Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Tribute Bands and Prog Radio
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Snicolette's Progrock.com Nickie's Niches

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snicolette's Progrock.com Nickie's Niches
    Posted: January 30 2022 at 13:21
I started doing little mini-reviews for purchases I'd made in Bandcamp during their "Bandcamp Fridays," last year, and was approached by Chuck Simons at Progrock.com to contribute to his "Top 10," show on Tuesdays, 8AM - 10AM PST.

Bandcamp Fridays is where they waive their fees for purchases the first Friday of each month, (at least for 4 more months).  I usually I review 6-10 artists in progressive as well as other genres that have caught my ear on the Tuesday preceding Bandcamp Friday.

If you would like to come along to hear my segment (Nickie's Niches), it is the first one of the show, this Tuesday, 1 February, it is starting 5 minutes early, so check in a bit early.  If you'd like to come along to the live chat that day, you can PM me here and I will send you an invite.  

Link to Progrock.com: https://progrock.com/

Edited by Snicolette - March 27 2023 at 07:53
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 14:27
Do I have to catch this at the right time or can it still be found later online? I'm definitely interested but chances are I can't make the indicated time.

Edited by Lewian - January 30 2022 at 14:27
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2022 at 14:38
There is always a podcast, usually available same day.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 13:05
Link for those who would like to check in to the podcast: https://podcasts.progrock.com/2022/02/01/progrock-for-beginners-nickies-niches-2-february-2022/?fbclid=IwAR0L6ZKkUWsuu-ny_ftiFGd1LyVu7pvqeLcAZ7giqo5XTrY0N75b2kaGJzc
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:28
Great, thanks! Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2022 at 15:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Great, thanks! Smile
  Happy you're interested in checking it out.  We had a good turnout today, when it was live, according to the host.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2022 at 11:06
I finally got round to listening to this. What a firework of surprises! Hope that others will enjoy it, too. Thumbs Up Only disappointment: I hoped I could hear your voice there, but not so.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2022 at 11:47
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

I finally got round to listening to this. What a firework of surprises! Hope that others will enjoy it, too. Thumbs Up Only disappointment: I hoped I could hear your voice there, but not so.

Thank you so much, Christian!  We had really high numbers for the first two, and I am working on familiarizing myself with Audacity software, to see if I can prepare the whole thing, with my voice as well.  But it's taking time, as I am also finally getting to unpacking some things for my house after 2 years in storage, during a complicated move.  

So glad you enjoyed it!  Hopefully you will like the one that I'm working on for this coming month.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 11:50
I started doing little mini-reviews for purchases I'd made in Bandcamp during their "Bandcamp Fridays," last year, and was approached by Chuck Simons at Progrock.com to contribute to his "Top 10," show monthly, on Tuesday, 8AM - 10AM PST.  This installment will air today, 1 March.

I usually I review 6-10 artists in progressive as well as other genres that have caught my ear on the Tuesday preceding Bandcamp Friday.

Chuck reads the mini-reviews I’ve prepared and then plays a tune I’ve selected as a favourite, or indicative of what one might expect in listening to the rest of the release.  These reviews are also posted on the artist’s bandcamp page.

There will a podcast available on progrock afterwards, if it’s at an inconvenient time for a live listen.  If you'd like to come along to the live chat that day, you can PM me here and I will send you an invite.  

Bandcamp Fridays is when they waive their fees for purchases the first Friday of each month, (at least for 4 more months).  I usually I review 6-10 artists in progressive as well as other genres that have caught my ear on the Tuesday preceding Bandcamp Friday.

Link to Progrock.com:  https://progrock.com/

Edited by Snicolette - March 01 2022 at 07:46
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 18:06
neat!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2022 at 18:44
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

neat!
  Thanks!  If I can get adept at Audacity, I may record them myself for presentation. But not there yet, lol.  There's almost always some folky-ish or ethnic type music in there, too.

Edited by Snicolette - February 27 2022 at 18:45
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2022 at 13:33
Attention!  Didja miss it?  Too early/too late/otherwise inconvenient?  Here's a link to the podcast of Nickie's Niches #3: https://podcasts.progrock.com/2022/03/01/6565/?fbclid=IwAR0lBcqgCDA3jvLhqzmrcpz0GmmPLvxDB6gbLHgYa2PrzpX15EdiTkg8v68
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 19:14
I saw the news today that Bandcamp was acquired by Epic Games.  How is that going to change Bandcamp?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2022 at 19:19
Here's what Ethan Diamond (Co-Founder and CEO) had to say about it (an excerpt):

Bandcamp will keep operating as a standalone marketplace and music community, and I will continue to lead our team. The products and services you depend on aren’t going anywhere, we’ll continue to build Bandcamp around our artists-first revenue model (where artists net an average of 82% of every sale), you’ll still have the same control over how you offer your music, Bandcamp Fridays will continue as planned, and the Daily will keep highlighting the diverse, amazing music on the site. However, behind the scenes we’re working with Epic to expand internationally and push development forward across Bandcamp, from basics like our album pages, mobile apps, merch tools, payment system, and search and discovery features, to newer initiatives like our vinyl pressing and live streaming services.

Link to the whole blog released: 

https://blog.bandcamp.com/2022/03/02/bandcamp-is-joining-epic/
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 10:34
Just found your first podcast, and started listening to it! Great idea, and great page. I should have done that a long time ago, instead of spending so much time writing reviews :D.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 11:05
Originally posted by Raff Raff wrote:

Just found your first podcast, and started listening to it! Great idea, and great page. I should have done that a long time ago, instead of spending so much time writing reviews :D.

Hello Raff!  I've been wondering for some time how you and Micky are doing.  Big hugs to you both!  HugHug

Yes, I am a bit in awe reviewers who actually write detailed reviews, even these short ones can be hard to come up with just the right descriptives.  It truly is an art to be able to do proper reviewing.

I like to give the lesser-knowns some exposure where I can.  The shows are very varied in scope and am still learning the pacing of them, as far as order of presentation.  

Thank you for stopping by and I do hope you are both doing well in these crazy times.  Heart

~Nickie
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 11:43
Thank you, Nickie, we are doing reasonably well, considering the global situation. Anyway, I have now listened to the whole podcast, and found it much to my liking. I hadn't listened to so much new prog in a long, long time! Unfortunately I have lost a lot of interest in exploring new music, but I am glad you are giving me and others the opportunity to listen to some excellent picks.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 11:58

Hi Raff! Hug
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 12:06

Thank you, Nickie, we are doing reasonably well, considering the global situation. Anyway, I have now listened to the whole podcast, and found it much to my liking. I hadn't listened to so much new prog in a long, long time! Unfortunately I have lost a lot of interest in exploring new music, but I am glad you are giving me and others the opportunity to listen to some excellent picks.
Wow, thank you so much, Raff!  Glad to hear you're as OK as anyone can be, these days.  

I got so much help and support from others, that it just made sense to start paying it forward.  Of course there will be some of the "biggies," included from time to time (as long as they're on Bandcamp), but my real focus is on lesser-known artists, and not just progressive, as you'll find.  Always been a fan of the underdog.  
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Raff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2022 at 12:12
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Hi Raff! Hug

Hi Iah Hug! Long time no see! Great job on your own podcast too. We listened to the first one this morning, and will listen to the others soon.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>