from Mirage should be your next listen.
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 09:09
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

My advice to newbies to Klaus would be: If you only have 30 minutes to decide if you’re a Schulze fan or not, Crystal Lake from Mirage should be your next listen.

Hi,

Love it ... but I might joke about this, though. If you have to place a time element when you go listen to Klaus Schulze ... please don't bother!

And there are some outstanding things, like the DVD with Lisa Garrard, when you get to see him in action and how he works and develops things. And unlike a lot of musicians, he is his own sound man, and adjusts the levels himself as he goes and how many channels and all that come together or not. AND, the addon special bit in the DVD about him and a tech discussing one little bit in his piece, will give you a HUGE IDEA of what Klaus does in his music, that we can't even conceive or find. Try to find that bit on the DVD ... I couldn't find it!

I doubt that many musicians, are that capable or close. Thorsten Quaeschning might be one, but he does not do solo stuff, like Klaus does simple to exercise his mind and brain. Special for me, is his WORKS material that has other folks in them, and is supposed to have been more improvised and less about his sound/music design in his electronic pieces. By comparison, some of these seem almost acoustic. 

AND, he has pieces there that are far more than 45 minutes ... and still far out ... time to close your eyes, and simply fly with it ... no other way to describe it! 

LET THE MUSIC LIVE.

Edited by moshkito - December 23 2021 at 09:11
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Earl of Mar View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Earl of Mar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 09:20
Same question
Same answer 
Close to the Edge.
Hiram View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hiram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2021 at 09:30
VDGG followed by Can, Magma and Yes. 

Had you included "Echoes" instead of "Atom Heart Mother", I'm not sure I could've decided on #1 spot. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>